Fatty liver

Replies

• 39andfat
    39andfat Posts: 144 Member
    I was diagnosed with a fatty liver maybe 4 tears ago. Was from poor diet doctor told me.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    edited February 2018
    Do you have a doctor that specializes in livers?
    It doesn’t seem that your doctor has told you much except to lose weight.
  • jb050794
    jb050794 Posts: 43 Member
    Have you used MFP to set your goal calories and started tracking? I'd want to lose these last 5kgs in a slow and controlled fashion. Congrats on getting the first 6kgs off and cleaning up your diet.

I just started using MFP yesterday. I've been dieting 3 weeks now. What I did was cut in between snacks. Porridge for breakfast, a light lunch and a bowl of soup for dinner. You could say I was just having 2 meals a day. And I continued my exercises.

That doesn't sound like enough calories to be sustainable

Yes, I couldn't afford to lose weight slowly and gradually. I had to be more extreme because of the reason why I had to lose it. Basically I have to get low and check if my medical problem still persists.

Your doctor told you to crash diet to lose the weight quickly?

Rapid weightloss with a fatty liver is a bad idea. I read that it can lead to scarring.
  • jb050794
    jb050794 Posts: 43 Member
    Fatty liver here too. Basically, I'm just trying to gradually lose weight by CICO. I've read lots of things online that may help. Turmeric helps the liver. Obviously, no alcohol. Exercise!! i'm 23 and overweight. My older brother is a normal weight, but has fatty liver. Must have been running in our family.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    A ketogenic diet can be used effectively to reverse NAFLD. NAFLD is a form of insulin resistance. Like PCOS or dementia, high blood glucose is not always a sign of IR. A low carb diet reduces insulin which helps with treating NAFLD; a ketogenic diet, an even lower carb diet, may not even be needed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19575599
    http://www.diabesityinpractice.co.uk/media/content/_master/4311/files/pdf/dip4-3-102-8.pdf

Even small reductions in carbs, and increases in fats and proteins, seems to help NAFLD:
    https://www.healio.com/hepatology/steatohepatitis-metabolic-liver-disease/news/online/{74b19e33-5565-42ce-b806-93fa61292657}/low-carb-diet-superior-to-low-fat-in-korean-patients-with-nafld

Exercise, weight loss, reduced stress and improved sleep has also been shown to help with insulin resistance in its many forms.

Good luck!
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Over all I'm pretty fit. I exercise regularly playing Squash, Tennis and the occasionally running but I have some fat on my liver which doctors think is causing a raised ALT. I don't drink but I eat all sorts of junk food. So I've started dieting no junks. I've already lost 6kgs, gone from 86 to 80. I want to lose 5 more. My height is 6'3. Help

i will post this in hopes that people mind their own business and don't comment negatively on my post. i am so sick of all the naysayers on this board. but besides that, i don't know if this will apply to you, but i have been diagnosed with fatty liver and my boyfriend found a study that correlated fatty liver with a choline definciency in humans. something about how people with a choline defiency all got fatty liver and once they took some choline supplements the fatty liver resolved itself. i don't know if your fatty liver is caused by this, but the study gave people on tpn's (total parenteal nutrition or something) fed by a tube with a formula basically.. two formulas- one supplemented with choline and one not. the people who didn't get choline all developed fatty liver and the people who did get the choline did not. so i bought some alpha-gpc which is supposedly the best bio-available form of choline and took it for about 4 weeks. i forget the dosage and i haven't gotten feedback as the last time i went to the doctors i asked her to check my liver enzymes to see if it worked and she never did it. supposedly people who took the correct dosage for two weeks reversed their fatty liver. i can say i had much more energy while on the alph-gpc then before and felt less sluggish and more alert in general. i can't remember the dosage i took and threw the bottle away but it was the recommended amount on the bottle directions. (600mg maybe) so, maybe worth a try.. just thought i 'd mention it to you. i don't know if it worked, but i did take a whole bottles worth and had no ill effects that i could notice.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    alicebhsia wrote: »
    Over all I'm pretty fit. I exercise regularly playing Squash, Tennis and the occasionally running but I have some fat on my liver which doctors think is causing a raised ALT. I don't drink but I eat all sorts of junk food. So I've started dieting no junks. I've already lost 6kgs, gone from 86 to 80. I want to lose 5 more. My height is 6'3. Help

i will post this in hopes that people mind their own business and don't comment negatively on my post. i am so sick of all the naysayers on this board. but besides that, i don't know if this will apply to you, but i have been diagnosed with fatty liver and my boyfriend found a study that correlated fatty liver with a choline definciency in humans. something about how people with a choline defiency all got fatty liver and once they took some choline supplements the fatty liver resolved itself. i don't know if your fatty liver is caused by this, but the study gave people on tpn's (total parenteal nutrition or something) fed by a tube with a formula basically.. two formulas- one supplemented with choline and one not. the people who didn't get choline all developed fatty liver and the people who did get the choline did not. so i bought some alpha-gpc which is supposedly the best bio-available form of choline and took it for about 4 weeks. i forget the dosage and i haven't gotten feedback as the last time i went to the doctors i asked her to check my liver enzymes to see if it worked and she never did it. supposedly people who took the correct dosage for two weeks reversed their fatty liver. i can say i had much more energy while on the alph-gpc then before and felt less sluggish and more alert in general. i can't remember the dosage i took and threw the bottle away but it was the recommended amount on the bottle directions. (600mg maybe) so, maybe worth a try.. just thought i 'd mention it to you. i don't know if it worked, but i did take a whole bottles worth and had no ill effects that i could notice.

Do you still have more energy?

Honestly, If something works, and appears to work, and isn't causing any harm, I'm not sure I'd quit. Or at least not quit until I got a positive response from my medical team.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    My mom recovered from fatty liver by reducing carbs and losing weight. She wasn't on a super low carb, just more carb conscious.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    alicebhsia wrote: »

TPN is known to be hard on the liver, I'm not convinced this translates to an individual who is eating. I would be curious to see the study.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    My mom was diagnosed with non-alcoholic fatty liver several years ago. Admittedly, she has been overweight most of my life and isn't terribly physically fit. It wasn't until she was on a long-term corticosteroid for another unrelated health issue (autoimmune disorder) that her liver enzymes started to return to normal.
  • Saifnasirpk
    Saifnasirpk Posts: 26 Member
    jb050794 wrote: »
    Fatty liver here too. Basically, I'm just trying to gradually lose weight by CICO. I've read lots of things online that may help. Turmeric helps the liver. Obviously, no alcohol. Exercise!! i'm 23 and overweight. My older brother is a normal weight, but has fatty liver. Must have been running in our family.

Hang in there buddy. We'll get over it
  • Saifnasirpk
    Saifnasirpk Posts: 26 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    A ketogenic diet can be used effectively to reverse NAFLD. NAFLD is a form of insulin resistance. Like PCOS or dementia, high blood glucose is not always a sign of IR. A low carb diet reduces insulin which helps with treating NAFLD; a ketogenic diet, an even lower carb diet, may not even be needed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19575599
    http://www.diabesityinpractice.co.uk/media/content/_master/4311/files/pdf/dip4-3-102-8.pdf

Even small reductions in carbs, and increases in fats and proteins, seems to help NAFLD:
    https://www.healio.com/hepatology/steatohepatitis-metabolic-liver-disease/news/online/{74b19e33-5565-42ce-b806-93fa61292657}/low-carb-diet-superior-to-low-fat-in-korean-patients-with-nafld

Exercise, weight loss, reduced stress and improved sleep has also been shown to help with insulin resistance in its many forms.

Good luck!

Thank you for the information
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Did they diagnose with an MRI?

No, just an ultrasound. That's how he spotted the fatty liver

Ok. My thoughts are that you are already at/near an ideal body weight for a man your size. Usually, it would be recommended to diet when the patient is obese, which you do not appear to be. Considering where you are at in terms of weight now, you're probably not going to be able to lose too much more.

An ultrasound can pick up some things, but an MRI will show much more. Usually, if they find something on the ultrasound, an MRI is often recommended as the next step.

I recommend that you request to see a hepatologist. I believe the normal range for ALT is <40. You should make sure nothing else is going on here. It may just be fatty liver, but if it's something else, early treatment can be critical.

This is the best advice so far.

On diet, I'd continue reducing in a gradual fashion (my math has you at a BMI 22, but it wouldn't hurt to lose a bit more at a more gradual approach), and eat a traditionally healthful diet -- diets for non-alcoholic fatty liver often are lower fat and lower sugar/refined carbs, and recommend the usual vegetables, legumes, whole grains. But I would get it checked out very fully, as it seems weird, it's usually connected to obesity.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited February 2018
    Do you still eat high fructose corn syrup in your food? Cutting that out may help as it is a contributing factor to fatty liver.

How so?
    *Edit- as compared to regular sugar/simple carbs, etc.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2018
    It's probably a contributing factor only because it's in foods that are typically consumed without fiber or protein more often than not (especially soda). Not because all else equal it's that different to have a cookie with HFCS vs sucrose.

I personally would cut out soda, for sure (if OP consumes it, which he very well may not), and probably all sugary drinks, probably even juice, and eat fruit instead.
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    My husband is in similar situation to OP. Doesn't drink... high ALT and has had an ultra sound scan. GP has also advised him to change his diet - very poor, take outs and junk food. He's due back at the GP next month so it will be interesting to see if change in diet has made any positive impact.

Interesting info re the choline study, not something that is checked for (deficiency in choline)