How to look less approachable at the gym?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Sp1tfire wrote: »
    I wear headphones, don't wear makeup, don't smile, and don't make eye contact. If someone talks to me I give curt but not rude answers as needed and keep doing what I was doing.

This plus baggy clothes.

If all that fails then one of these too:
    kitaemma wrote: »
    When I don’t feel like being bothered I have 2 go to shirts, one that says “do not disturb” and one that just says “nope”. They get the job done haha
    goatg wrote: »
    mkk0cdaxcaqb.jpeg
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    - Do not make eye contact with anybody.
    - When someone approach you, hesitate for 2 seconds before taking headphones off
    - Practice your game face. When people see it, they get it.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    lmao wow.. opposite for me. People stay AWAY from me everywhere I go. I'm told I have resting *kitten* face and come off as intimidating to people. I can be working out with 3 open benches around me and then when i move, everyone goes over there. Maybe it's the vibe we put out?? I have never ever had anyone approach me at the gym. People look everywhere else but at me when I'm out and about too.

I have also been told I having “resting *kitten* face” and utilise it as much as possible at the gym (I’m introverted and hate chatting at the gym) but unfortunately it doesn’t seem to help.
    People (mainly men) constantly try and start conversations no matter how pissed off I look
  • yvonne_beavis
    yvonne_beavis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have reached an aged when people think I am a suitably safe person to talk to at bus stops. Depressing really. Still, at least at the gym you can say, excuse me I must get through my routine as I only have x time. I'm trapped at the bus stop till the bus comes.
  • Merrysailor5
    Merrysailor5 Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I just grunt and growl at everyone....
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    .ooopsies.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    jc1961AA wrote: »
    Eat raw garlic and burb in their face when they talk to you :D:D:D

or onions...
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Headphones
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Look like me? I don't know what is exactly, but I almost never get approached in public.
  • Sam29a
    Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    ninpiggy wrote: »
    Just_Jon wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot of work to accommodate other people. Skip the headphones and buying new shirts and forcing yourself to look mean and grumpy. When someone starts talking, just interrupt and say firmly "Please don't talk to me." It's short and to the point, and they will definitely get the hint.

Agreed. I honestly don’t know why it’s so difficult to say, “Excuse me but I’m working out on limited time and I’d rather listen to my music.” It’s not rude and actually it’s a basic assertive communication skill. Perhaps if this is an area in your life you struggle with, the gym would be a nice place for you to practice this skill. Good luck!

Yes, perhaps that's true. I guess I just don't like to make others uncomfortable, if someone wants to chat I would find it rude to say, sorry I'm busy. I don't spend much time with other people usually, I work and study from home. Being assertive is definitely not in my nature.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Have you tried wearing something that would potentially cause people to avoid you? I'm not talking about silly novelty t-shirts either.
    I think you need a better outfit to insure that you are left alone!
    I recommend wearing a mixture of different Halloween costumes. Example- Batman ears, Superman cape, clown shoes, belly dancer crop top, 50s style skirt with Petty coat underneath.
    Just go into your Halloween box and throw a gym uniform together.

If that doesn't work, just say these magical words and I can personally guarantee that nobody will talk to you again. Plus you don't need to be rude or assertive when saying it-

"Hello I'm on a keto diet . I think keto cures all these ailments magically and want to share my low carb tips with you! I also sell multi level marketing products to help me reach my goals, could I have your phone number to reach you about these multi level marketing items. Have you tried these shakes and pills and wraps? "

I guarantee nobody will ever talk to you again.

276% going to do this.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Have you tried wearing something that would potentially cause people to avoid you? I'm not talking about silly novelty t-shirts either.
    I think you need a better outfit to insure that you are left alone!
    I recommend wearing a mixture of different Halloween costumes. Example- Batman ears, Superman cape, clown shoes, belly dancer crop top, 50s style skirt with Petty coat underneath.
    Just go into your Halloween box and throw a gym uniform together.

If that doesn't work, just say these magical words and I can personally guarantee that nobody will talk to you again. Plus you don't need to be rude or assertive when saying it-

"Hello I'm on a keto diet . I think keto cures all these ailments magically and want to share my low carb tips with you! I also sell multi level marketing products to help me reach my goals, could I have your phone number to reach you about these multi level marketing items. Have you tried these shakes and pills and wraps? "

I guarantee nobody will ever talk to you again.

276% going to do this.

Please post pics in this thread . (Just so I can prove to others that my methods do indeed work)
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Jus show them the middle finger
  • mabelgrex
    mabelgrex Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    none of this is happening where I work out. OP wearing some headphones even if not actually listening. Grow a pair and say "gotta be somewhere in an hour"
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    dark glasses and baseball hat. people repellent
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Work on your RBF! Lol
    No really tho I don’t go to a gym but this works everywhere else I go so... work that mean mug