Stretching

Options
I do a lot of cardio, and I think genetically tight muscles runs in my family. I do Yoga twice a week, and find it boring, and frustrating. I can't do what the instructor wants me to do, I can't even sit cross legged because my hips are so tight.

I have started the 30 minute daily Classical Stretching & Strengthening by Miranda Esmond-White at 7:30 am on PBS in US and 6am in Canada. Looking for company as I try to lengthen my tight muscles, and to keep me motivated. Perhaps there are videos someone can suggest that is gentle but will increase my range of motion. I am interested in proper form, so lots of verbal and detailed cues are helpful.

This is my first foray into message boards, so if you have time, please help or join me and we can try and figure this out together.

Replies

• chantalemarie
    chantalemarie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    www.fitnessblender.com they have tons of videos, you can search for exactly what you are looking for, and they have flexibility videos as well. they even have a 4-week flexibility program where they schedule the correct workouts for you. they are fantastic for any and all types of workout vids.
  • m287668
    m287668 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I've mountain biked and skied for years and I have incredibly tight hips. I've been doing yoga for years (although not as frequently as I should) and I still don't have half the flexibility of others in the classes. I find that Bikram yoga helps - I think the heat helps my muscles to relax and stretch a bit more but it's painfully boring because it's the same sequence every time. Yin yoga is also good because of the extended holds...but again, the boring problem. Foam rollers and tennis balls can help break of the fascia that restricts muscle movement. Also, don't be afraid to use props - they are not cheating, they really do help. Sitting on a rolled blanket will tilt your hips and help you sit on the cross legged, using blocks and straps will help when you can't touch the floor or reach your toes. Also, one more suggestion, sit on the floor whenever possible. My husband and I sit cross-legged on the floor when watching TV to help open our hips. Good luck!
  • Tedo201
    Tedo201 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I find yoga insanely boring. I genuinely don't understand the appeal and it doesn't burn that many calories relative to other exercise. I just do a simple stretch routine and a little bit of cardio.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Tedo201 wrote: »
    I find yoga insanely boring. I genuinely don't understand the appeal and it doesn't burn that many calories relative to other exercise. I just do a simple stretch routine and a little bit of cardio.
    I think it's somewhat safe to assume that the vast majority of people globally who do yoga don't do it in an effort to burn calories. I personally like the thought of it for the stretching aspect (I don't enjoy doing yoga in reality, but part of me wishes I did) and I know plenty of people who do it for that reason. There's also the spiritual aspect (which I suspect most people outside of the Indian subcontinent ignore), some people find it meditative, relaxing, useful for core stability, and so on.
  • Calpainter
    Calpainter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Classical stretch or Essentrics.com streaming has helped me loosen my hips and improve my posture a lot more then yoga classes.
  • lindabarrettoburns
    Options
    I find it very comforting knowing that I am not the only one that finds yoga boring. Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am glad to hear one other person found Eccentrics helpful. I will check out fitness Blender videos as well. Thanks all.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Talk to the yoga instructor about your concerns and ask for modifications for your condition.
  • abirdintherain
    abirdintherain Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I like using Yoga with Adriene videos on Youtube, and she has a wide range of videos for beginners to advanced, from meditation to power yoga. There are videos specifically for tight muscles, and during all of her videos she will demonstrate ways to modify for too tight muscles. I like doing yoga at home because it encourages more freedom, and being a little wiggle worm, I like having my space to do as I please. And it's free. Adriene talks a lot, which is good for beginners because the verbal cues and encouragement on what to do and how to really feel it is helpful, but I also use my Nike Training Club app yoga videos for when I want to just be told what pose to go to next without a ton of talking. I also sometimes use the Pocket Yoga app, which has from beginner to advanced level yoga as well. If yoga really isn't your thing though, I also recommend Fitness Blender stretching videos. It takes a lot of time and effort to gain flexibility, but it's worth working on, as it can make your workouts much better. At least, it did for me. It's easier to do many exercises and I feel I gain more from it because I can go into it more and deeper without pain.

Whatever route you choose, good luck! Stick with it.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I think you can easily do a lot better than Yoga for flexibility, and it doesn't take so dang long. The emergence of yoga in the modern west was sort of an incoherent clusterf*** mess of people not really knowing what they're doing (and an interesting bunch of stories, if you wanna read about it). They stumbled onto a few good moves that will work, surrounded with a bunch of suboptimal stuff.

Anyways, I'd suggest you skip that problematic word and go for "mobility" resources right off the bat and you'll have a better time with it.
    I've been doing a couple of little routines from parkour and fitness guys for the past year and a half, in-between fixing my coffee and doing the dishes after I get up. It takes about 5-10 minutes total and I'm never sore since I started. Nothing special.
  • redonkulousd
    redonkulousd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Flexibility is over-rated.
    Surely you jest. Flexibility is what will keep you from making odd noises when you bend over to tie your shoes past the age of 40.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Surely you jest. Flexibility is what will keep you from making odd noises when you bend over to tie your shoes past the age of 40.

I think he is referring to its really not necessary for strength training and is considered inefficient since the best stretch for lifting is the lift itself. In fact stretching might hinder certain lifts.

Extra stretching outside of the lift itself has no permanent benefit for strength training. That being said, if you like it...have at it.

I'm well over 40 with a nasty progressive joint disease and don't make odd noises when bending over other than the sound of barbells clanging in a squat or deadlift. Well maybe a fart...
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    m287668 wrote: »
    I have the same problem. I've mountain biked and skied for years and I have incredibly tight hips. I've been doing yoga for years (although not as frequently as I should) and I still don't have half the flexibility of others in the classes. I find that Bikram yoga helps - I think the heat helps my muscles to relax and stretch a bit more but it's painfully boring because it's the same sequence every time. Yin yoga is also good because of the extended holds...but again, the boring problem. Foam rollers and tennis balls can help break of the fascia that restricts muscle movement. Also, don't be afraid to use props - they are not cheating, they really do help. Sitting on a rolled blanket will tilt your hips and help you sit on the cross legged, using blocks and straps will help when you can't touch the floor or reach your toes. Also, one more suggestion, sit on the floor whenever possible. My husband and I sit cross-legged on the floor when watching TV to help open our hips. Good luck!

I was going to suggest Yin too. I am SUPER inflexible and I can't believe how much range of motion I've been able to increase in my hips with Yin (wish I could do the same with my shoulders). The key is to not push too far and use props if you need them. Just take it the edge and hang out there. As far as the boredom, I do it right before bed and it's very peaceful and meditative and put's me right to sleep afterwards. There are some great youtube videos. Fightmaster yoga is a good one.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I think he is referring to its really not necessary for strength training and is considered inefficient since the best stretch for lifting is the lift itself. In fact stretching might hinder certain lifts.

Extra stretching outside of the lift itself has no permanent benefit for strength training. That being said, if you like it...have at it.

I'm well over 40 with a nasty progressive joint disease and don't make odd noises when bending over other than the sound of barbells clanging in a squat or deadlift. Well maybe a fart...

Exactly.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    If you can move through a good range of motion, then you probably don't need more than a dynamic warm-up to get going before a workout. But if you're like the OP in this thread, you probably do need some additional mobility work.

In-terms of benefit to strength-training, no it doesn't add strength. But if you can't move through the correct range of motion for the lift, then you're limiting yourself and potentially setting yourself up for injury. For instance, if you squat and your hips and / or your lower back are so tight that you can get into the "hole" that's not helpful for you. Not to mention if your hips are too tight to flex correctly, your quads may takeover more than they should and over time that can lead to injury or at the very least discomfort.

There is no blanket solution for mobility work in people. Some folks need more than others, some really don't need much if any mobility work. If you can roll out of bed and perform your exercise without mobility work, great. If you wake up stiff and need some mobility work, there's nothing wrong with that.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Just have to get my two cents in here. Ironically, I am extremely flexible. Have done yoga in the past - and I loved it - but perhaps because I AM flexible. But to your point here - I do a lot of running and boxing, some weights, yet I NEVER stretch. I just hope my hubris doesn't catch up to me some day....
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Stretching is really important! I don't follow a program but I do go sit on a mat and do at least ten minutes legs and back stretching and whatnot after I am done at the gym. It helped almost immediately with my constantly tired quads and lower back. I am also incorporating working on some splits :)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I wake up stiff and hurting every morning--OA, so I need to stretch before I start my day. It takes most of the pain away so I can function. When I get to the pool or gym, I'm ready to start my workout. The OP doesn't mention that she's lifting.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I wake up stiff and hurting every morning--OA, so I need to stretch before I start my day. It takes most of the pain away so I can function. When I get to the pool or gym, I'm ready to start my workout. The OP doesn't mention that she's lifting.

My bad, I took strengthening as lifting since it's the best way to achieve that goal.

Yeah most of my pain is relieved by just moving and lifting, no stretching necessary thankfully.

It's sad when people don't lift, strength training has so many benefits for a longer better quality life.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Exactly.

Well conveniently for you no one is forcing you to stretch and the OP didn't mention anything about weight lifting. Meanwhile for various sports, including ones that involve needing a lot of muscular strength (like rock climbing) stretching is far from overrated.