Keto & IF & Calorie Counting

Options
Any other people on here that do Keto & IF but also keep your Calories in check as well.

I lost 90 lbs counting calories but slowly gained 20 lbs of it back over the past couple of years. So no I am not looking for any any of the message board expert human biologist to tell me that Keto is a myth and all that matters is calorie deficit.

I already know that Calorie deficit works, but it can also slow metabolism over time as well. I am also skeptical that you can eat as many calories as you want while on Keto.

If anyone else on here has done all three of these or even just Keto & IF I would love to hear your experiences and if it worked for you.

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been loosely following 16:8 IF for many years, because I don't get terribly hungry in the morning and prefer delaying my first meal because I like a large dinner in the evening.

I did keto for about a year before ultimately finding it too restrictive then regaining all the weight I lost with it. I just enjoy carbs too much. I tried working carby cheat meals into my plan, but I'd just end up with a painful bloated stomach... so that wasn't fun.

I've lost the majority of my weight with calorie counting and it's so much easier than trying to stick to a restrictive diet. I get to enjoy all my favourite foods in moderation.

I'm almost at my goal weight now and honestly getting pretty sick of calorie counting, so I think I will try shortening my IF window to see if I can naturally control my calorie intake that way. And of course, monitoring my weight closely to nip any regains quickly.
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't do Keto, but I do IF religiously and it's awesome. I think you just need to find something that works and that you can do ALL your life. I always plan to do IF just because of it's benefits.

The real question you need to ask yourself is this. Can you do Keto until you die and enjoy life?
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I don't do IF but have been doing Keto + calorie counting for about a month. It's very easy for me to stay within my calorie goal because Keto foods are so filling.
  • kverenat
    kverenat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Following
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I do keto, IF and also count calories. So far this WOE has been the only way that has worked for me to successfully lose weight and manage my blood sugars, insulin resistance and chronic pain, especially since surgeries and radiation. I haven't actually tried eating over my calories to see if I would still end up losing weight. As I am short, my allowance isn't really big to begin with, so if I bumped it up, it would be difficult to keep my carbs under 20. And, for me, I do not find Keto restrictive at all. I eat better now than I did before and feel 200% better; plus the benefit of dropping pain and anti-inflammation meds (less inflammation on keto) and blood sugar testing supplies. I am glad I found something that works for me.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    DerekVTX wrote: »

I already know that Calorie deficit works, but it can also slow metabolism over time as well. I am also skeptical that you can eat as many calories as you want while on Keto.

Whether your doing keto to lose weight or IF, you're always at a caloric deficit even if you don't track anything and you happen to lose weight....so I don't understand exactly what you mean by slowing the metabolism over time as well.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Any other people on here that do Keto & IF but also keep your Calories in check as well.

I lost 90 lbs counting calories but slowly gained 20 lbs of it back over the past couple of years. So no I am not looking for any any of the message board expert human biologist to tell me that Keto is a myth and all that matters is calorie deficit.

If anyone else on here has done all three of these or even just Keto & IF I would love to hear your experiences and if it worked for you.

You might also try posting this question in the Low-Carb group, there is a link to it on the Message Boards home page.

Keto works because it gets people who are satiated by fats into a calorie deficit, whether they are counting calories or not. Some people think that because they lost weight without counting calories, that means calories don't matter. But it just means they were eating at a deficit without trying.

A deficit will only slow your metabolism measurably if you are at a large deficit for a long period of time.

I'm sure their are plenty of people counting calories here who are doing Keto and IF, so I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback. I thrive on carbs, so it's not for me, but I know it works great for some. Good luck!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ...Does it work for some people? Sure.

Sure it works for some people. As long as they keep their calories in check. Because the way you lose weight is to consume less calories than you expend, period (I know you know this, just putting it out there for others who may not realize it).

Keto is not magic, nor is IF. If you eat too many calories you gain weight, no matter how your macros are arranged or what time of the day you eat them.
  • Fizzypopization
    Fizzypopization Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    cosmobella wrote: »
    For me, Keto and IF are the ONLY things that seem to work well for me and be sustainable long term. So many throw in the whole " restrictive" and "not sustainable" tags alongside Keto, which is unfair. Keto has long been known for several medical uses. It's not a fad diet, but just like medications it will work best for people who really need it most. It's not for everyone. The whole "not sustainable" is annoying in my opinion. The fact that some people lack the willpower or ability to dig down deep to stay committed isn't a lack of sustainability, it's just a lack of willpower. That's fine, if it's that difficult for someone, then they should try another way that will work best for them.

I am a female, so there are so many different factors as far as keto and weight loss that come into play for me VS. you as a male. The whole menstrual cycle, hormonal fluctuations, needing less calories etc...but counting calories is definitely necessary. At least for me, personally. I think Dr. Atkins said so himself, you can't eat in a calorie surplus and lose. It's basic science, even still for Keto. I have to still eat at a deficit to lose weight, but not as drastic of a deficit as just calories in/calories out. I like that part! I also love IF because it has changed the game for me as far as hunger pains, cravings, and just my general results. I've heard numerous times that weight loss is only a portion of exercise and mostly in your diet. Not for me, either. I will have a pristine clean diet and not lose a pound unless I work out. I'm a short female, so maybe that's it? Either way, finding your personal prescription and what works for you is the thing to do, and stick with it!

Overall, you definitely need to count calories on Keto, you just don't have to starve yourself. Good job in sticking with the two and congrats on any success you've had. Keep it up!!

It was meant to control a medical conditon for children. It has also been called by the medical community one of the worst diets and its not intended for long term use.
  • Fizzypopization
    Fizzypopization Posts: 29 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I don't struggle with fasting its something I naturally do. I can go 1-3 days without food. Though I tend to stick to the fasting rule of anything under 500cal a day is fasting. So for me long term its not difficult. No help on keto as i love veggies and don't think keto is healthy. I agree though that the best diet is one you can stick to long term because it mimics how you naturally eat.

I dont consider myself on IF because its naturally how I eat. I don't follow a diet plan strictly, but using Mediterranean loosely as thats closest to how I eat naturally. I want to eat less meat too so this helps. So figure out what that is for you and stick to that.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    These are he only things that work for me. Calorie counting with a non Keto diet leaves me hangry, craving everything in sight, and binging. Keto, IF, and keeping my calories in check work. I exercise for a bit more leeway in my diet, the energy it gives me and...muscles.

Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    For me, Keto and IF are the ONLY things that seem to work well for me and be sustainable long term. So many throw in the whole " restrictive" and "not sustainable" tags alongside Keto, which is unfair. Keto has long been known for several medical uses. It's not a fad diet, but just like medications it will work best for people who really need it most. It's not for everyone. The whole "not sustainable" is annoying in my opinion. The fact that some people lack the willpower or ability to dig down deep to stay committed isn't a lack of sustainability, it's just a lack of willpower. That's fine, if it's that difficult for someone, then they should try another way that will work best for them.

I am a female, so there are so many different factors as far as keto and weight loss that come into play for me VS. you as a male. The whole menstrual cycle, hormonal fluctuations, needing less calories etc...but counting calories is definitely necessary. At least for me, personally. I think Dr. Atkins said so himself, you can't eat in a calorie surplus and lose. It's basic science, even still for Keto. I have to still eat at a deficit to lose weight, but not as drastic of a deficit as just calories in/calories out. I like that part! I also love IF because it has changed the game for me as far as hunger pains, cravings, and just my general results. I've heard numerous times that weight loss is only a portion of exercise and mostly in your diet. Not for me, either. I will have a pristine clean diet and not lose a pound unless I work out. I'm a short female, so maybe that's it? Either way, finding your personal prescription and what works for you is the thing to do, and stick with it!

Overall, you definitely need to count calories on Keto, you just don't have to starve yourself. Good job in sticking with the two and congrats on any success you've had. Keep it up!!

All but eliminating an entire macro is the very definition of "restrictive"...whether or not you feel restricted is another matter...but all but eliminating and an entire macro is a huge restriction.

Just because it's been around doesn't mean it's not currently a fad...it is...fads come and go, but that doesn't mean whatever the fad was didn't exist before or doesn't exist afterwards...a fad is just a mass following at a particular moment in time.

A sustainable way of eating shouldn't require a whole lot of will power...which is why it wouldn't be sustainable for those people. Will power is a limited resource...if someone needs a whole bunch of will power to eat a certain way, chances are they aren't going to go very far with it. I'd say for the vast majority of people out there, all but eliminating an entire macro-nutrient isn't going to be sustainable long term. I know of exactly zero of the people in my real life who've jumped on the wagon and done keto and stuck to it long term, let alone forever.

Does it work for some people? Sure.

Low carb is not really eliminating an entire macro. It's "low" carb and not "no" carb.

As you said, low carb is restrictive. It restricts carb intake. But all weight loss diets are restrictive. If you don't restrict calories somewhere, you aren't going to lose any weight. Low carb just means that only (or mainly) carb calories are restricted rather than restricting all macros somewhat. How you restrict is a matter of personal choice, and possibly your heath requirements.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    ...I am also skeptical that you can eat as many calories as you want while on Keto....
    As well you should be, because anybody who claims that knows absolutely nothing about physiology or energy balance. If you consume more calories than you expend, you will gain weight regardless of what the macro composition of your diet is.

Intermittent fasting works for some people in that the eating pattern provides better satiety, and thus better adherence to their calorie goals. Other than that, there's no magic to it. You can gain, lose or maintain weight while doing IF. It still comes down to how many calories you eat, not what time of the day you eat them.

I generally eat in a 16/8 pattern. I can easily put away 3000-4000 calories in that 8 hour window (and have done so many, many times). I'm under no illusion that I wouldn't gain weight if I chose to do that on a regular basis.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

In all fairness, all diets are non sustainable, its why every single one has an 80 to 90% failure rate. It's why so many people have to try 5 or more diets to find one that suits them. If why, if someone ask what is the best way to eat, there is no answer, but your success or my success doesn't mean it will apply to the poster. And in many cases, it has nothing to do with will power. Any time I get near low carb, I am starving and my workout performance suffers; i discovered this when I was hovering around 100g of carbs per day. And I habitually consume around 5g of sodium a day, so it's unlikely an electrolyte imbalance.

OP, the best thing you can do is try it out and see how it goes. It's possible you might want to start with just one or the other.