How do I talk my Mom off the "Sugar is Toxic" ledge?

Options

Replies

• Strongerxthanxyesterday
    Options
    I agree fruits are good.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »
    Fructose separated from the fruit is just like eating any other sugar, but that's completely different than eating fruit where the fructose is not separated. Straight sugar has zero nutrition, there's no healthy amount because it isn't nutritious.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Mom keeps seeing these types of articles in the Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/guides/smarterliving/how-to-stop-eating-sugar
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html

She also has a book on brain health with the same attitude. (I don't know the title off hand.)

I've started by asking her how many grams of added sugar she consumes per day. (I already know the answer is a lot less than the average American. For starters, she doesn't drink sweetened beverages.)

Now, I'd need more than "Lustig is a quack" or "Taubes is a quack." I'd need something reputable debunking their theories. (Not random blog posts.)

I've read here a lot that our bodies don't know the difference between sugar from fruit and sugar from added sugar - are there reputable sources for this?

BTW, she's not trying to lose weight and in fact struggles to stay above Underweight because she is very very active, especially for her age (80).

TIA

On fruit, fruit has vitamins/bioflavnoids/minerals and some fiber, than does refined sugar. Sugar are empty calories, devoid of healthy nutrients except for carbs.

You guys DO know that there's a minimum amount of calories your body needs, right? If you were only eating the nutrients your body needs, the essential fats and proteins, and carbs only from the most nutritious, green vegetables for their minerals and vitamins... you'd starve to death eventually because that's something like 800 calories.

But there's no reason to be getting those calories from simple sugars. Complex carbs, protein, and healthy fats are all better ways to meet those caloric needs than bags of skittles, although both options will do the job of keeping you alive.

Agree. Fruits are considered complex carbs. Do you agree that eating a few fruits can serve the purpose?

As for Skittles, might be fuel for Marshawn Lynch to go Beastmode. Or for aiding someone having a hypoglycemic episode. I limit my "sugar" intake, and limit high glycemic index foods.

Fruits are not complex carbs. And what is the reason for eating more protein and more fats after you've already met your needs? Just your subjective opinion that sugars are bad for you?

Just eating enough of something to meet your calorie needs, probably.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Brain health is a concern for a lot of older people. As a 61 year old, both of whose parents suffered from very late life dementia, I understand.

I also think sweets are quite possibly one of the best arguments for wishing to stay on the planet longer.

Watching this thread with interest :wink:

Oh and 80? I saw my mom changing her opinions, striving, becoming a more open and even more loving person, until alzheimer's stole her in her mid 90's. Hope I can do the same.

Her brother just replied to our email chain with a similar sentiment as the bolded so hopefully that will help :lol:

My grandfather had Alzheimer's so I understand her concern about brain health. I keep reminding her that he was a drinker and smoker, and she is not, (and has never been.)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
    If she is healthy and what she is doing is working just fine then just leave it alone.
    In these cases I believe you shouldn’t try to push your beliefs on others. Just let it be.

Did you read the thread? She's worried her mother isn't eating enough at 80, because she's very active.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Fructose separated from the fruit is just like eating any other sugar, but that's completely different than eating fruit where the fructose is not separated. Straight sugar has zero nutrition, there's no healthy amount because it isn't nutritious.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Mom keeps seeing these types of articles in the Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/guides/smarterliving/how-to-stop-eating-sugar
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html

She also has a book on brain health with the same attitude. (I don't know the title off hand.)

I've started by asking her how many grams of added sugar she consumes per day. (I already know the answer is a lot less than the average American. For starters, she doesn't drink sweetened beverages.)

Now, I'd need more than "Lustig is a quack" or "Taubes is a quack." I'd need something reputable debunking their theories. (Not random blog posts.)

I've read here a lot that our bodies don't know the difference between sugar from fruit and sugar from added sugar - are there reputable sources for this?

BTW, she's not trying to lose weight and in fact struggles to stay above Underweight because she is very very active, especially for her age (80).

TIA

On fruit, fruit has vitamins/bioflavnoids/minerals and some fiber, than does refined sugar. Sugar are empty calories, devoid of healthy nutrients except for carbs.

You guys DO know that there's a minimum amount of calories your body needs, right? If you were only eating the nutrients your body needs, the essential fats and proteins, and carbs only from the most nutritious, green vegetables for their minerals and vitamins... you'd starve to death eventually because that's something like 800 calories.

But there's no reason to be getting those calories from simple sugars. Complex carbs, protein, and healthy fats are all better ways to meet those caloric needs than bags of skittles, although both options will do the job of keeping you alive.

Agree. Fruits are considered complex carbs. Do you agree that eating a few fruits can serve the purpose?

As for Skittles, might be fuel for Marshawn Lynch to go Beastmode. Or for aiding someone having a hypoglycemic episode. I limit my "sugar" intake, and limit high glycemic index foods.

What purpose? Fruits typically don't have that many calories (100-200), so they might not be the best way to raise caloric intake and prevent someone from being underweight, but they are a great way to get vitamins and satisfy a sweet tooth.

Exactly. I usually have 2-3 fruits a day. Veggies I am working at increasing (never been a fan, but since they are good for me I know to include some veggies.)

And as for the rest of my carb intake, it is usually things like whole grain breads, brown rice, double fiber english muffins, steamed potatoes, beans, chilis.

As for fats/oils, I usually use extra virgin cold pressed olive oil.

My proteins come from meats, poultry/eggs, fish, cheese, Greek yogurt.

I have found out from my workouts in the pool, that I need to be eating complex carbs along with the other macros, or I will "bonk". So I eat about 2 hrs before my workouts. I drink fluids throughout my workout also.

And after a tough longer swim, I may eat a protein bar along with fluids for rehydration.

This is what works for me right now. I let MFP app help guide my food choices/intake.

Everybody is different though, and each person using mfp needs to find a healthy way to make MFP app work for them.