How many calories is too little and why?

Options
2»

Replies

• Brimstone14
    Brimstone14 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For all wanting to know my weight loss, i started at 210lbs now I'm 195lbs. Been eating how i am consistently for 28 days quite comfortably, appetite wise, I'm eating without long gaps and I'm eating good food that's not high glycemic or processed. I believe a fair bit of that initial weight loss may have been water and just the fact there's not as much food in my stomach as I'm obviously eating less food daily on average. Also the weight loss has been gradually slowing down, in the last 7 days I've lost 1.5lbs, which is a lower amount thab the weeks before obviously. I would maybe guess that since I've cut my carbs dramatically from before i was dieting and i have been lifting and going long walks, my muscle glycogen will be lower and i think glycogen in the muscles retains water (i think).

I use scales for nuts and protein powder, i tend to trust labels otherwise.

Thanks for all replies.
  • Brimstone14
    Brimstone14 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Have you stopped almost all your carb intake? You mentioned mostly eating meat and fat. If you are doing a lower carb diet this can have effect on your appetite. Are you possibly just ignoring your body's signals to eat?

Maybe including some information about your diet, how long you have doing this etc would be helpful.

In any regard, you need to get your intake to a minimum of 1500 calories as you are heading for numerous side effects from not eating eating enough, muscle loss etc and possible longer term health issues.

Yeah, i am not really shooting for low carb but that's what it's working out as, I'm averaging about 50g carbs daily as I've cut out bread, pasta, fries, chocolate, juice drinks. Carbs come from fruit and condiments just.

I've been doing this for about 30 days now. I'm not particularly active due to having torn knee ligaments and unsuccessful corrective operations, that's why i believe helped me pile 9n the weight. I gained about 50+ pounds in about 4 years by eating what i wanted, i think my weakness is sugary things like cakes and chocolate.

I've not really ignored my bodies hunger signals i wouldn't say but I've not really had that hunger like before when i was just burning sugar. Saying that, i would find it easier not to eat if i wanted to do that.

I hope you're eating plenty of vegetables, too?!? A minimum of 5 daily servings of varied, colorful veggies would be good (10 would be better). You need micronutrients & fiber, tool (A vitamin pill is Not. The. Same.)

I meant to include vegetables. But truth be told i don't eat that much. I usually have 1 salad per day. But the thing is that's more than i used to have before the diet. Why are supplement pills not the same, vitamin wise?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Have you stopped almost all your carb intake? You mentioned mostly eating meat and fat. If you are doing a lower carb diet this can have effect on your appetite. Are you possibly just ignoring your body's signals to eat?

Maybe including some information about your diet, how long you have doing this etc would be helpful.

In any regard, you need to get your intake to a minimum of 1500 calories as you are heading for numerous side effects from not eating eating enough, muscle loss etc and possible longer term health issues.

Yeah, i am not really shooting for low carb but that's what it's working out as, I'm averaging about 50g carbs daily as I've cut out bread, pasta, fries, chocolate, juice drinks. Carbs come from fruit and condiments just.

I've been doing this for about 30 days now. I'm not particularly active due to having torn knee ligaments and unsuccessful corrective operations, that's why i believe helped me pile 9n the weight. I gained about 50+ pounds in about 4 years by eating what i wanted, i think my weakness is sugary things like cakes and chocolate.

I've not really ignored my bodies hunger signals i wouldn't say but I've not really had that hunger like before when i was just burning sugar. Saying that, i would find it easier not to eat if i wanted to do that.

I hope you're eating plenty of vegetables, too?!? A minimum of 5 daily servings of varied, colorful veggies would be good (10 would be better). You need micronutrients & fiber, tool (A vitamin pill is Not. The. Same.)

I meant to include vegetables. But truth be told i don't eat that much. I usually have 1 salad per day. But the thing is that's more than i used to have before the diet. Why are supplement pills not the same, vitamin wise?

Two things, mainly:

1. Some vitamins in supplement forms have been shown to be injurious to some subpopulations even when larger amounts are beneficial in the food-sourced forms. One easy example is Vitamin A. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminA-HealthProfessional/ .

2. I'm old (62). Over the course of my adult life, science has discovered a number of essential or beneficial nutrients (vitamins, other phytochemicals like antioxidants). Once those are identified, they're included in supplements. They were in heathy foods all along. I'd be profoundly surprised if we've now discovered all of them.

Third, speaking now only for myself, because it's hearsay/anecdotal, I've so far known three people who did research relevant to this question (I live near a major research university, and worked there - you meet lots of fun science folks). All of them suggested preferring a healthy, well rounded diet and avoiding self-prescribed OTC supplements, the latter having more unknowns and risks than benefits in general, with the possible exception of a non-mega-dose multivitamin as insurance.

In summary, food is evolution tested. We're designed to eat it. Science can help us optimize food choices within the wide array of available history-proven options, but so far IMO has not come close to replacing it. I particularly don't understand why someone would cut out processed foods, then turn around and rely on supplements for basic nutrition . . . they're kind of the ultimate processed foods. ;)
  • 90kgToNewMe
    90kgToNewMe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/supplements/art-20044894

“Supplements aren't intended to substitute for food. They can't replicate all of the nutrients and benefits of whole foods, such as fruits and vegetables. Whole foods offer three main benefits over dietary supplements:

Greater nutrition. Whole foods are complex, containing a variety of the micronutrients your body needs.
    Essential fiber. Whole foods, such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables and legumes, provide dietary fiber. As part of a healthy diet, fiber can help prevent certain diseases, such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease, and it can also help manage constipation.
    Protective substances. Many whole foods are also good sources of antioxidants — substances that slow down a natural process leading to cell and tissue damage. It isn't clear that antioxidant supplements offer the same benefits as antioxidants in food. Some high-dose antioxidant supplements have been associated with health risks.”

You really need to eat vegetables and you need the fibre. The worlds Centenarian populations all ate a LOT of fibre.

Check MFP for how much you are consuming.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options

Two things, mainly:

1. Some vitamins in supplement forms have been shown to be injurious to some subpopulations even when larger amounts are beneficial in the food-sourced forms. One easy example is Vitamin A. https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminA-HealthProfessional/ .

2. I'm old (62). Over the course of my adult life, science has discovered a number of essential or beneficial nutrients (vitamins, other phytochemicals like antioxidants). Once those are identified, they're included in supplements. They were in heathy foods all along. I'd be profoundly surprised if we've now discovered all of them.

Third, speaking now only for myself, because it's hearsay/anecdotal, I've so far known three people who did research relevant to this question (I live near a major research university, and worked there - you meet lots of fun science folks). All of them suggested preferring a healthy, well rounded diet and avoiding self-prescribed OTC supplements, the latter having more unknowns and risks than benefits in general, with the possible exception of a non-mega-dose multivitamin as insurance.

In summary, food is evolution tested. We're designed to eat it. Science can help us optimize food choices within the wide array of available history-proven options, but so far IMO has not come close to replacing it. I particularly don't understand why someone would cut out processed foods, then turn around and rely on supplements for basic nutrition . . . they're kind of the ultimate processed foods. ;)

These are all good reasons to choose food over supplements when possible. Just want to add one more reason: some supplements don't have the ingredients they claim to have, and others have contaminants and potential allergens they don't mention.

for example,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/02/03/gnc-target-wal-mart-walgreens-accused-of-selling-fake-herbals/

and

:"The United States Pharmacopeial Convention runs a voluntary testing program for supplements, testing vitamins and supplements to ensure they actually contain what they claim to in the amounts listed. Plus they test to make sure the products are contaminant-free and made with clean, safe manufacturing practices. They maintain a list of all the supplements that are certified on their website, and it contains shockingly few brands. It’s basically just NatureMade and Costco’s Kirkland Signature brand. You can also look for their USP certified label on the supplement itself."

https://www.popsci.com/dangerous-supplement-exposures#page-3

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Mate, eat! Your body is not only burning fat but also muscles. You don't want to lose them as you'd just look skinny fat in the end (and no, even as a bloke you don't rebuild muscles quickly again). There's only so much fat a body can burn, if your body needs more energy it does munch on your muscles. And hey, your heart is a muscle as well. You don't want your body to get energy from that, do you?