What things annoy you at the gym

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Went to one class about 3 months. Never met the teacher. Different sub every class.
    Another class listed as yoga for 9 months. Substitute didn't know yoga, so did boot camp instead. For 9 months.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member

That was me! But, I think your scenario is totally different and not at all annoying! When no one us around, who cares!! At my gym the locker room is always women in various stages if undress. I don't think I've ever seen it empty.

When I do get caught, I straight up tell them "I've recently lost a lot of weight and I'm proud of it and I want pictures to compare before and afters" I really don't care what they think lol[/quote]

That's awesome!! And congrats on the loss!! Do people really confront you?! Even if it bugs me I would never tell them to stop, unless I was naked in the background haha! People have got to loosen up a bit!
  • elsayegh25
    elsayegh25 Posts: 207 Member
    Farters , loud people and those who want to jump into the machine with u without asking are the most annoying
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    This is tiny pet peeves but we have limited cubby space at my gym for belongings and a key rack right next to it. None are lockers. On busy days sometimes multiple people will take up an entire large cubby with literally a single key lol or a single water bottle, then others with actual stuff (purses , shoes , bags) have to put it on the floor.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    A lot of times people are watching the mirror or taking video/pics to check their own form. What’s it to you?

I actually started receiving great feedback from trainers around some form issues when I posted my videos on Instagram. I’ll continue watching the mirror and filming because it help me and I’m who I’m there for.

I honestly don’t care what others do at the gym as long as they wipe down the equipment
  • genchiyu
    genchiyu Posts: 244 Member
    One of the gyms here in Vegas smell rotten and they don't clean up after they use the equipment. I'm talking about the women's gym. Co-ed is more spacious so the smell is more spread out haha.
    In all seriousness, people who don't wipe the equipment down. Wipe your butt too.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,106 Member
    This didn't really affect me because I was already done with my swim, but if it happened to me I'd be at least a little annoyed. I came out of the steam tonight, and there was ONE person in the pool swimming laps. Someone wanted to cool off from being in the spa. All the lanes except one were EMPTY. Yet this person jumped in the ONE AND ONLY lane being used and started swimming leisurely to cool off and was in the way of the poor fellow swimming laps.

I'm no neat freak, but I do find it annoying when people can't put their dirty towels where they belong, leave trash around the locker room benches & floor, and leave their GIANT personal gear bag out in the way on the fitness floor -- leave it in a locker or stash it out of the way. Not so much annoyed, but confused about people drying with paper towels after their shower. Odd indeed. If you forget a towel, the gym will let you use one of theirs.

People who leave their screaming kids to run around in a racquetball court where the noise travels all through the fitness floor. The court is not the playroom. There is a playroom. That's what it's for.

Otherwise, everything is pretty copacetic at our li'l gym.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    I can totally see how people leaving a machine sweaty would be annoying.

I can't see how a persons " swagger " or looking at themselves in a mirror would have any impact on me at all.

For real. Isn’t that the point of exercise to look great inside and out?

Devil’s advocate here - it would bother me if someone was taking photos in the locker room, which is what OP said. This is especially true after the incident with that (idiot) Playboy model who intentionally included a half naked woman in her locker room selfie.

Yes it would also bother me if people where taking pictures of me while dressing ( that is why I included that part in my question of how it impacts the op )

I take photos of myself in the locker room in my gym to show my progress but I make sure no one else is in the locker room when I do it because our mirror is so close to the showers
  • Anna_137
    Anna_137 Posts: 167 Member
    When there is a whole row of empty treadmills but they jump in the one right next to you anyway.

People just sitting/standing on the equipment looking at their phone for 10 minutes before relinquishing it for someone else to use.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    JBApplebee wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Nudity is expected in a locker room. While drying off after showering be aware of your body position especially when bending over Nobody wants to come around a corner and be greeted by the brown eye.

You have a towel when you shower, you can wrap it around you until you put some clothes on

One cannot put a towel around themselves when drying their body off. My point was, when drying off, don't be bending over pointing the brown eye at people.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    The guy who refuses to allow people to work in with him because "people slow him up and throw off his groove", yet he cleared off half the dumbbell rack and now lives in the squat track. This dude had the nerve to give me an eye roll for using 2 benches for feet elevated dips because the machine was taken.

People who crap talk other members on their physical appearance, how much they lift, how "amateur" their workout looks... we all started somewhere. Focus on yourself.

Leaving the sink area sopping wet. Leaving behind wipes, hairballs, and pads in changing rooms instead of the trash. Nasty.

This dude at the gym was hogging the cable machine for a good half our & then had the nerve to yell at another guy for wanting to share it with him. He was being so ridiculous I told him he needed to calm down & that the machines are there for everyone to use. Now he gives me dirty looks whenever he sees me at the gym. Oh well!

You weren't even involved with wanting to use the machine, told him he was ridiculous, etc. He now gives you dirty looks, can't imagine why :).
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    My Y just replaced their hot water heater, but it takes 5 full minutes to come to temp. Very annoyed by this.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Perfume. I can overlook anything else, but I hate getting a lung full of White Diamonds when I am on the treadmill (or anywhere else). Lotions and deoderant do not bother me, but perfumes really upset my breathing.
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Anna_137 wrote: »
    People just sitting/standing on the equipment looking at their phone for 10 minutes before relinquishing it for someone else to use.

This
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    The guy lifting next to me who reeks of pot. I'm all for getting high on your own time, but I don't need a contact high while I'm lifting!
  • rckeeper22
    rckeeper22 Posts: 103 Member
    People who put the dumbbells back out of order. I rarely see folks refuse to but their dumbbells away at all, but putting a 50 lb set next to the 25 lbs just makes me all twitchy.
  • tiefighther66
    tiefighther66 Posts: 22 Member
    people who are on their phone the whole time :(
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited March 2018
    mph323 wrote: »
    My pet peeve (and this is my problem, not something I would expect other people to be thinking about) is when I want to use the cable machine, and the last person has left the pulley at the top. I'm 5'3" with short arms and not much upper body strength, and I end up either going through comic contortions getting the pin out with my finger tips and not dropping the cable on my foot, or hanging around looking pathetic until a taller person looks available and I can ask for help.

I've never thought of this before. I leave it at the top after using it. It's not a pin but a lever and I bet you would have a tough time moving it.

I'll try to remember to move it back down after. Not for you, obviously, but yeah I can see how that would be considerate to others.

Bless you. I routinely have to scale the machine by climbing up on the hand holds to reach the pin. Then I can lower it half-way, jump down and lower it the rest of the way.

Another shortie annoyance involving the cable machine. The straight bar weighs more than the lowest plate, so if you are using it, you have to hold it up in order to move the pin to a different weight. When you are a shortie, you don't have the reach to both hold the bar up and move the pin at the same time.