Slow Runners Unite!

Someone please tell me you also run SUPER slowly? I'm at 3.5mph/17 minutes a mile. I'm embarrassed to say it and it keeps me on the treadmill instead of outside because if there's no scenery to pass then I can't tell, lol.

I can go for 25 minutes now, 1.5 miles, which I'm also a little embarrassed about, but mostly proud, since I couldn't do that before. I know speed will come later, but right now I'm just looking for other slow runners so I know I'm not alone. :D

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    There is nothing to be embarrassed about. You’re running and that’s great! I bet you are running further now than when you started too.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Your speed doesn't matter. What matters is that you're doing something to better yourself!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,749 Member
    edited March 2018
    BootsDBA wrote: »
    Someone please tell me you also run SUPER slowly? I'm at 3.5mph/17 minutes a mile. I'm embarrassed to say it and it keeps me on the treadmill instead of outside because if there's no scenery to pass then I can't tell, lol.

I can go for 25 minutes now, 1.5 miles, which I'm also a little embarrassed about, but mostly proud, since I couldn't do that before. I know speed will come later, but right now I'm just looking for other slow runners so I know I'm not alone. :D

Please don’t be embarrassed, you should feel proud your running. Your running is far MORE important than how fast you are! I’m a slow runner too but ran a lot of races even a couple half marathons.
  • yoliyoda
    yoliyoda Posts: 58 Member
    capaul42 wrote: »
    A slow mile is still a mile. You should be super proud. As they say, you're lapping every one on the couch no matter how fast/slow you're going.
    Everyone starts somewhere.

I love this!

• UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    I see those people outside walking super fast and I envy them! I can run marathons but I wish I could just speed walk with all the other ladies.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    It doesn't matter what your pace is, you're still running!
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    You are running!!!!.....pace is personal and it's different for all of us. Don't compare your pace to someone else's, comparison is the thief of joy!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Running is running. I run as slow as dirt, but I've got endurance, and frankly, as long as I'm not last, I don't necessarily care. (I mean, I do care, but not enough that I stop running.)
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    Way to go!! Running is running and it sounds like you are doing great! Congratulations! Keep it up!
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Never be embarrassed about getting more active and trying to improve your health. I once walked a 5k in an ACL brace before I was cleared to run. (My goal was to not finish last.) The route is through a residential area where a lot of the people sit outside on their front porch and wave as the runners and walkers go by. I just smiled and waved at them just like I always do when I am actually running the race. Even now that the knee isn't a factor, still usually do 10-12min/mile pace, which I know isn't going to win any of the races, but who cares. Be proud of yourself for being able to run the 1.5 miles without stopping. Great job!
  • bread_winner
    bread_winner Posts: 16 Member
    This thread totally resonates with me lol. I am soooo self-conscious of my slowness. Switching from roads to trails has helped a ton but I'd be lying if I claimed my pace didn't bother me.
    The only thing to do though, is measure improvement against yourself. If you're improving - not much else you can ask for.
    But yeah - I still feel you lol
  • goatg
    goatg Posts: 1,399 Member
    I started a few weeks ago and the treadmill shows I "run" at 3.7 miles per hour. I can jog at that pace for 5 min, walk for 2 min up to 4 times now. I'm incredibly proud of myself and excited as I have never been the athletic type.

That is awesome! Keep it up! As you run more you'll find that your rest period decreases : )
  • Andrea4456
    Andrea4456 Posts: 39 Member
    Speed doesn't matter - you're doing it! And beating everyone who's sitting on the couch! I always say I jog at a leisurely pace ;) - but it's still a jog!
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    a mile and a half is awesome, at any pace! when i first started running, i thought i would die after running one minute, even at a slow pace. don't worry about how fast you're going... just keep running and one day you'll realize your speed has increased without you even trying.
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    I started c25k last spring at about 3.6 mph on the treadmill, eventually moved it up to 4 mph and got stuck there. Started running outside this winter and realized I could run a 13 min/mi pretty easily.

I just ran my first half marathon on Sunday and averaged a 12 min/mile pace (2:38 total), finishing before 2000 other people.

I still can't get over 4mph (15 min/mile) on the treadmill though :neutral:

Keep at it, have fun. At the end of the day as long as you do what you can consistently you'll get faster and be able to run longer than before :D