How do I talk my Mom off the "Sugar is Toxic" ledge?

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    MGee65 wrote: »
    I have just joined a website called diet doctor, the doctor is from sweden, and it recommends a Low Carb, High Fat meal plan and to loose weight and states to remove most sugars for loosing weight. Your mum is in the complete opposite wanting to gain or retain weight. I know there are special protein drinks in poppers that are for seniors special dietary needs. Maybe she would enjoy these the come in juice or milk flavours. They are made to boost weight in seniors if needed.

shows you how to make homemade products and sauces with no sugar, It is surprising now that I look on the products at the supermarket how many processed foods contain quite a high amount of sugar per serving.

Can you give some examples of these processed foods that have high amounts of sugar that you were surprised by, and what that amount was?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MGee65 wrote: »
    I have just joined a website called diet doctor, the doctor is from sweden, and it recommends a Low Carb, High Fat meal plan and to loose weight and states to remove most sugars for loosing weight.

Yes, Diet Doctor is one of the well-known ketoevangelist sites, although I don't personally think it has much credibility. Not sure how it's helpful for OP or her mother, as it basically spreads the idea that carbs are to be avoided -- hardly promoting not stressing about eating fruit, etc.
    I know there are special protein drinks in poppers that are for seniors special dietary needs. Maybe she would enjoy these the come in juice or milk flavours. They are made to boost weight in seniors if needed.

It sounds like her mom wouldn't have an issue if could just eat her normal healthful diet without stress, and that her mom also isn't one for lots of processed stuff, which of course those special drinks for seniors are.

(I suspect you mean something like Ensure, which is not senior specific, but when my grandmother was having trouble keeping weight on -- because she was depressed and had some eating issues -- it was recommended that she consume them.)
    It is surprising now that I look on the products at the supermarket how many processed foods contain quite a high amount of sugar per serving.

Some do, some don't, but it's clear from the thread that OP's mom never consumed much of this kind of stuff.

(Maybe I'm weird, but as discussed recently in another thread none of the processed foods I eat regularly have much or any added sugar. Well, except for the ice cream and occasional chocolate (I'm currently a fan of Chocolove Extreme 88%), but that would be expected, no?)
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    I missed something, I think. Is the OP's mother cutting out all sugar including fruit or just added granulated sugar? If she's cutting out fruit, that's not good, but I didn't read that.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I am both worried that 1. she will end up not eating enough and 2. that she is unnecessarily stressed, because she is already a very healthy eater.

She has since clarified that it's not just added sugar she wants to cut down on, but sugar from fruits, etc. I will let her know that berries are lower sugar fruits.

I know that you got this, so I am saying it for others who seemed to have missed this:
    * She never ate a lot of added sugar to start with, so reducing sugar will necessarily come out of healthy foods like fruits.
    * And this is new, so I'm not trying to change an 80 year old set in her ways, but someone recently succumbing to the current sugar alarmism, which is not applicable to her natural healthy eating habits.

She has been reading "that there is a connection between sugar and insulin resistance and brain cells and Alzheimer's". Her goal is to get down to 25 g sugar total (total meaning including naturally occurring sugars.)

She dropped into Underweight when she was following the suggestions in Dropping Acid: The Reflux Diet Cookbook & Cure. This did help her silent reflux - she no longer sounds like she has hairballs all the time. I think she went all out for a while and then pruned it back to just a few suggestions.

She will probably do the same thing with the sugar thing - jump on this bandwagon full force for a while, and then taper off to something more reasonable.

Maybe I am stressing more than she is :smiley:

Ok. Yes I did miss that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My great Aunt was very similar. She stayed in her home well in to her eighties, volunteered costuming old dolls for the local museum, and mowed her own lawn. She had a little ramp to push the mower up on to her porch with little effort.

Regarding Alzheimer’s I found this Ted talk most instructive.

https://www.ted.com/talks/alanna_shaikh_how_i_m_preparing_to_get_alzheimer_s/up-next
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Okay, I think your thread would have gone better if you said, "80 YO mother still uses a chainsaw. How do I get her to stop?" :astonished:

I'm sure that's less controversial than sugar!

I'm not worried about the chainsaw, though, just ladders and food fads leading to undereating :lol:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My great Aunt was very similar. She stayed in her home well in to her eighties, volunteered costuming old dolls for the local museum, and mowed her own lawn. She had a little ramp to push the mower up on to her porch with little effort.

Regarding Alzheimer’s I found this Ted talk most instructive.

https://www.ted.com/talks/alanna_shaikh_how_i_m_preparing_to_get_alzheimer_s/up-next

Thanks!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    2aycocks wrote: »
    Refined sugar is nothing but *kitten* in your body. Watch a few Netflix videos about sugar. Try using stevia and products with stevia instead.

Lots of good fiction on Netflix. Those sugar "documentaries" are an example of the bad fiction on Netflix.

I liked Armageddon.

Not really, it was two thumbs down. But fiction it was.