Women in their 40s!

Options

Replies

• neepex27
    neepex27 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Is it just me, or does food taste better when you're counting calories? Sounds crazy, but I know that I'm only allowed so much and it tastes so good, lol.

How often do you weigh yourself? I get very frustrated, so I don't do it very often. But now that I'm logging my food, drinking my water, and staying active, I have high hopes that the next time I do, I will see a change.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    For those of you that find being at home and eating out of boredom an issue. What do you think about prelogging your day? I often prelog the night before. Sometimes a couple days worth. I think sometimes when you have it written out already you just stick to it instead of making choices in the moment. My protein coffee and breakfast, and. Night time snack don't change all that much, just my other meals. But I prelog those too according to what I have in the fridge cooked. I can always change them around if I really want to.

@neepex27 I weigh myself every day. Always have. I recently bought a wifi scale so now it uploads automatically and I have to linked to a weight app. So it has trend lines and graphs. Weight will fluctuate daily and if you weigh on a high day you may get discouraged. Especially where you say you have high hopes for weigh in day. If you pick the wrong day to weigh you may get upset. It's good to understand your body and how your weight fluctuates to not get upset by it. This is of course not for everyone but I think it's helpful.

• Boxn_n_Bellydancn
    Boxn_n_Bellydancn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    1200 Calories is way to little for me to survive on. I have to do some sort of exercise every single day, just to earn enough calories for me to eat my dinner! lol
    But I guess that's a good motivation though.

Lol! Are you aiming for a pound a week? 1200 doesn’t work consistently for me either, possibly as I don’t have much to lose. I usually aim for a 350 deficit to obtain a pound every 10 days or so.
    I’m back to the gym fully next week, so I’ll see how it goes.
  • JustKeepSwimming2008
    JustKeepSwimming2008 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! Hoping I can jump into this group with you guys. I love how active this tread is, which really helps me personally to stay motivated and on the right track! Hoping I can help and support you guys too.

I'm 43 years old and have 40-50 lbs to lose at this point (I've lost about 20 lbs so far since Jan. 1st). I committed to making some serious changes when, after the holidays, I was feeling sluggish and just...well, blah. I jumped on the scale for the first time in a long time to find 198.6 lbs starring back at me. I was shocked. I had no idea...How did this happen?!?!? But I decided at that moment I needed to make changes.

I'm an RN on a busy Neuro floor, and I am always educating my patients on strokes and stroke prevention: Eating a healthy diet, exercise, maintaining a healthy weight. However, I was not leading by example. I was starting to feel like a hypocrite! Do as I say, not as I do...Not ok.

Fast forward to now. As of last Monday, I'm at 178 lbs, and would like to get down to about 130 or so. Even though I have a ways to go, I am feeling awesome! I've committed to eating healthy- whole grains, lean proteins, lots of fish, fruits and veggies. Trying to choose whole foods and stay away from processed foods and added sugars (with the exception of natual sugars and the honey I use in a couple recipes). I've started to become very active again...something I use to enjoy, I have discovered again! Loving my C25K training, cross-country skiing, and hiking with my hubby in a few state parks close to our home.

My plan is to stay active daily here on MFP to help motivate me to achieve my goals. If anyone has the same plan, feel free to add me. I'd love to have friends with the same goals and would love help and support each other on this journey! :)
  • neepex27
    Options
    Can anyone explain why such a huge difference in calories on Fitbit compared to mfp? y6zmg5gqa1qc.png
    6qvwnrfjzvzr.png I let Fitbit track my treadmill time and walks so I don't add them to mfp, should I be?
  • melissa6771
    Options
    This is going to be a lot to explain. First of all, what rate of loss do you have mfp set at? Looks like 1 pound a week?

So, mfp sets you at 1500 assuming your tdee is 2000, they deduct 500 off of that to give you 1500 to lose a pound a week. Assuming that's what mfp gave you. Or did you set it to 1500 yourself? (I'm thinking maybe you did that because looking at the numbers I would think mfp would give you 13-1400)

Your Fitbit says after all your steps and activity that your tdee is 2300. Deduct 500 off is that is 1800. So they add in the difference.

If you click on the adjustment in the app and then click on it again it will give you both systems numbers and explain the difference. It will give you more definite numbers than I can by guessing looking at this. But I hope it helps you understand.

Does this make sense?
  • neepex27
    Options
    Thanks, it somewhat makes sense. I'll have to let it sink in. Not sure how to make an adjustment in the app.

I set the mfp myself....again not sure how to let it do it for me.

Oye! This technology confuses me. Looks like I have some research to do. Thanks
  • priyaananth
    priyaananth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi I would like to join as well. I am 40, and need to lose 20 lbs. I was 20 pounds heavier, lost 40, then gained back another 20 which was so depressing. I hope to get back to my original self. Looking for inspiration
  • ObaChanMaja
    ObaChanMaja Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 45 turning 46 in two weeks. Been on and off MFP for a few years. Have had 2 ACDF surgeries and a hysterectomy. I lost 23lbs last year and have kept it off. Went down to 127 but have recently crept up to 135 after starting a weight training journey 6 weeks ago. Feeling frustrated with visible results (although my son says I have guns now LOL) but feeling incredible and strong. I'm determined to chisel this body and prove to myself I can overcome any adversity.
    Wish I found this thread earlier, all of you are inspiring!
  • charlottemccullough7244
    Options
    I am right there with you on weighing myself every day. I fully expect fluctuations on a daily basis, but it’s easier for me to make a daily adjustments to keep that downward “trend” then it is to adjust for larger adjustments weekly.

In my mind, it’s no different than my bank account. If I’m truly “adulting”, I’m keeping track of my money on a daily basis rather than at the end of a week or two seeing my balance and going “holy crap!” I hope that makes sense...
  • brihn
    brihn Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I would love the at the added to this group. I’m 41 and want to loss 30 lbs. I started over again for what must be the hundredth time. I lost 35 lbs last year and gained 45 lbs back. Hopefully I can keep the momentum this time. Also I am doing a low carb diet similar to Ideal Protein.
  • Booksandoceans
    Booksandoceans Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I’m 40 and maintaining. Between 5’7 and 5’8 and between 126 and 131 pounds. Single mom to an active five year old. Vegetarian. Proud to weigh less than I have since I was 12.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I am right there with you on weighing myself every day. I fully expect fluctuations on a daily basis, but it’s easier for me to make a daily adjustments to keep that downward “trend” then it is to adjust for larger adjustments weekly.

In my mind, it’s no different than my bank account. If I’m truly “adulting”, I’m keeping track of my money on a daily basis rather than at the end of a week or two seeing my balance and going “holy crap!” I hope that makes sense...

Bwahaha! This would explain why I'm rubbish at logging. I rarely ever check my bank account. All our bills and paychecks are auto drafted, so I'll go weeks or months without looking at it.

Ugh...it cut off the rest of my reply. I hate that.

I was saying that when I'm maintaining the status quo I can't be bothered to log, but when I'm actively trying to lose weight I have to. Kind of like if I were to actively try to save more money. I'd have to track my transactions more diligently.
  • lisle426
    lisle426 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Add me as well, 45 need to loose a few but been on a eating plan
  • fabkarma
    fabkarma Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    PorfforBat wrote: »
    Would love friends. Not sure how to add them.

If you're on the app: I click on blue user name - profile photo opens up, click on user name again. Message window opens, where you can send a friend request. B)

I'm looking for friends too, all you amazing ladies. Finding inspiration from you! 46-yr old mom of 2 young boys who can't seem to find time to do anything I want to do, especially for daily exercise.
  • Garnica2018
    Garnica2018 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I would to friend anyone here.
  • fabkarma
    fabkarma Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Can't sleep so catching up on this most excellent thread. (Part of being new on here is simply figuring out where things are, and I keep forgetting to look).

@angelacatheart I worked from home for a few years and looking back, that was associated with my weight creep. I foolishly didn't use the chance to work out whenever I wanted b/c I was always on the consulting clock.

@mom23mangos everything you said cracked me up. I am also rubbish (love that British expression) at logging for same reasons, and I find it distracting... And have to retype each message twice when I lose it by clicking done instead of reply.

Baby steps. Happy weekend all, from the south of Florida
  • melissa6771
    Options
    Happy Sunday girlies. Sunday is weigh in days, log my weight for the week. I'm on my third day of shark week and still had a loss. Only .4 but hey, I'll take it, losing during shark week is a miracle for me. Sundays are my free day food wise. Trying to decide what I'll have today. Maybe a German pancake or banana pancakes for breakfast, and veal parm for dinner. Dessert remains to be seen. Carrot cake with coconut frosting?

I've had a headache every day for Almost 5 days now. Go away! Drinking some coffee now and then off to the gym for leg day and cardio.

I'm going to marinate a pork tenderloin to grill tomorrow for some meals. Think I'll pick up some chicken thighs too to make my stewed thighs with potatoes and carrots. Delicious meal and so healthy.

Have a great day. Do something to get ready for the upcoming week. Meal prepping and being prepared is key to success.
  • suubelle2000
    suubelle2000 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just turned 49 a few months ago, and have 80+ to lose (-15 off so far). Boy oh boy does it seem to get harder to lose, the older I get. I think a lot had to do with my mindset of "ok, i'm too old to keep doing this. I'm going to eat what I want and enjoy the time I have left and if others don't like it, oh well." Finally out of THAT fog! And, heading out for a long walk :wink:

One day (and meal) at a time!!