Anyone else close to a power lifting meet?

Options

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Just had nationals last week. Next meet is 11 weeks out.

Bench is life. I’m not allowed to go past 75% for squats, and I don’t have it in me to just take a token squat to do three lift.

I'm still a bit of a novice to the meet side of power lifting. What do you mean by token squat?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Sorry to high jack your thread bbell. But here's something I've been curious about. How much did you find your nerves affected your performance in your first meet and the following ones? I tend to rock fairly high social anxiety that can definitely impede my performance in the gym

Not hi-jacking. This isn't "my thread" lol. We can chat about whatever.

My first meet, I was lifting light as *kitten*. My coach at the time (sidesteel) made like awesome attempt selections for me, AND I had a handler. I felt fine. Also, the meet was set up in a way that I could be down away from the platform before it was my turn.

My second meet, I was less in touch with sidesteel and I went by myself. Now I'm a textbook introvert. I love doing *kitten* BY MYSELF ALL THE TIME. Except a powerlifting meet. I was anxious and didn't have fun and my performance was balls. 6/10. I cried.

This time I got my handler again. I do get very very nervous but having him there to talk me through warm ups and powder my thighs will help. Also, my attempt selections are going to be nothing. I'm not competitive, I'm coming back from injury, and I almost don't feel like PRing or trying to on the platform.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Just had nationals last week. Next meet is 11 weeks out.

Bench is life. I’m not allowed to go past 75% for squats, and I don’t have it in me to just take a token squat to do three lift.

I'm still a bit of a novice to the meet side of power lifting. What do you mean by token squat?

It’s a light, easy squat to secure a total. What I’m allowed to squat now used to be warm up weights
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    1st meet: not nervous, just there to compete and didn't have expectations to meet

2nd: nerves got the better of me; bombed on bench (didn't make a single good bench)

3rd: not nervous at all, b/c anything would be better than the previous meet

4th meet: nervous, but managed 3 good squats, 2 good benchs, 2 good dls

I see a pattern...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Two weeks out. I have had herniated discs for decades, but like most people no problems lifting. Sorry you lost time.

Only problems I'm experiencing has to do with the joint disease. Like being able to close my hands to deadlift, swollen joints hip/knee joints so a balancing act to hit depth without swelling more.

Things look I should break at least two state records, maybe three.

Hope things move well for you and everybody :).
  • jessef593
    Options
    I'm 100% an introvert at large gatherings that are unfamiliar to me so when it happens it'll be interesting for sure.

This is great information guys thanks.

So for handlers, how does one go about finding one? I've watched a few Bart qwan bbell brigade meets and have taken a huge interest in how the handlers determine lifts and set you up for success.

They'd have to be someone who's witnessed or trained along side you id assume.

Damn Chief. I've watched a few of your lifts in the PR thread and I would've never thought you had that many things to deal with, commendable that you've worked around it to a degree. For that state record, what weight class are you going in as? That's hella impressive!!
  • bbell1985
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm 100% an introvert at large gatherings that are unfamiliar to me so when it happens it'll be interesting for sure.

So for handlers, how does one go about finding one? I've watched a few Bart qwan bbell brigade meets and have taken a huge interest in how the handlers determine lifts and set you up for success.

Damn Chief. I've watched a few of your lifts in the PR thread and I would've never thought you had that many things to deal with, commendable that you've worked around it to a degree. For that state record, what weight class are you going in as? That's hella impressive!!

I just chose a friend who powerlifts. I don't give him much say over my attempts because he's not my coach, but I'll let him tell me how fast or slow a lift went and put the attempt in. Mostly I want him to pick my *kitten* up at 6:00 am, hold my headphones, let me know when I'm in the hole and on deck, and powder my thighs ...and tell me I'm awesome.
  • jessef593
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

I just chose a friend who powerlifts. I don't give him much say over my attempts because he's not my coach, but I'll let him tell me how fast or slow a lift went and put the attempt in. Mostly I want him to pick my *kitten* up at 6:00 am, hold my headphones, let me know when I'm in the hole and on deck, and powder my thighs ...and tell me I'm awesome.

I've got the perfect friend for that haha. So your handle can stand to the side and shout "up" once you've reached depth?

I see why all of those things can improve your attempts.

So why the powder on the thighs?
  • bbell1985
    Options

I've got the perfect friend for that haha. So your handle can stand to the side and shout "up" once you've reached depth?

Well it needs to be someone who understands the rules of powerlifting.

Powder so the bar doesn't stick to your thighs on the way up.
  • jessef593
    Options

Oya no he'd be fine with that.

I thought so!

I feel like I've got a better grasp of the inner workings now.

Aside from Chief. Has anyone had the privilege of placing in any of their meets?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options

I thought so!

Aside from Chief. Has anyone had the privilege of placing in any of their meets?

A couple times. The notable ones are first in nationals this year, silver at the two North American benchpress championships that I’ve attended and a silver at the 2016 world classic bench press championships.
  • jessef593
    Options

I thought so!

A couple times. The notable ones are first in nationals this year, silver at the two North American benchpress championships that I’ve attended and a silver at the 2016 world classic bench press championships.

Damn are you planning on sharing some of those cupcakes?

Do you need to be invited to go to nationals?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Options

I thought so!

Cupcakes are all mine!

First time nationals require provincials, regionals and of course the qualifying total. Different provinces have different additional requirements. Once you’ve done nationals once, you just need to satisfy your province’s requirements plus maintain the total.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options

Yep a few. Unlike Dana nothing National, or like Lanny with his State records.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I hold all the state records for 132 and 148 (open and Submaster) in my federation. I won best female lifter once. There isn't a huge amount of competition in my weight class/age (it's a smaller federation too). Since I won my weight class at a sanctioned meet, I am eligible to go nationals. I'm not really interested in competing in nationals (I'd have to travel out of state).

You have to check the rules: my trainer could stand behind me during squat, but not touch or speak. However, another trainer stood on the side and screamed "up" during my squats. Totally legal.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I was getting nervous today because my back was bothering me. Hoping it wasn't my stupid disk. I did a lot of myofascial release with the psoas, adductors, hips...seems to be better. Ugh.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Also I don't have competitive numbers at all. I probably will stop after this meet because it doesn't make any sense.
  • jessef593
    Options

I thought so!

Cupcakes are all mine!

First time nationals require provincials, regionals and of course the qualifying total. Different provinces have different additional requirements. Once you’ve done nationals once, you just need to satisfy your province’s requirements plus maintain the total.

Oh hey another Canadian in our midst.

I'm not sure if I'd ever be able to make it past provincial. I'm in a new town every month because of work. So my lifting schedule isn't always the easiest to regulate.

That's insanely impressive though. For everyone here. I'm 5lbs away from the 1000lb club at 183. So a lot of work to go still.
  • jessef593
    Options
    Also I don't have competitive numbers at all. I probably will stop after this meet because it doesn't make any sense.

That's too bad. I would've thought the main allure for competing would be to best yourself and just for the fun of it.

Another question. I cannot find the answer anywhere.

What's the difference between all the meet descriptors:

Open
    Masters
    Submasters

And so forth. Thanks again guys and gals
  • bbell1985
    Options

That's too bad. I would've thought the main allure for competing would be to best yourself and just for the fun of it.

Another question. I cannot find the answer anywhere.

What's the difference between all the meet descriptors:

Open
    Masters
    Submasters

And so forth. Thanks again guys and gals

Yeah. But I can have fun and get riled up in the gym too. Thinking about leaving the sport to the elite.