How much are you willing to spend on temporary pants?

GOT_Obsessed
GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
Hi. I am still losing weight but I have made some great progress so far. None of my work pants or jeans fit! I tried to get some pants at second hand stores with no luck. I am pretty bottom heavy (pear shaped) and I am a crappy height (5 foot 3 1/2" - petites are often short and regular length often too long ). So pants shopping has always sucked.

So I ended up buying a couple pair of new pants to get by for a few months since I cant wear leggings every single day. They were half price. It killed me to spend money on them knowing I will be out of them hopefully in no time, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. I will donate them as my friends are not my size.

I think I might be cheap. Lol. How much are you willing to spend on new temporary pants?

Replies

• Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Costco.....
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Costco.....

Aw, we don't have a Costco here. But I wish we did.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,431 Member
    Costco.....

$20 for a pair of jeans - I buy 2 pair ......... I'm on my 3 different size.... hopefully another 2 sizes to go
  • GOT_Obsessed
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I spend $50 on two pairs of work pants in the only brand and style I've found that reliably fit me - one grey, one khaki. Those get repeated often, with a few dresses and skirts mixed in. I'm 5'4 and understand the 'not petite but not regular' problem well! Thrift shopping is an exercise in frustration that I just don't have the patience for.

ETA I usually have one pair of jeans that fits at a time, and live in yoga pants at home. Those are the same ones I was wearing 25 pounds ago (albeit much looser now).

Lol. I think we might be lost long cousins or something. Maybe twins separated at birth?

Your descripion of the thrift shopping experience was spot on for me.

My half price pants were each $25.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Treece68 wrote: »
    $13

Excellent! Great shopping!
  • GOT_Obsessed
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    Costco.....

$20 for a pair of jeans - I buy 2 pair ......... I'm on my 3 different size.... hopefully another 2 sizes to go

Good job!
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,232 Member
    $15 for jeans at TJ Maxx. I'm also pear-shaped and hard to fit. Have to wear a belt with the cheap ones versus spending more for temporary ones in "curvy cut" at Talbots that are my shape. Not a bad trade-off.

Someone once gave advice that if you live in a small town and know you'll need to change sizes several times while losing to check out consignment stores in the closest large city for more/better options.

• kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    I've gotten some great clothes cheap at thrift stores. Some of them even have a "designer boutique." Check them out!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    i'd be naked if it wasnt for goodwill. I'm 4'11" with a "generous" hind end so it takes some looking but when i find the perfect pair of levi's for 8 bucks it makes my day.
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    If you're in western Canada like me, do you have access to a local Varagesale community? I use that to sell my old clothes and buy new for super cheap as I don't intend to keep them for long! It has saved me a fortune.
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    Goodwill!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
  • GOT_Obsessed
    ktekc wrote: »
    i'd be naked if it wasnt for goodwill. I'm 4'11" with a "generous" hind end so it takes some looking but when i find the perfect pair of levi's for 8 bucks it makes my day.

I am in Manitoba. Never heard of that but I am pretty sure Kijiji would be a thought. We also have a local buy and sell site too. Thanks for mentioning. it. I could put up an add "in search of" type thing. Thanks.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    You have the same problem that I do- kind of short, short legs and like you said- the petites are too short and the regulars I often have to hem. Goodwill was my best friend while losing weight, especially on half price Saturdays. You just have to be willing to shop around there and find some things that fit, since often they are many years old and the sizing has changed- what you may find in a store that is now a size 8 is a size 12-14 at a Goodwill, so don't get discouraged - just vanity sizing.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,123 Member
    When I was losing 2-3 sizes over a summer a few years ago, I went to Walmart and bought a couple pair of their cheap $10 jeans. Worked fine for me.
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Op I know the struggle. Im pear shaped 5'2". Very bottom heavy. While I have no problems with tops since I'm XS/S bottoms have been my issue. I hesitate to buy too many pants because if I lose 2 inches from my hips l'll drop to a new size. I work in an office setting. I bought some stretchy work pants from New York and Company. I did get them during Christmas special for $15 each in medium. They are getting slightly bigger especially around my waist but still look professional. I say go with stretchy work pants you can were them for a while. Same thing with jeans. I just got some bootcut stretchy jeans pants from Walmart I think. That should last me long enough until I reach my goal size then I can spend more on high end pants.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!