Anyone else close to a power lifting meet?

Options

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Ugh. I don't want to get old. I'm not getting married so I won't have a family. I have like two friends. And I won't be able to lift? What's the point?

p.s. I am being dramatic today.

Just take tren haha. It's the fountain of youth.

Have you seen stefi Cohen? She's got a little extra supplementation but hell she's stronger than 20 year old juice monkeys in my gym

I was really hoping she is taking something.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I don't want to get old. I'm not getting married so I won't have a family. I have like two friends. And I won't be able to lift? What's the point?

Have you seen stefi Cohen? She's got a little extra supplementation but hell she's stronger than 20 year old juice monkeys in my gym

She is. I don't have the blood test or anything, but people who have done collabs with her have stated regardless of being enhanced she is still insanely strong. Plus she lifts in an untested federation so that's a good indicator haha.

I can't believe how many people look at her body and cringe. Shes totally drool worthy to be frank haha
  • bbell1985
    Options

She is. I don't have the blood test or anything, but people who have done collabs with her have stated regardless of being enhanced she is still insanely strong. Plus she lifts in an untested federation so that's a good indicator haha.

I can't believe how many people look at her body and cringe. Shes totally drool worthy to be frank haha

Yeah. No doubt she'd be strong regardless but it's like...freakish.

I think she is beautiful. It's not a look I'd like for myself UNLESS I was that strong as well lol. To be that lean and that strong? Nah. Not natural.
  • jessef593
    Options

Yeah. No doubt she'd be strong regardless but it's like...freakish.

I think she is beautiful. It's not a look I'd like for myself UNLESS I was that strong as well lol. To be that lean and that strong? Nah. Not natural.

I wish I could look like her haha.

Yeah pleasantly plump and strong or lean and meak. Oh woe is me.

Her capabilities are something to strive for though. Natural or not. If she can do that at 123lbs. Then the sky is the limit.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    For everyone. How maintainable do you think powerlifting is into the later years of life?

I'd love to lift till I die, I'm just not sure how realistic of a goal that is.

I turned 59 in January and didn't get started until I was 57 and will continue lifting as long as I am physically able. I have seen men and women in their 70's and a few in their 80's still lifting! A 75 year old lady deadlifted 275 lbs. BELTLESS at a powerlifting meet!

He'll ya that's awesome to hear. I think I saw that actually. She can out deadlift every one of friends. Even the ones that workout.

At least I know I can keep it going for another 51 years at the very least haha. My biggest concern is avoiding injury. Especially into the later years.

lol. Yes I worry about injuries too
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I was planning to compete this march. Had a few people from my gym invite me.

Unfortunately work got in the way and I've been having to travel to a location where the nearest thing that even looks like a gym is over 90km away through a mountain pass. Not the safest thing to do daily after working.

Aside from that I'm essentially getting a full deloads week ever second week. My lifts have been like butter. Old injury healing quite well. I'm going to look into something for around may-june. Wouldn't mind dropping 5lbs before then just yo give my wilks a lil boost.I

What are your openers going to be?

You deload every two weeks? May/June sounds good. I'm not dropping weight because I've been there and done that with water cuts and no time to lose.

I think I'll open with 220 squat, 265 dead...don't really want to talk about bench

I have a poverty bench :-(

Mine literally sickens me. Like...how can I have worked so hard for no progress?

Most women don't bench a significant amount of weight unless they have been training for years

• jessef593
    Options
    I was planning to compete this march. Had a few people from my gym invite me.

Unfortunately work got in the way and I've been having to travel to a location where the nearest thing that even looks like a gym is over 90km away through a mountain pass. Not the safest thing to do daily after working.

Aside from that I'm essentially getting a full deloads week ever second week. My lifts have been like butter. Old injury healing quite well. I'm going to look into something for around may-june. Wouldn't mind dropping 5lbs before then just yo give my wilks a lil boost.I

What are your openers going to be?

You deload every two weeks? May/June sounds good. I'm not dropping weight because I've been there and done that with water cuts and no time to lose.

I think I'll open with 220 squat, 265 dead...don't really want to talk about bench

I have a poverty bench :-(

Mine literally sickens me. Like...how can I have worked so hard for no progress?

Most women don't bench a significant amount of weight unless they have been training for years

I can 100% relate. But benching 4x a week has been my savior. Everything's just clicking. I can competition bench more than I can touch and go now.

Bench sucks..
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I did my 4th on Feb 3rd. For squats and bench, I ran a 5 week cycle, "deload" week of testing maxes and then a week off.

I felt really good going into the meet. This was the first time I basically deloaded for 2 weeks before the meet.

I'm doing 1 more full meet in August, and then re-evaluate. I'll be 39.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I benched 140 at 135bw. Volume, volume, volume.
  • bbell1985
    Options

I have a lot of volume. Still, nothing.
  • RMaxwell90
    RMaxwell90 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Signed up for my first meet at the end of April! It's at the gym I train at so I couldn't find a good reason not to
  • RMaxwell90
    RMaxwell90 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Are you looking for input? I can toss some ideas your way, but without more context I'd just be guessing.
  • jessef593
    Options

Block presses have been my savior. Banded bench as well. Sheiko knows his *kitten* when it comes to building bench.
  • jessef593
    Options
    PS my bench is nothing to write home about, but for the first time in a year its actually moving again
  • bbell1985
    Options
    RMaxwell90 wrote: »

Are you looking for input? I can toss some ideas your way, but without more context I'd just be guessing.

Not right now, thanks.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    8 weeks out
  • jessef593
    Options
    8 weeks out

Good luck!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    8 weeks out

Good luck!

Thanks!
  • jessef593
    Options
    Sorry to high jack your thread bbell. But here's something I've been curious about. How much did you find your nerves affected your performance in your first meet and the following ones? I tend to rock fairly high social anxiety that can definitely impede my performance in the gym
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Just had nationals last week. Next meet is 11 weeks out.

Bench is life. I’m not allowed to go past 75% for squats, and I don’t have it in me to just take a token squat to do three lift.