How to ACTUALLY boil an egg that peels

12346»

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    It does matter what eggs you use. The brown cage free eggs at my Kroger have membranes like iron, and the white ones have very fragile membranes. I assume it's just a chicken breed thing, but their brown eggs are even hard to crack when they're raw! Freshness does make a difference but it's not just that, since they are hard to peel even when old.

I get the best results steaming them in the Instant Pot, running under cold water in a bowl of ice, then peeling under cold running water.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I have no problems with the eggs that I buy peeling. None at all.
    But now I have switched to making them in the instant pot. I make the whole dozen at once, place back in the carton and into the fridge. Eat whenever, good like this for at least 2 weeks (never lasted longer than that).
    Method:
    eggs into instant pot on the steamer basket
    cup of water
    high pressure for 3-4 minutes
    quick release
    immediately into cold/ice water bath to cool

I also do mine in the Instant Pot but I do high pressure for 8-10 minutes (8 minutes for large eggs, 10 minutes for extra large or jumbo) because I want them hard boiled (no runny yolk). I can then use them in things like tuna salad, chicken salad, chopped on a regular salad, deviled eggs, egg salad, etc.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    I never had success with peeling boiled eggs. Until this year. I received a egg cooker as a gift. Not only does it cook the eggs fast, they peel perfectly.https://www.amazon.com/Dash-Rapid-Egg-Cooker-Scrambled/dp/B00DDXWFY0/ref=sr_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1520796891&sr=1-6&keywords=egg+cooker
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    After boiling egg for 8 to 10 minutes, rinse in cold water for a while.
  • crashdawg69
    crashdawg69 Posts: 1 Member
    Been feeling eggs for 30 years. Was a cook for ten years. If you put salt in the water before boiling , then after a 10 minute boil dump water out. Cover with cold water and peel as soon as you can handle them they will peel completely. Every time.
  • dgread53
    dgread53 Posts: 11 Member
    One secret to easy-peeling eggs is to use eggs that are at least two weeks old. A really fresh egg will get you into trouble! I get my eggs from a local farmer, so if I'm planning on making hard-boiled eggs, I try to remember to think ahead and tuck them away. The method that works best for me is to start with the eggs in cold water to which I've added a nice blob of white vinegar or a tablespoon of baking soda. Bring the water to a boil, cover, and remove from the heat and let sit for 15 minutes (a little more if your eggs are extra large or jumbo). Drain and run them under cold water and let sit in the cold water for a few minutes. This prevents the ugly green ring around the yolk. Then crack them gently with a little roll on the counter, and the egg shell should peel off easily under running cold water using the side of your thumb. Having said all this, nothing seems to work all the time!zv2groxxc7lz.jpg
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Been feeling eggs for 30 years. Was a cook for ten years. If you put salt in the water before boiling , then after a 10 minute boil dump water out. Cover with cold water and peel as soon as you can handle them they will peel completely. Every time.

Wow!! Another variation. What exactly does the salt do?
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member

Its the cold water. Not the salt.....lol
  • tramirez11114
    tramirez11114 Posts: 1 Member
    This method works really well for me. Bring water to a boil with eggs already in it. Covered. Once boiling boil for exactly six minutes. Immediately remove and stick in ice water for 5+ minutes. The yolks are very creamy and not dry.

For peeling; this is fail proof with older eggs. Never worked with fresh laid eggs for me;

Mason jar/glass jar add 1/4 cup water. Shake egg (one at a time), shell peels off in one piece most of the time. So easy. I peel two eggs in under a minute tops.
  • TonyB0588
    I had two good weeks, now suddenly a difficult one. This one was #5 of a 12 pack, so likely the same age as the 4 I used before it. Now I'm still not certain that fresh or stale makes the difference.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited March 2018
    A little dash of bicarbonate of soda in the water.

You’re welcome.
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    This method works really well for me.
    Mason jar/glass jar add 1/4 cup water. Shake egg (one at a time), shell peels off in one piece most of the time. So easy. I peel two eggs in under a minute tops.

Yes!!! I posted this method a while back... don't know if anyone tried it, but it works EVERY time for me!

Doesn't matter how you choose to boil them. Cool them off in cold/ice water until you can handle them, and start shaking!
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    I find peeling soon after cooking works best. Yes plunge into cold water, but only for long enough so you can touch them. Then roll the egg gently on counter top using your palm to crush it on all sides before peeling. I often peel them back in the cold water bowl they have been in briefly and it continues to help the cooling of the egg since you are peeling them sooner than you normally would. Once done, dry them on some paper towel and store in airtight container in fridge. I think if you are trying to store the cooked unpeeled eggs to be able to grab through the week, the problem is the membrane acts like a glue after a while making it tougher to peel clean (no evidence of this, just my thoughts on the matter) which is why I now peel immediately and cool once peeled.
  • bwalker71878
    bwalker71878 Posts: 1 Member
    Put eggs in a bowl of ice water for 5-10 minutes after boiling. Peels right off
  • anthonynaylor
    anthonynaylor Posts: 29 Member
    I find letting the eggs cool too much makes them harder to peel.

I tap the egg from every angle to get it cracked all over, run the egg under a stream of cold water and start peeling while trying to get under that membrane between egg and shell to help me.
  • TonyB0588
    Put eggs in a bowl of ice water for 5-10 minutes after boiling. Peels right off

I boil my egg to eat right away, and wouldn't want it so cold. So, definitely not so long in the cold water for me.