VEGANS WELCOME

2»

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I'm with kaypee65. Bit harsh, guys. Perhaps we can all agree that he just used the wrong choice of wording and let it go? I think anyone that makes an effort to eat mostly vegan (or plant-based or whatever you want to call it) is doing animals and the environment (not to mention their bodies) a HUGE favour. So can we please just give some props instead of criticism?
    Also--It might help to bring someone over to veganism (if that's the goal), if say, vegans out there encouraged, rather than discouraged one's efforts.
    How many vegans out there actually go cold-turkey vegan?--pardon the pun. but not really ;)

I don't want to be less harsh.

Actual LOL.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    My protein comes from natural sources. Deer/Turkey/Bear & the fish I catch. :)

As opposed to unnatural protein? Care to give an example?

This reminds me of the lab grown meat thread.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Non-judgy vegan here looking to add like-minded friends. Anyone can feel free to add me! And for the record, I think being "mostly vegan" is better than nothing. People get so upset over terminology. Eat what you want to eat, and I'll do the same.x

Did anybody here say that reducing meat consumption (which is what OP is going, since "mostly vegan" isn't really a thing) isn't better than nothing?
  • Returning to MFP after being away for a few years. Went vegan in September 2017, initially to support my wife’s choice to do so (first thing I did when starting was go into google and type “vegan cookies”). While I have likely had a mid-step or two along the way (the waiter said it was a vegan burger, so I believed him), I am now doing this by choice. Main reason is health benefits.

The good:
    - Lost 45 lbs so far and have definitely not starved myself
    - My Type 2 diabetes is under control without any need for meds
    - More energy to keep up with my kids

The “bad”
    - My overall cholesterol level is down, but my good/bad ratio still stinks as my HDL is only around 30. Started Omegas and a glass of red wine when I remember it (never liked alcohol - food was a much tastier addiction)
    - I miss pizza

I will try to be good about asking people to be my friend, but at 48 my trepidation is ingrained in my brain. If anyone reads this and would like to make the initial overture, I will happily accept any and all requests.

Best of luck to all of us vegans, and to everybody else doing the best they can for themselves!
  • JoannaL1375
    JoannaL1375 Posts: 3 Member
    As a vegan, I'd suggest changing the forum name. It's not very welcoming here. Just came to ask about recipes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    As a vegan, I'd suggest changing the forum name. It's not very welcoming here. Just came to ask about recipes.

If you're looking for recipes, I recommending doing a search for "vegan" in the "Recipe" forum. There are multiple threads with recipes there.
  • slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Have you tried eating pizza without the cheese but just the sauce and lots of vegetables?
  • kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    Cashew cheese is delicious on vegan pizza!!! No, not the same as mozzarella, but delicious nonetheless.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    slossia wrote: »
    Have you tried eating pizza without the cheese but just the sauce and lots of vegetables?

I've had dominos like that before. I don't mind it on a thin crust pizza, but I wouldn't say it's something I have frequently (I think it's been over a year since I've had something like that).