Volume Eaters Thread

Options

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    s22gxnuxtkjd.jpeg
    Vegan stuffed peppers over broccoli all cooked in Instant Pot. Peppers are stuffed with garbanzo beans and black rice. Huge and delicious!!

Omg this looks amazing !
  • janisseshirley
    janisseshirley Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So let me get this right, in order to "volume up" I would mainly just eat vegetables and not any meats at all? I would need to get my protein from shakes? Do the calories not add up in these protein shakes? What about carbs? I am diabetic so I am trying to watch my carbs.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    When I need to "volume up" my meals, I usually do one of two things: Sub the meat for another protein like beans, cottage cheese, yogurt, etc. OR sub the carb (pasta/rice/bread) for something like zoodles and maybe add a few crunchy seed crackers for that carb fix. Everything else is filled in with loads of veggies and sometimes I sweeten the pot with fruit.

I have a hard time getting enough protein, so I do have a protein shake (powder mixed with almond milk and skyr and banana or mango) for about 200 calories. It's thick and creamy and somewhat bulky, and helps me postpone my first meal of the day until later in the morning so my real breakfast and lunch are close together and feels kind of like one huge meal.
  • janisseshirley
    janisseshirley Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, it was very helpful. So if I am doing this, should I not be concerned with the carbs at all since they are low carbs. Should I try to keep at what MFP has determined for me, or does that not matter?
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't subscribe to any particular macro philosophy other than trying to meet my protein goal which I have manually set to .8 x my bodyweight. I tend to swing higher on carbs and lower on fat because that's what works for me, but others here are the opposite.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I don’t track macros, just eat to keep my energy up.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, it was very helpful. So if I am doing this, should I not be concerned with the carbs at all since they are low carbs. Should I try to keep at what MFP has determined for me, or does that not matter?

This would depend on your condition and how many carbs you can tolerate per meal. Do you test your glucose 1-3 hours after meals sometimes? Some diabetics can handle more carbs per meal than others, and the same kind of carb can affect diabetics differently. In general, low carb high fiber vegetables are well tolerated by most diabetics. This includes leafy greens, things like Cruciferous vegetables, things like zucchini, eggplants, mushrooms...etc. Some diabetics but not all can tolerate root vegetables in certain quantities, so you need to know how you personally tolerate things. Eating protein with your meals is very important for blood sugar management, too.

Many people here are not concerned with carbs because they are not diabetic, but you do need to pay attention to them. Low carb vegetables are rarely an issue for diabetics. No need to be scared of carbs, just know where your level of tolerance lies. MFP carb level may or may not be fine for you, you may or may not need to aim a little bit lower, but it's near impossible to hit the MFP carb level eating low calories vegetables, so it may not be a concern at all if you aren't adding bread, potatoes, or beans (beans are well tolerate by some diabetics, but not all).
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bumped, because it's a great thread for those of us that love to feel full for not too many calories. :)
  • Aerocrazd
    Aerocrazd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    My lunches this week. I got a whole case of this when I saw it on sale, because I love this flavour. Whole can of this for lunch everyday with a whole zucchini zoodles. Loads of food for 300cal and very filling.

ProdImage_CurriedCauli_Eng.png

That soup looks amazing. It doesn't look like they offer it in the U.S. Such a shame.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    What is that breakfast you made @crazyravr? Looks so good! I have never heard this term, "volume eating" before, but I definitely eat a high volume of food and love the way it makes me feel. Great ideas here. That caesin whip posted awhile back is my kind of snack. :):) Can't wait to make it.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks--I'm looking that up right now. Really glad I found this thread.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for easy finger foods? I’ve been relying on celery sticks and air popped popcorn. Other ideas? I’m meh on most other snacky veg: broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes, snap peas, peppers... I don’t dislike them but they don’t satisfy my munchies.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I really like huge salads. Like, serving bowl-sized salads. Tiny "normal" salads just don't do it for me. I have to have a really big salad with lots of stuff in it.

I have come up with a formula for creating "sexy salads", LOL. I pick one veggie or fruit from each color group (red, orange, yellow, green, purple/blue and white), one base leafy green (arugula, spinach, some kind of fancy lettuce or mixed spring greens), one grain (brown rice, farro, couscous, black rice, etc.) and two proteins. I'm vegan, so for me that would be baked tofu, seitan, Gardein chicken, beans or quinoa. 2 oz of each ingredient.

Topped with a homemade dressing or just a little olive oil and vinegar, it makes a really tasty and filling meal. However, I'm sometimes surprised at the high calorie content, even without dressing. I've got one that has arugula, red bell pepper, clementines, brussels sprouts, turnip, avocado, baked tofu, brown rice and black-eyed peas and it's over 500 calories!! So I save that one for when I'm eating light at other meals.

(ETA I have other salads of the same size that are only about 300 calories. Those are tasty too :) )

• Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Has anyone got any high volume breakfast recipes? I love this thread BTW I’m a huge volume eater!