How to look less approachable at the gym?

Options

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. My gym is quite big and full of people but noone talks to anybody unless they are friends. Where are you from? UK here.
  • kschildroth
    kschildroth Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I need to work on my RBF because apparently I give off a very approachable vibe while having headphones in and doing burpees. I had three people in 20 minutes come up and talk during them.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I wear silly looking biker clothes to spin class. I have a very very short haircut. People are either embarrassed or afraid of me.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have this issue in the gym a lot too, I try never to look at people because I have a terrible habit that when I get nervous/uncomfortable I smile. Not a great way to deter people. Plus earbuds really hurt my ears so instead I just try really hard to pretend I cant hear/don't notice someone trying to get my attention. I also wear an xl shirt and a big ugly sweatband while practicing my best attempt at RBF. I'm not particularly skilled at it still, so when I see it's particularly busy I stare at the ground as I walk by people and hope they think I'm just a weirdo and leave me alone. When all else fails "I'm so sorry, I'm running super late this morning, I really have to focus if I'm going to get through my workout in time"
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    iWishMyNameWasRebel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I never take my earbuds out (and have music cranked). I don't make eye contact, don't look happy, don't look interested in anything other than people not using equipment I need as their doorstop. But, I have people literally wave me down until I put down whatever heavy thing it is I'm holding, and pop out an earbud. Then they tell me either 1) I'm doing a move wrong (I'm not), or 2) Tell me I'm "doing great and will lose weight in no time!"

That's fine. They piss me off so much by intentionally interrupting me that after I smile politely or scowl (as the need may be), and shove my earbud back in, I work out even harder to burn off my annoyance. LOL!!!
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    RBF, ear buds, thousand yard gaze, avoiding eye contact has not worked for me. I am seriously thinking of getting a shirt of a few *kitten* that read,
    Married AF
    Married EST 2000
    Nope
    Shut up and lift
    Nah

My power hour is at 5 am. It is the only time that is my own I can have to myself all day. I spend a great deal of that hour ignoring guys who can't catch a clue.

As for what to say, some of these suggestions are just plain rude. they seem practical, like hey I'm trying to focus, could you not? I'm short on time, could you leave me alone? IDK I guess I've been trained to be nice. Most of all I wish people men and women would not approach me at all. I don't want to talk.
  • nrtauthor
    nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Headphones. Put them in. Ignore anyone who attempts to talk. Don't make eye contact. If you must just pretend you don't hear them because you're focusing.

I was the sort who was chatty at gym but that's because I workout better if I'm chatting. I'm just a chatter. But if someone had their headphones in I wouldn't attempt to engage. Or if I did say something and someone would just smile, nod and not continue conversation I would take hint and not continue conversation...

BUT I did meet and make a few friends during my gym days and I'm glad for it. :) They were inspiring and helpful.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    don't wash? :smiley:
  • YogiJear
    YogiJear Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Put on your best (worst?) resting *kitten* face and pretend you didn't hear them greet you when you headphones are in, worked for years for me!
  • nrtauthor
    nrtauthor Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    YogiJear wrote: »
    Put on your best (worst?) resting *kitten* face and pretend you didn't hear them greet you when you headphones are in, worked for years for me!

Resting kitten face. LOL

I love this forum.
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Move to London - England. I’ve been going to the same gym for 8 years. I don’t wear headphones I smile a lot and nope! Never ever anyone has spoken to me. I do talk to a 3 people in the yoga class. That’s it.
  • davidylin04
    davidylin04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been told that some have found a hoodie that's up to be fairly effective.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    Have you tried wearing something that would potentially cause people to avoid you? I'm not talking about silly novelty t-shirts either.
    I think you need a better outfit to insure that you are left alone!
    I recommend wearing a mixture of different Halloween costumes. Example- Batman ears, Superman cape, clown shoes, belly dancer crop top, 50s style skirt with Petty coat underneath.
    Just go into your Halloween box and throw a gym uniform together.

If that doesn't work, just say these magical words and I can personally guarantee that nobody will talk to you again. Plus you don't need to be rude or assertive when saying it-

"Hello I'm on a keto diet . I think keto cures all these ailments magically and want to share my low carb tips with you! I also sell multi level marketing products to help me reach my goals, could I have your phone number to reach you about these multi level marketing items. Have you tried these shakes and pills and wraps? "

I guarantee nobody will ever talk to you again.

276% going to do this.

Please post pics in this thread . (Just so I can prove to others that my methods do indeed work)

Well, I was going to, but I realized that nobody talks to me anyway, so it didn't seem necessary. If humans ever start pestering me in public, I'll have this plan in my back pocket, though.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I found (when I did go to a gym) that the time of day I went really impacted what you are talking about. In the early mornings, it was always all business in there. Everyone trying to squeeze in a workout on the way to work. But by 10:00am, all the folks that had nowhere to go and were in no hurry would be there just lounging around, slowly working out (maybe) and talking a lot. Evenings/nights were kinda both: usually packed, some people there to be serious and others there just screwing around.

Maybe mix up your time of day to find others more focused as you are?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Grunt, and sweat profusely no matter what you're doing.

The only time this hasn't worked is when a handful of people have asked if I'm a powerlifter - LOL.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    I found (when I did go to a gym) that the time of day I went really impacted what you are talking about. In the early mornings, it was always all business in there. Everyone trying to squeeze in a workout on the way to work. But by 10:00am, all the folks that had nowhere to go and were in no hurry would be there just lounging around, slowly working out (maybe) and talking a lot. Evenings/nights were kinda both: usually packed, some people there to be serious and others there just screwing around.

Agree with this. 5 a.m. crowd is completely different than the 5 p.m. crowd at my gym. A.M. peeps are all about getting in and getting in done. P.M. are more social.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Agree with this. 5 a.m. crowd is completely different than the 5 p.m. crowd at my gym. A.M. peeps are all about getting in and getting in done. P.M. are more social.

At my gym the 5 am crowd is very different. They get chased out as the gym doesn't open until 5:30.........
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

At my gym the 5 am crowd is very different. They get chased out as the gym doesn't open until 5:30.........

24 hour gym, baby! ;)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

24 hour gym, baby! ;)

Yeah, I go to the Y so I can swim. Otherwise I'd hit up a 24 hour place. But even so, at 5:30 this morning there were more than 20 people waiting to get in. But they get right at it so the socializing is pretty minimal. Just grunts in the hallway. 'Sup!