Diet to lose weight plus try build up muscle mass and lower body fat!!

Options
Hi do you think this diet is ok to eat I need to lose weight plus try build up a bit of muscle mass and lower body fat! For breakfast I have 40g of porridge and a whey protein shake then after the gym have a whey protein shake and a fulfill protein bar then for dinner have a few frozen roasted potatoes with chicken breast and then last meal have weetabix with milk in a bowl then before bed have a casein protein shake. Do yous think this diet will work for me? Im doing resistance training 4 days a week in the gym...!!

Replies

• sflano1271
    sflano1271 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's improbable to build significant muscle mass while trying to lose fat at the same time. One is an anabolic program while the other is a catabolic program. Done at the same time, they pretty much cancel each other out. You pretty much have to pick one or the other, so pick the one that's more important to you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Will what way will I turn out like with this diet?
  • sflano1271
    Options
    sflano1271 wrote: »
    You don't eat any fruit or veg?

Excessive use of protein powder and too low in fat.

I think this diet is for building lean

I think this diet is for hating food and being unhealthy...

Ok so what diet would you suggest me with and foods to eat I struggle with my diet at the moment?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Ok so what diet would you suggest me with and foods to eat I struggle with my diet at the moment?

Whatever you like. How much protein are you trying to get?

Also, you need to decide if you're cutting/bulking/recomping
  • sflano1271
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Eat foods you like. Make sure you're eating some vegetables. Consider eating a good deal of protein (.8g per pound of body weight or lean mass).

I dont know what to be eating most foods that I like are unhealthy like fast foods etc I like eating potatoes as a carb I do steam them cause I don't really like rice but id eat white basmati rice
  • sflano1271
    Options

I need to get 197g of protein per day Id say I need to cut.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Is that how much you weigh? 197?
  • sflano1271
    Options
    It's improbable to build significant muscle mass while trying to lose fat at the same time. One is an anabolic program while the other is a catabolic program. Done at the same time, they pretty much cancel each other out. You pretty much have to pick one or the other, so pick the one that's more important to you.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Will what way will I turn out like with this diet?
    If you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight, mostly fat if you're getting enough calories in. Building muscle in a deficit isn't probable because to actually ADD mass, you're adding weight. The whole "converting" weight from fat to muscle is overly exaggerated by magazines and many in the fitness business to just sell more product or services.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I need to be in a calorie deficit and I need 197g of protein per day
  • sflano1271
    Options

Is that how much you weigh? 197?

I weigh 95kg
  • sflano1271
    Options

Eat foods you like. Make sure you're eating some vegetables. Consider eating a good deal of protein (.8g per pound of body weight or lean mass).

I dont know what to be eating most foods that I like are unhealthy like fast foods etc I like eating potatoes as a carb I do steam them cause I don't really like rice but id eat white basmati rice

Stop thinking of foods as healthy and unhealthy and think about the context of your diet and get it balanced. Is it great to eat fast food two times per day 6 days per week? Maybe not. But ask yourself WHY. Food is made up of macro and micronutrients that your body needs and uses. Even fast food has them. But, eating too much fast food can stop you from eating enough vegetables, or getting enough micro nutrients, or just eating too many calories because it is calorie dense. So eat some fast food, but balance your diet with nutrient dense food as well. You like potatoes. Eat the potato.

I'm going on and on. First decide what your goal is (weight loss or muscle gain), then set MFP up with the calories to meet that goal, then eat that many calories. Adjust the propteinn upward as it gives you a low goal.

My goal for the moment is weightloss but I dont want to lose any muscle
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

Eat foods you like, in a deficit, and workout with a progressive lifting routine until you are at or near goal and then reassess. Don't focus on muscle growth at this time, the lifting will be to mitigate muscle loss from the weight cut.
  • sflano1271
    Options

Stop thinking of foods as healthy and unhealthy and think about the context of your diet and get it balanced. Is it great to eat fast food two times per day 6 days per week? Maybe not. But ask yourself WHY. Food is made up of macro and micronutrients that your body needs and uses. Even fast food has them. But, eating too much fast food can stop you from eating enough vegetables, or getting enough micro nutrients, or just eating too many calories because it is calorie dense. So eat some fast food, but balance your diet with nutrient dense food as well. You like potatoes. Eat the potato.

I'm going on and on. First decide what your goal is (weight loss or muscle gain), then set MFP up with the calories to meet that goal, then eat that many calories. Adjust the propteinn upward as it gives you a low goal.

How do I set mfp with the certain amount of calories for weight loss
  • sflano1271
    Options

Eat foods you like, in a deficit, and workout with a progressive lifting routine until you are at or near goal and then reassess. Don't focus on muscle growth at this time, the lifting will be to mitigate muscle loss from the weight cut.

But I dont know what to eat unfortunately I need to get my diet right not eat junk etc