What things annoy you at the gym

Options

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    ew- pictures in the changing room. Wierdos.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    debrag12 wrote: »
    Glad my gym as individual locker rooms.

I have when people don't unrack after use so I can't use the equipment.

What the heck is an individual locker room?

I know that all the Anytime Fitness gyms that I have been in they don't have locker rooms but 2-4 individual unisex bathrooms with a bench, toilet, sink/vanity, and shower in each.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I want a deadlift station and my gym doesn't have one. There isn't much space to create a my own area for it either.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the looks I get from other patrons... yes, I'm fat, no I don't like it, yes, I see you staring, no, I don't like being stared at while sweat pours off me in buckets...

I admire people who are taking steps to better health. Clearly these people need to focus more on their own workout.
  • LoveThickOrThin
    LoveThickOrThin Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the looks I get from other patrons... yes, I'm fat, no I don't like it, yes, I see you staring, no, I don't like being stared at while sweat pours off me in buckets...

I admire people who are taking steps to better health. Clearly these people need to focus more on their own workout.

I know I've caught myself looking at larger people at the gym. And I get that I need to be more careful of it, but the thoughts running through my head are more of the "I've been there and good for you for starting out" then anything else.

I was that fat person, I still am just 80lbs less fat and I look at people and think "hell yeah you got this!" I smile at them too, it probably weirds them out.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Others have mentioned the big ones - leaving machines without wiping, waiting on people to get done texting to get on equipment, cologne (oh my God I hate that one, I've nearly died before doing a tougher rowing workout and someone walks over to the ab slant board next to me wearing a gallon of cologne!). One that happened the other day to me was I went into the locker room and (without checking) sat down to take my sweats off and my shorts were soaked! If you sit on a community bench with your wet *kitten*, wipe it off with your towel people!
  • getskinny1973
    getskinny1973 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

I know I've caught myself looking at larger people at the gym. And I get that I need to be more careful of it, but the thoughts running through my head are more of the "I've been there and good for you for starting out" then anything else.

I am in the same boat, if I do stare, it's in admiration. I admire their bravery and strength for being at the gym. We all have to start somewhere.

I also catch myself staring at the ladies with hot bods too. and it's not a judgmental stare at all, it's an envious stare and I am thinking in my head that hopefully one day I can get to that point.
  • jelly_potato
    jelly_potato Posts: 77 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    The gym in my sport center does this Intensity lesson at least once a day and some people go specifically for it. I think it is some variation of HIIT but they also use sometimes gym equipment (leg extension machine, leg curl machine etc.) so I can't be sure. When the lesson begins the instructors 'reserve' the equipment and make it impossible for anyone else in the gym to use it for the next 30-45 minutes even if the equipment is not used in the lesson. I understand that it is not that much time, but there is not much communication that would inform people when the lessons take place, so it is quite inconvenient for people exercising at the same time and who may not have the extra time to wait.

Edit: At least that's how it was 1.5 years ago, I've switched the center's group lessons since then so I can't say for sure whether anything is different now.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I read one person say they get bothered by people taking pictures of themselves in the dressing room, well I am guilty of this, I usually try to do it when no one else is in there, but I've been caught a few times. The reason I do this, is because I like to see my results in a full length mirror, I do not have a full length at home. But I don't see why this should bother anyone, I'm not harming anyone by taking a photo of myself (my profile pic is a dressing room selfie and no one was harmed in the taking of this photo LOL)

That was me! But, I think your scenario is totally different and not at all annoying! When no one us around, who cares!! At my gym the locker room is always women in various stages if undress. I don't think I've ever seen it empty.
  • kelseypow
    kelseypow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Others have mentioned the big ones - leaving machines without wiping, waiting on people to get done texting to get on equipment, cologne (oh my God I hate that one, I've nearly died before doing a tougher rowing workout and someone walks over to the ab slant board next to me wearing a gallon of cologne!). One that happened the other day to me was I went into the locker room and (without checking) sat down to take my sweats off and my shorts were soaked! If you sit on a community bench with your wet *kitten*, wipe it off with your towel people!

I'm so glad that my gym has adopted a scent-free policy! Not everyone respects it, but it at least makes people think twice about going full aerosol smell cloud in the locker room. Can't stand the people who just waft across the room.
  • getskinny1973
    getskinny1973 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

That was me! But, I think your scenario is totally different and not at all annoying! When no one us around, who cares!! At my gym the locker room is always women in various stages if undress. I don't think I've ever seen it empty.[/quote]

When I do get caught, I straight up tell them "I've recently lost a lot of weight and I'm proud of it and I want pictures to compare before and afters" I really don't care what they think lol
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options

I am in the same boat, if I do stare, it's in admiration. I admire their bravery and strength for being at the gym. We all have to start somewhere.

I also catch myself staring at the ladies with hot bods too. and it's not a judgmental stare at all, it's an envious stare and I am thinking in my head that hopefully one day I can get to that point.
    The YMCA I go to has an incredible Jacuzzi spa. But the spa is the place of annoying people behaviors at times.

1. People who don't shower before entering the spa. Especially the ones that enter all sweaty from playing basket ball, or after using the dry sauna and steam room.
    2. People that enter with inappropriate swim gear such as faded out swim suits. Suits that have morphed into see through swim suits.
    3. People not wearing YMCA appropriate attire in the jaccuzi. The worst offender was a young lady that wore a thong bikini into the Jacuzzi. The life guards still talk about that scene.
    4. People that use semipermanent hair dye that streams off their hair and into the tub as their hair gets wet.
    5. People that clip their nails in the tub and then put the clippings on the side of the tub.
    6. People using cell phones in the jacuzzi.
    7. Young kids trying to enter the Jacuzzi. Hello? "The Jacuzzi is adult-land".