How to ACTUALLY boil an egg that peels

Replies

• Poppysit
    Poppysit Posts: 1 Member
    I find that buying any eggs from the store peel just wonderful. Any and all eggs I buy from the farm never peel great. I boil room temperature water, eggs straight from refrigerator. Start with room temp, add eggs, once boiling, time for 13 -14 minutes, directly to cold water. Refrigerate!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Mine peel well. i don't overthink it. Boil 12-14 minutes, run under cool water.
  • Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    Crosbinium wrote: »
    I use my instant pot. Bring to pressure for 4 mins. Let sit for 6 before doing a quick release. Easy to peel eggs - even if the eggs are fresh!

How much water? Just enough to cover?
  • michellemundi
    michellemundi Posts: 1,224 Member
    I boil an egg once its ready, run it under cold water, use a tea spoon facing it as the shape of the egg and gently slide the spoon around, the shell just comes off
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    edited March 2018
    Kelkat405 wrote: »
    I use my instant pot. Bring to pressure for 4 mins. Let sit for 6 before doing a quick release. Easy to peel eggs - even if the eggs are fresh!

I use this method too, just 1 cup of water. I actually put mine on a rack so they are not in the water at all, just "steamed". They peel so much easier.

ETA: I also drop it in an ice bath for 5-10 minutes after, I don't know if it helps with peeling or not but it does keep the yolks from turning green.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    I second all the responders who say freshness deters easy peeling. If I am making a lot of devilled eggs for a party, I will buy the eggs a week in advance before boiling.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    whosshe wrote: »
    Book idea.

100 different ways to peel eggs perfectly followed by pictures of people failing to peel eggs perfectly using all the different methods

What is this sorcery

This reminded me of some pretty amusing videos I stumbled upon while looking for a recipe. Epicurious posts videos on YouTube of 50 "inexperienced chefs" trying to do a bunch of different culinary tasks like:

Making garlic paste
    Sharpening knives
    Coring and slicing an apple for pie
    Separating egg yolk from egg white

Surprisingly, a lot of people got the egg one correct. They end each segment with a real chef showing you his method. Personally, I use the back and forth shell method for separating as I don't like slimy egg all over my hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li94gCM6zIs

There are quite a few more but that was enough time in my life that I'll never get back. Fun to watch if you have time.

• Kelkat405
    Kelkat405 Posts: 166 Member
    saragd012 wrote: »
    Kelkat405 wrote: »

I use this method too, just 1 cup of water. I actually put mine on a rack so they are not in the water at all, just "steamed". They peel so much easier.

ETA: I also drop it in an ice bath for 5-10 minutes after, I don't know if it helps with peeling or not but it does keep the yolks from turning green.

Thank you so much. I’m definitely going to try it! :)
  • Raazirehman
    Raazirehman Posts: 8 Member
    I peel eggs every day and they are perfect and now that i think about it, there is no effert at all. I just keep the eggs in a sauce pan full of water to boil for about 20-25 mins. Then, i drain the water and fill the sauce pan with cold water while eggs are still inside. I pick one egg at a time (of course) wash it off with cold water so that it cools off and its a bit eay to hold, crack the egg on the rim and put it back in the sauce pan (which still has water). Repeat for all the eggs, and then start peeling off the eggs starting from the first one which you cracked.

Good luck
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    urloved33 wrote: »
    egg in pot of water. cover. bring to rolling boil. turn on low. let sit in that for 11 minutes. perfect hard boiled eggs/

Oh!! I never boil mine in a covered pot or pan.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Stew501 wrote: »
    Add white vinegar to boiling water; peels perfect every time; and helps hide the smell of boiling eggs

Oh, yeah! This is what my mother told me about 55 years ago, and I forgot! Thanks for the reminder.

I also want to try steaming them in a steamer basket. Great suggestions, people!

• RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    I steam in a steamer basket & they peel perfectly every time.
  • rachelannette
    rachelannette Posts: 23 Member
    edited March 2018
    Use Eggland brand. I find that they will peel the easiest. I boil them for about 15- 20 min, then put them in a cold water and ice bath and peel with running water and be sure to grab the whitish membrane found just under the outer shell and as you peel it away, the outer shell comes off with it. It takes patience getting started

• Secretnotes
    Secretnotes Posts: 46 Member
    I have chickens, so in my experience, no amount of vinegar, cold water, etc will ever make boiled fresh eggs easy to peel. It's a crap-shoot.

I use eggs that are at least four weeks old, cook them 15 minutes in my rice cooker using the basket with a couple cups of water in the lower chamber, and they are perfect every time.
  • TonyB0588
    Use Eggland brand. I find that they will peel the easiest. I boil them for about 15- 20 min, then put them in a cold water and ice bath and peel with running water and be sure to grab the whitish membrane found just under the outer shell and as you peel it away, the outer shell comes off with it. It takes patience getting started

Interesting. Why do you think the brand makes a difference??
  • TonyB0588
    I peel eggs every day and they are perfect and now that i think about it, there is no effert at all. I just keep the eggs in a sauce pan full of water to boil for about 20-25 mins. Then, i drain the water and fill the sauce pan with cold water while eggs are still inside. I pick one egg at a time (of course) wash it off with cold water so that it cools off and its a bit eay to hold, crack the egg on the rim and put it back in the sauce pan (which still has water). Repeat for all the eggs, and then start peeling off the eggs starting from the first one which you cracked.

Good luck

So,how many eggs are you boiling at a a time?? I just boil the one I'm going to eat.
  • brentopia
    brentopia Posts: 113 Member
    Funny thread - so many methods! Lol. I bring the water to a boil, then put eggs in and set the oven timer for 14 minutes. Remove and put in an ice bath - then into the fridge. That's it. Simple and the yolks are light and fluffy and no green rind around them - and they always peel clean.
  • keighty8
    keighty8 Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2018
    Have you tried baking them? I did this for the first time last week and it was so nice having a dozen hard-boiled eggs ready to grab for easy breakfast and as a bonus they peeled a lot easier then boiled eggs.
  • bezlooney
    bezlooney Posts: 81 Member
    dqfsti2dyvsh.png
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Boil water. Use ladle to drop eggs in. Wait for water to get up to boiling again. Turn down slightly. Set timer for 12 minutes. Drain hot water. Fill pot with cold; drain; fill again with cold water; repeat one or more times until filled pot with eggs stays cool. Remove eggs. Dry. Refrigerate immediately. Have done this many, many times with all kinds of eggs and always peel fine.