So you’ve lost the weight...

Options
13»

Replies

• r3488
    r3488 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Not really, but then I've always been friendly, outgoing, and confident. However, I am starting to get the comments about not needing to lose more weight (down 76 pounds, 50 more to goal). Of course I have more to lose--my BMI is still in the obese range!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    r3488 wrote: »
    Not really, but then I've always been friendly, outgoing, and confident. However, I am starting to get the comments about not needing to lose more weight (down 76 pounds, 50 more to goal). Of course I have more to lose--my BMI is still in the obese range!

Sometimes I think people say that not necessarily because they really believe it but because they think it is a compliment and will make you feel good. It's a way of saying oh you're not overweight...
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    My family and friends don’t treat me any differently, but I find that strangers are a lot more courteous and friendly,
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    It depends on what group of friends... some friends reacted really aggressively and made inappropriate advances, but most seem not affected by me. Which, I assume is the way it should be? Why would my weight change affect us? I still act the same, I drink the same, I socialize the same, I just eat less.

But I will say, it really pissed me off the way I felt "pounced" on. I didn't/don't have much to lose, 20 pounds give or take, but it's like they are implying I wasn't a person before. Let's not talk about their weight though.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Interesting stories....
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's as though stores don't want to take chubby people's money. When I'm larger i never get help in shops or I get an attitude. When I'm slimmer all of a sudden i exist and get waited on like royalty. People don't make small talk when I'm heavy. If I'm trying to be nice and smile or chit chat I get dirty looks instead of smiles back. People taking up the whole sidewalk move over and compromise the space instead of expecting me to walk in the grass and move out of their way so they don't have to momentarily inconvenience their conversation to be polite on my behalf. I get my drinks quicker at the bar. I don't get dirty looks at the gym. But also, I seem to get the "she's just a silly girl" attitude more when I'm slim because I work in mainly male dominated fields (until I pull a My Cousin Vinny moment on them)
  • GoalGal50
    GoalGal50 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Lol, this weight loss thing really does impact your whole world.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Definitely notice a difference. People are generally nicer to me (I'm nice to everyone so this is weird to me). I have a few friends who have pulled away. Not really sure why but to be honest, don't really care! I've had one friend flat out tell me that I'm annoying now and she doesn't like being around me when I'm thin (we don't ever talk weight loss so this is all appearance based I guess?). Oh well, just weeding out the negative. Keep in mind, we are in our mid 30s, so no reason for childish behavior!
    My family is pretty supportive and they don't treat me different, other than the occasional comment about "you probably don't eat that" ect...
  • Secretnotes
    Secretnotes Posts: 46 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Four years ago, I went into a shop and noticed the cutest t-shirts. I asked the clerk if they had any in larger sizes. She eyed me up and down critically and said "Sorry, I don't think we carry anything in your size". I was about 160 at the time, down from about 185, so her attitude was devastating.

Two years later, I was shopping in St. Augustine, and asked the clerk if they had a particular cute t-shirt in size small (I was down to 133). She looked me up and down, shook her head no. "But," she said, "I can have the other store send over a boy's medium. It'll fit you perfectly!".

I could have hugged her. Yes, people do treat me differently.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!