Diet to lose weight plus try build up muscle mass and lower body fat!!

Options

Replies

• jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying eat super clean, but there are no veggies but potatoes in that diet. Your digestive system will thank you for adding some.
  • sflano1271
    sflano1271 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    sflano1271 wrote: »
    You don't eat any fruit or veg?

Excessive use of protein powder and too low in fat.

I think this diet is for building lean

I think this diet is for hating food and being unhealthy...

Ok so what diet would you suggest me with and foods to eat I struggle with my diet at the moment?

Eat foods you like. Make sure you're eating some vegetables. Consider eating a good deal of protein (.8g per pound of body weight or lean mass).

I dont know what to be eating most foods that I like are unhealthy like fast foods etc I like eating potatoes as a carb I do steam them cause I don't really like rice but id eat white basmati rice

Stop thinking of foods as healthy and unhealthy and think about the context of your diet and get it balanced. Is it great to eat fast food two times per day 6 days per week? Maybe not. But ask yourself WHY. Food is made up of macro and micronutrients that your body needs and uses. Even fast food has them. But, eating too much fast food can stop you from eating enough vegetables, or getting enough micro nutrients, or just eating too many calories because it is calorie dense. So eat some fast food, but balance your diet with nutrient dense food as well. You like potatoes. Eat the potato.

I'm going on and on. First decide what your goal is (weight loss or muscle gain), then set MFP up with the calories to meet that goal, then eat that many calories. Adjust the propteinn upward as it gives you a low goal.

How do I set mfp with the certain amount of calories for weight loss

Dude. Take a breath and look at the app for more than 30 seconds Just tell it you want to lose .5lbs per week. Or a 1 pound week in the goal settings and it does it for you.

Hi I set my calories for 1kg to lose per week it gave me 1,500calories per day with 188g of carbs at 50%,protein 75g at 20% and fats 50g at 30%.
  • sflano1271
    Options
    jfan175 wrote: »
    I'm not saying eat super clean, but there are no veggies but potatoes in that diet. Your digestive system will thank you for adding some.

I could add some carrots in and a tin of irish processed peas☺
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Ok so what diet would you suggest me with and foods to eat I struggle with my diet at the moment?

Eat foods you like. Make sure you're eating some vegetables. Consider eating a good deal of protein (.8g per pound of body weight or lean mass).

I dont know what to be eating most foods that I like are unhealthy like fast foods etc I like eating potatoes as a carb I do steam them cause I don't really like rice but id eat white basmati rice

Stop thinking of foods as healthy and unhealthy and think about the context of your diet and get it balanced. Is it great to eat fast food two times per day 6 days per week? Maybe not. But ask yourself WHY. Food is made up of macro and micronutrients that your body needs and uses. Even fast food has them. But, eating too much fast food can stop you from eating enough vegetables, or getting enough micro nutrients, or just eating too many calories because it is calorie dense. So eat some fast food, but balance your diet with nutrient dense food as well. You like potatoes. Eat the potato.

I'm going on and on. First decide what your goal is (weight loss or muscle gain), then set MFP up with the calories to meet that goal, then eat that many calories. Adjust the propteinn upward as it gives you a low goal.

Dude. Take a breath and look at the app for more than 30 seconds Just tell it you want to lose .5lbs per week. Or a 1 pound week in the goal settings and it does it for you.

Hi I set my calories for 1kg to lose per week it gave me 1,500calories per day with 188g of carbs at 50%,protein 75g at 20% and fats 50g at 30%.

Change that to lose 0.5kg per week
  • sflano1271
    Options

Why??
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Because 1500 cals is rock bottom for men and it's going to be a tough number to stick to and burn you out really fast.
  • sflano1271
    Options
    Because 1500 cals is rock bottom for men and it's going to be a tough number to stick to and burn you out really fast.

Ok
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Why??

You want to maintain muscle and you don't have enough fat to maintain such a high deficit
  • sflano1271
    Options

Why??

You want to maintain muscle and you don't have enough fat to maintain such a high deficit

Ok I changed it I got 1840 calories
  • sflano1271
    Options

Why??

At your weight, trying to lose a pound per week creates an aggressive deficit. Aggressive calorie deficits make it harder to maintain muscle mass. So we are giving you advice to help reach your goals :)

Ok thanks very much I changed it to 0.05kg per week and now it says I need 1,840 calories per day
  • sflano1271
    Options
    OP, if you go into almost any thread here asking about food groups, or kinds of diet, or struggles "eating clean" you will see an overwhelming amount of advice from people who have lost lots of weight is that exactly what your diet is made up of has very little impact on weight loss as long as you are eating less calories than you are burning. Start small. Start with eating your "junk" but in a deficit. Then start changing small habits one at a time every few weeks. Upending your life and preferences and habits one day has next to no chance of effecting permanent change.

What do you like to eat? What is this junk you are so disgusted by all of a sudden? There are "healthy" and lower cal versions of everything you like to eat. Chill out for a second and come at it from the perspective of being kind to yourself.

I like take away foods from the chippers like chips and burgers curry chips, chips and cod portion etc
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Don't go mad, will you...
  • sflano1271
    Options

Just a small bit of each vegetable peas or carrots maby turnip aswel
  • sflano1271
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

That's a good start. Once in a while, maybe try a new veg & see if you like it OK. If you do, put it in play on the reg along with the carrots & peas. If you don't like it, drop it and try something else later. Be a bold adventurer! ;)

Fruits are nice, too. ;)

Ok thanks
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Just a small bit of each vegetable peas or carrots maby turnip aswel

A healthy diet is supposed to contain 800g of fruit and veg, so a few peas and carrots is the very least you should be aiming for....