What diary entry would you use: Baked sweet potato

I'm baking a sweet potato today, but scraping out the insides and just eating those, NOT the skin--obviously. Having trouble trusting the diary entry for cooked (I'm not adding oil or anything).

What entry would you use? I could weigh it before/after cooking, but if I'm not eating the skin, how is that accurate?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited February 2018
    Edited to 'What he said.' :smiley:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    :lol: Beat me to it, and with a pic to boot!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK YOU. I don't know why I never remember to look there. I always think of it for raw foods.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Why not eat the skin? Lots of nice nutrients.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    If you have something against the skin, why not peel it first, weigh it, then cook it?
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    I eat them all the time as well... though I also eat shrimp tails and shells
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Yeah. I don't think I've ever not eaten the skin of a sweet potato? It's good.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Why not eat the skin? Lots of nice nutrients.

Yeah, there's lots of calcium in egg shells, and I don't eat them, either.

Lots of people eat sweet potato skins, just like white potato skins. They're good (to some of us). Almost no one eats egg shells.

No one has to eat sweet potato skins if they don't enjoy them . . . but I'm questioning "I'm baking a sweet potato today, but scraping out the insides and just eating those, NOT the skin--obviously."

If you like the skins, go ahead and eat them. In my experience, the percentage of people who eat them is pretty small. As in, I don't remember ever seeing someone eat the skin. They're much thicker and tougher than white potato skins -- I wonder if we're talking about the same vegetable or the same variety of sweet potato. I eat white potato skins, apple skins, pear skins, peach skins, and I can't imagine someone enjoying a sweet potato skin. I think it's telling that none of the entries in the USDA database for sweet potatoes include the skin (the one for prepared from raw all say either "flesh only" or "without skin" and I've never seen frozen or canned sweet potatoes packed with the skin). It's clearly not something that their data tell them gets eaten much.

Are you in the U.S.? If you're in another country, maybe you get a different variety of sweet potato with a thinner skin?

With the exception of this thread, clearly. (another skin eater, just to skew the % towards skin eaters even more :D)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    So how do all you skin eaters log them, given that the USDA nutrient database cannot imagine the idea that anyone would be interested in the nutritional data for the skin?

And, @Kalex1975 , I find the idea of eating shrimp tails and shells much less off-putting than the idea of eating sweet potato skins. I mean, it's not something I do intentionally, but if I miss a bit of the shell or a couple legs when I'm peeling them, I don't spit them out.

I frequently eat edamame pods (intentionally) -- they're nice and chewy. But sweet potato skins? Nope.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    So how do all you skin eaters log them, given that the USDA nutrient database cannot imagine the idea that anyone would be interested in the nutritional data for the skin?

And, @Kalex1975 , I find the idea of eating shrimp tails and shells much less off-putting than the idea of eating sweet potato skins. I mean, it's not something I do intentionally, but if I miss a bit of the shell or a couple legs when I'm peeling them, I don't spit them out.

I frequently eat edamame pods (intentionally) -- they're nice and chewy. But sweet potato skins? Nope.

11507, sweet potato, raw, unprepared.

• AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    I mean, I used to not eat potato skins when I was a kid, but there was a lot of things I didn’t eat as a picky kid. I especially eat the sweet potato skins as I can find the innards almost too mushy and like the texture added by the skin. To each their own, as usual, I just didn’t realize people didn’t even know you can eat them.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Just log sweet potato, weigh before baking, weigh everything that is left over after eating them. substract. Potatoes don't lose an awful lot of moisture when baking them.