What things annoy you at the gym

Options

Replies

• ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    The combined list derived from prior threads on this topic is endless. Expect no different in this one.

7 pages of comments makes my point. ;)

People just love to complain about what they hate about going to the gym.

LOL! :)

Here's a new one for you - has anyone ever fallen asleep on a machine, and you had to get a gym employee to wake them so that you could use it?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Mainly I just let people be, if you need something simply ask nicely. Everyone deserves to do what they need to do in the gym. I love working with people so that everyone can get what they need too. You have no idea why they need to do whatever they are doing.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    The whining, crying, complaining "I can't do this", grouching that goes on......oh wait, never mind, that's only my internal discussion with myself prior to each lifting session.

ha ha. That's me on leg day. Lot of internal whining going on.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    seepersaud wrote: »

Runners who want to sprint on the treadmill, so you hear a loud pound-pound-pound-pound...go take that outside.

I'm confused. If I'm on the treadmill, why do I have less right to run fast than the guy next to me moving at a slow walk? It's my workout, if I want to train fast I don't see the problem.

Never in my life would I have thought that running on a treadmill would be something that was a gym annoyance . . . here I was feeling all happy that I wasn't being annoying (ahem, at least in this one small area of my life).
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Runners who want to sprint on the treadmill, so you hear a loud pound-pound-pound-pound...go take that outside.

I'm confused. If I'm on the treadmill, why do I have less right to run fast than the guy next to me moving at a slow walk? It's my workout, if I want to train fast I don't see the problem.

Never in my life would I have thought that running on a treadmill would be something that was a gym annoyance . . . here I was feeling all happy that I wasn't being annoying (ahem, at least in this one small area of my life).

Yeah, I'm a heel-striker and make a definite thud with each landing. I had no idea I was violating treadmill etiquette.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have to run on the treadmill, at least until the ice and snow go away and I can head back outside.....
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    and floss their teeth in the pool.

Better than the butt flossers....
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    and floss their teeth in the pool.

Better than the butt flossers....

I'm ok with that as long as they have a buddy helping them out.

Seriously though, bandaids on the bottom of the pool are gross.

Agreed. I'll count how many are in my lane this afternoon for you.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Yeah, I'm a heel-striker and make a definite thud with each landing. I had no idea I was violating treadmill etiquette.

You're good.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    ValeriePlz wrote: »
    The combined list derived from prior threads on this topic is endless. Expect no different in this one.

7 pages of comments makes my point. ;)

People just love to complain about what they hate about going to the gym.

LOL! :)

Here's a new one for you - has anyone ever fallen asleep on a machine, and you had to get a gym employee to wake them so that you could use it?

I have never seen that, but I go to 24 hour fitness between 4:30 and 5:00 am and there was one guy who worked the overnight shift who was often sound asleep, sitting right in front at the reception desk.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    There is one thing I hate. That is the limited childcare hours my gym have. That's it. Once Im there Im focused in my workout and not my surroundings.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    debrag12 wrote: »
    Glad my gym as individual locker rooms.

I have when people don't unrack after use so I can't use the equipment.

What the heck is an individual locker room?

Sorry changing rooms
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve (and this is my problem, not something I would expect other people to be thinking about) is when I want to use the cable machine, and the last person has left the pulley at the top. I'm 5'3" with short arms and not much upper body strength, and I end up either going through comic contortions getting the pin out with my finger tips and not dropping the cable on my foot, or hanging around looking pathetic until a taller person looks available and I can ask for help.

I've never thought of this before. I leave it at the top after using it. It's not a pin but a lever and I bet you would have a tough time moving it.

I'll try to remember to move it back down after. Not for you, obviously, but yeah I can see how that would be considerate to others.

Bless you. I routinely have to scale the machine by climbing up on the hand holds to reach the pin. Then I can lower it half-way, jump down and lower it the rest of the way.

Another shortie annoyance involving the cable machine. The straight bar weighs more than the lowest plate, so if you are using it, you have to hold it up in order to move the pin to a different weight. When you are a shortie, you don't have the reach to both hold the bar up and move the pin at the same time.

Yes!

Another one, not shortie specific, is those purple who weigh down the knee pad on the assisted pull up machine with plates to do regular pull ups instead of just using the pull up rack. Then leave the plates there. So I have to figure out how to unload this thing without getting hit in the face with the knee pad when help isn't available.

Doesn't the knee pad fold down? ours does.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »
    My pet peeve (and this is my problem, not something I would expect other people to be thinking about) is when I want to use the cable machine, and the last person has left the pulley at the top. I'm 5'3" with short arms and not much upper body strength, and I end up either going through comic contortions getting the pin out with my finger tips and not dropping the cable on my foot, or hanging around looking pathetic until a taller person looks available and I can ask for help.

I've never thought of this before. I leave it at the top after using it. It's not a pin but a lever and I bet you would have a tough time moving it.

I'll try to remember to move it back down after. Not for you, obviously, but yeah I can see how that would be considerate to others.

Bless you. I routinely have to scale the machine by climbing up on the hand holds to reach the pin. Then I can lower it half-way, jump down and lower it the rest of the way.

Another shortie annoyance involving the cable machine. The straight bar weighs more than the lowest plate, so if you are using it, you have to hold it up in order to move the pin to a different weight. When you are a shortie, you don't have the reach to both hold the bar up and move the pin at the same time.

Yes!

Another one, not shortie specific, is those purple who weigh down the knee pad on the assisted pull up machine with plates to do regular pull ups instead of just using the pull up rack. Then leave the plates there. So I have to figure out how to unload this thing without getting hit in the face with the knee pad when help isn't available.

Doesn't the knee pad fold down? ours does.

Yes it does but it doesn't stop people from doing this stupidity.