How do I talk my Mom off the "Sugar is Toxic" ledge?

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Just nod, say ah ha... and as you walk away, roll your eyes :smiley: each to their own, let her have her own notions, you do you :smiley:
  • xhunter561
    xhunter561 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    xhunter561 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You didn’t read the article did you?

"A woman nearly dies from Scurvy from eliminating all fruit from her diet." this is what i am referring to. i am replying on the bases that you seem to think that eliminating all fruit = Scurvy. I am assuming that just cause the doctors seemed to think it was from the article was ok though but they could get to the point faster more than having so much filler words.

a first sign she wasn't eating much nutrition or varied nutrition was the statement that she seemed to be pledge with so much ill health and due to that her body could not heal. that was on her for not doing some research before cutting fruits because if you don't have another food that can back the nutrition your screwed either way. simply eating a little raw liver every so often even if its once a week could have supplemented the v- c she needed. but if not from that she could have supplemented if she had to. You always need to keep your vitamins and minerals in consideration when removing a food group. that's why i like MFP because it gives a good indication on where your at when it comes to the vitamins and minerals.

What are you doing? This isn’t about you. I’m sorry @kshama2001 Having elderly parents is sometimes tough. Hugs

? i was talking about her reply based on her article she showed.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    This is why we can't have nice things :disappointed:

@kshama2001 I hope your mom moves past this and stays healthy and active, and I'm glad you are willing to talk honestly with her about her health and habits. Good luck!

Yup, this.

Amazing how many people didn't read what kshama actually wrote.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    She’s 80 and lean, but not underweight. I’d say she’s got it figured out and let her be.

Good point. She most likely buried many of her high school peers 15-20 years ago who died of complications associated with excess weight.

OP, I would just encourage her to eat enough calories to maintain a reasonable weight. There may be a bit of vanity involved. My 88 YO MIL says she wants to get rid of her belly. She's not happy with her appearance. She is not overweight and the "belly" is most likely due to several abdominal surgeries years ago when the techniques weren't quite as good.

She isn't really working very hard to get rid of her "belly" but it gives her something to think about.