Addicted to Diet Pepsi

Options
13»

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify something that was touched on before but seems to have gone unnoticed - OP said " I have trouble NOT drinking artificial sweeteners like in Diet Pepsi. I could drink a 2 Liter of Diet Pepsi, every day! "

I take that to be the sort of thing I would say as " I love chocolate, I could a eat a box a day" - sort of figure of speech, not something I actually do.
    I didnt take it that OP is actually drinking 2L of it a day.

I dont think it is a problem to like it OP and if you are drinking it in moderation that seems fine to me. As is moderate amounts of raspberry tea or whatever else you wanted to switch all or part of your diet pepsi amount into.
    Allowing for the calories, if any, in the substitute drinks.

If you have regularly been drinking a large amount of diet pepsi I would reduce gradually - because you are likely to have a mild addiction to caffeine

IMO mild caffeine addictions do not matter - I drink 3 or 4 cups of (admittedly weak) coffee a day myself so I'm a sure I have one too, something that does not worry me and I have no intentions of changing.

But if it is something you do want to change, go gradually.

• cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The FDA has established safe limits on Artificial Sweeteners. It was hard to find: ihttps://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm397725.htm#SummaryTable

Cola type drinks do contain added inorganic phosphate. The National Institute of Health published an article on our overconsumption of inorganic phosphates in America. It could be a real health issue.

Personally, I mostly drink water after my morning black coffee (which I love). I allow myself an indulgent soda about 4-6 times per year.

Enjoyment is important. Do your research and learn to love the things that love you back.

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    omg I love diet coke and diet pepso

I LOVE Diet Coke but LOATHE Diet Pepsi. My Husband now works for Coca Cola and brought me home a Diet hat the other day and we can even by it by the pallet! <3
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I feel bad laughing at these posts because some are jarring. I knew that the post regarding chemicals and the one about tricking your body was going to get some interesting replies. I can't stop laughing.

OP, I went about 15 months without drinking anything but water. Then I started back to drinking diet sodas. I enjoy them and don't feel any regret. However, lately, I have been buying (2) 20 ounce diet cokes 4-5 days a week as a treat. I was paying $4 bucks each time I purchased the sodas totaling $20 weekly. I tried the 12 pack cans to save on money, but they seemed flat and not as enjoyable. The cost was beginning to bother me more than actually drinking the 40 ounces at a time.

I started taking L-glutamine powder this week for another matter, and I noticed that I haven't purchased any sodas this week. It could be just a placebo type thing. Who knows? So at least this week I have saved a few bucks. We'll see about next week. :D
  • sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    "However, complicating factors such as smoking and alcohol use were not accounted for in these studies."

This means the study evaluated caffeine use but didn't measure whether the subjects also smoked and drank. You can discount the conclusions of any study so poorly designed.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    When I set my mind to it, I don't have trouble eating healthier food portions and vegetables. I have trouble NOT drinking artificial sweeteners like in Diet Pepsi. I could drink a 2 Liter of Diet Pepsi, every day! What is a cold drink that would give me the same satisfaction? I tried LaCroix (sparkling water), is that good for you? What else is there? If I made a sweet iced raspberry tea with a little raw sugar, is that okay?

Drink whatever you like. You don't have to give up diet pepsi or artificial sweeteners. It is good to try something new though.
    You could try doing infused waters. There are lots of combinations to try.
    https://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/fruit-infused-water-recipes/

I like unsweetened drinks like water and tea. I think sweetened fruit flavored teas are an abombination.