How many calories is too little and why?

Options
I'm in my late 20s and currently I'm 'dieting.' I've cut out junk food, pizza, takeout food, etc, etc. and even cut down heavily on alcohol. After a month of this my appetite has stabled and i usually eat around 1200 calories of food comprised mainly of meat abd fat in every meal as I've stopped bread and pasta too. I can easily eat less that 1200kcal though as I've just not got that hunger as i used to have but i force myself to eat more to get to at least 1200kcal.

So, i feel naturally able to eat as little as 1000kcal, why is my body not telling me to eat more i.e. why am i not hungry?

Can anyone give me some info at different calorie intakes what the body starts doing (muscle loss, starvation mode, etc) and could anyone give some advice like should i do things like have a cheat day to boost metabolism, etc?

I'm just quite confused as before my diet i was eating too much and gaining weight, now I'm losing weight but I worry I'm not doing it correctly despite my appetite being quite low, stable and very manageable.

I'm just under 200lbs and 5'10" btw.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode isn't something you have to worry about. There really isn't an "official" number...more of a "if your deficit is too high" to muscle loss. 1500 calories is seen as a guideline to ensure you're getting adequate nutrition, but most likely you can lose eating more than that.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Have you stopped almost all your carb intake? You mentioned mostly eating meat and fat. If you are doing a lower carb diet this can have effect on your appetite. Are you possibly just ignoring your body's signals to eat?

Maybe including some information about your diet, how long you have doing this etc would be helpful.

In any regard, you need to get your intake to a minimum of 1500 calories as you are heading for numerous side effects from not eating eating enough, muscle loss etc and possible longer term health issues.
  • Brimstone14
    Brimstone14 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Have you stopped almost all your carb intake? You mentioned mostly eating meat and fat. If you are doing a lower carb diet this can have effect on your appetite. Are you possibly just ignoring your body's signals to eat?

Maybe including some information about your diet, how long you have doing this etc would be helpful.

In any regard, you need to get your intake to a minimum of 1500 calories as you are heading for numerous side effects from not eating eating enough, muscle loss etc and possible longer term health issues.

Yeah, i am not really shooting for low carb but that's what it's working out as, I'm averaging about 50g carbs daily as I've cut out bread, pasta, fries, chocolate, juice drinks. Carbs come from fruit and condiments just.

I've been doing this for about 30 days now. I'm not particularly active due to having torn knee ligaments and unsuccessful corrective operations, that's why i believe helped me pile 9n the weight. I gained about 50+ pounds in about 4 years by eating what i wanted, i think my weakness is sugary things like cakes and chocolate.

I've not really ignored my bodies hunger signals i wouldn't say but I've not really had that hunger like before when i was just burning sugar. Saying that, i would find it easier not to eat if i wanted to do that.
  • Brimstone14
    Options
    You're male and you want to voluntarily eat only 1000 cals?

Why?

I'm not voluntarily eating 1000kcal. I've been dieting and i seem to not have the urge to eat anything more and my intake is only 1000kcal after logging.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Go to the section starting at Negative Effects on Weight Loss from Undereating and read from there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1
  • Brimstone14
    Options
    Go to the section starting at Negative Effects on Weight Loss from Undereating and read from there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10569458/why-eating-too-little-calories-is-a-bad-idea/p1

Thanks
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    A guy with your stats, I find it very hard to believe you're not hungry only eating 1k calories a day consistently. Maybe I'm jaded (and it's entirely possible), but when I read this kind of thing, my first thought is you're eating more than you think. Which in your case is very good news as this is an all around bad weight loss plan for reasons that have already been mentioned.

How much weight have you lost over the last month since you started doing this?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How fast are you losing? That's relevant to determining what your deficit currently is and how much you may be undereating.

You don't want to lose more muscle than you need to, which is one big concern.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 200lbs and 5'10" btw.

Depending on if you work out / how active you are with your weight and height you should successfully lose weight by eating ~ 2000 calories per day or even more.
    In any case eating below 1500 is dangerous. I would choose slower weight loss and wouldn't eat less than my BMR.

I'm currently 40, 190 lbs and 5'11 and I lose weight just fine eating around 2000 calories with some strength training in the mix.

• slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    measure your food to make sure your tracking is accurate. track EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth. and eat your veggies!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,269 Member
    Options

Yeah, i am not really shooting for low carb but that's what it's working out as, I'm averaging about 50g carbs daily as I've cut out bread, pasta, fries, chocolate, juice drinks. Carbs come from fruit and condiments just.

I've been doing this for about 30 days now. I'm not particularly active due to having torn knee ligaments and unsuccessful corrective operations, that's why i believe helped me pile 9n the weight. I gained about 50+ pounds in about 4 years by eating what i wanted, i think my weakness is sugary things like cakes and chocolate.

I've not really ignored my bodies hunger signals i wouldn't say but I've not really had that hunger like before when i was just burning sugar. Saying that, i would find it easier not to eat if i wanted to do that.

I hope you're eating plenty of vegetables, too?!? A minimum of 5 daily servings of varied, colorful veggies would be good (10 would be better). You need micronutrients & fiber, tool (A vitamin pill is Not. The. Same.)
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    If you're having trouble filling up your calories because you feel full, try swapping out a few of your foods for calorie dense foods. Ones to consider are: nuts, salmon, peanut butter, ice cream. No need to go crazy with them, but a few strategic substitutions should get you back up to 1,500, which is the minimum you should be at.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    And how much weight have you been losing per week?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    One negative medical outcome is, very low calorie diets often cause gallstones. When I did an 800 calorie diet 20+ years ago it was under a doctor's supervision and I had to get liver enzyme tests regularly. If you're going to do this, I strongly suggest you clear it with your doctor first. There can be other medical reasons why some should not be crash dieting.

Worse, it's not teaching you how to live in maintenance once the weight loss is over. That's why it's better to think in terms of permanent lifestyle changes rather than "crash" dieting. It's also more difficult to make sure you're getting all the nutrients you need on a very low calorie diet.

You're young, you're only 200 lbs and 5'10", so there's no reason you should be trying to rush things. Do it the right way and you'll have a better chance of not having to come back to MFP a few years from now with a "back again" post, and having lost any gains you got through your crash dieting.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

And the winner for Most Relevant Question in This Thread is ... ^^^

OP, the best gauge for whether you're eating too little is how fast you're losing weight. Since you've been at this for a month or more, and you're not obese (not sure if you're even overweight, given the vague statement that you're "just under" 200 lbs, whatever that means exactly), you shouldn't be losing more than 2 lbs a week, and 1 lb a week would be better. Given how many people turn out to be eating a lot more than they think they are (and you don't mention whether you're using a food scale), eat enough so that you don't lose more than 2 lbs a week on average, and aim for no more than a pound a week if you're concerned about conserving muscle during your weight loss.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

And the winner for Most Relevant Question in This Thread is ... ^^^

OP, the best gauge for whether you're eating too little is how fast you're losing weight. Since you've been at this for a month or more, and you're not obese (not sure if you're even overweight, given the vague statement that you're "just under" 200 lbs, whatever that means exactly), you shouldn't be losing more than 2 lbs a week, and 1 lb a week would be better. Given how many people turn out to be eating a lot more than they think they are (and you don't mention whether you're using a food scale), eat enough so that you don't lose more than 2 lbs a week on average, and aim for no more than a pound a week if you're concerned about conserving muscle during your weight loss.

Exactly.

And I asked this because it is rare for someone new to logging, especially a male, to actually be eating 1200 calories (and even more so with claims not to be hungry).

I eat 1200 calories sometimes and it takes WORK. I weigh my damn spinach and log my gum.