girls: yasmin pill help

Options
I'm to start the Yasmin pill when my next period is due. Now I've been on it before a couple of years back and it made me feel sick and couldn't eat. I read that it can cause weight gain and water retention. I don't want this! Has anyone had experiences with this pill? Plus its the only one that doesn't give me spots so I'm not trying others again! Thanks

Replies

• Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You try Microlite?
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I loved yasmin, Many BC pills are different types of hormones Yasmine (and the shorter period YAZ) are the ones that didnt make me moody, didnt cause gain, and conpletly controlled my irrregular periods
  • Sgriffin2382
    Sgriffin2382 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I was on Yaz for a few years and liked it. My hormones just went crazy a few months ago and I had to switch to Apri, which is a higher dosage. Nothing against Yaz, my body just changed and needed something different. But I never noticed any water retention or weight gain. I mean, I had weight gain, but it wasn't because of the pill ;-)
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Yaz is what made my sister get blood clots in her lungs and have a miscarriage. Just be careful what you do choose.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I loved YAZ but had to get off at my dr.'s recommendation due to the fact that it was damaging young women's livers'. ;-(
  • HannahPendrigh
    HannahPendrigh Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    most forms of contraception are said to make you gain weight.. and every one affects people in different ways, you just need to try it out and see if it works for you
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    I loved yasmin, Many BC pills are different types of hormones Yasmine (and the shorter period YAZ) are the ones that didnt make me moody, didnt cause gain, and conpletly controlled my irrregular periods

Same for me...no moodiness, no spots and well i don't think i've really gained weight though i've only been weighing myself for a month so not sure the different from when i started on it. I love it though :o)
  • krystlpierce
    krystlpierce Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Did you every try taking it with meals or before bed? Sometimes that helps with the sick feeling :)
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    hey hey. I was on yaz for a long time until all the warnings came out about MORE increased risk of clots, heart attack etc (moreso than other pills). So my doc switched me to loestrin 24 just to be safe. i've found it works great. granted i don't have PMDD, bad acne or the other things yaz was supposed to treat, just week long death periods. loestrin 24 has been a good switch.
  • mandahq
    mandahq Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I tried yasim but got extremely sick and some sorta rash all over. So I had to stop it. Now im on seasonal and love it. I get extremly bad cramps where im useless for days. all I can do is lay down and try to sleep to avoid pain. any moment hurts. so only getting my period once every three months is a blessing for me.
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Options
    You try Microlite?

No whats that one?
  • haylz24
    Options
    Yaz is what made my sister get blood clots in her lungs and have a miscarriage. Just be careful what you do choose.

Oh :/ sorry to hear that. There's a risk with everything though. Ugh its so hard!
  • Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options
    I was on Yasmin for a few years. I gained a lot of weight, but I suspect that was due to eating junk and not exercising, since I also gained weight before and after the Yasmin. I think it messed with my potassium (a known side effect), because I felt strange while taking it. I prefer Loestrin 24, but everyone is different.
  • haylz24
    Options
    hey hey. I was on yaz for a long time until all the warnings came out about MORE increased risk of clots, heart attack etc (moreso than other pills). So my doc switched me to loestrin 24 just to be safe. i've found it works great. granted i don't have PMDD, bad acne or the other things yaz was supposed to treat, just week long death periods. loestrin 24 has been a good switch.

I'm in the UK so not sure If some of these pills are available. I'll make a note of them and if I get problems I'll see if I can switch. Amazing what an innocent looking pill can do
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking Yasmin when I saw those commercials about health problems. However, I was on it for years and had no problems.
  • haylz24
    Options
    Did you every try taking it with meals or before bed? Sometimes that helps with the sick feeling :)

At night! Then I felt crap during the night and felt sick at even the thought of food.
  • eruczyn1
    eruczyn1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. The hormone combination in Yaz might be too much for your body. There are so many options out there, there is probably something that they can recommend for you.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I am on Yasmin... have been for ages. I talked to my doctor about it after seeing the ads and news clips on increased risks. The studies done that have produced the results concluding increased risks have been seriously flawed. Unbiased research done through the association of obstetrics and gynocologists (I think this is what their governing body is called) proved there is in fact no increased risk through several studies. I will try to find links to articles and post them.
  • PrincessSparkle5253
    Options
    I've been on it for years and haven't had any problems. In fact, my doctor said i can only have my period 4x a year if i want, by just skipping the white placebo pills!
  • reckjb
    reckjb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was on Yaz for years. It did not cause any issues with my weight, but it did cause a heart arrhythmia that took me to the ER. There is a huge class action lawsuit going on right now against that pill.