How do I talk my Mom off the "Sugar is Toxic" ledge?

Options

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Unless it's causing her (or you) significant stress, I'd just let it go. You gotta pick your battles.

It's causing significant stress.,
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    2aycocks wrote: »
    Refined sugar is nothing but *kitten* in your body. Watch a few Netflix videos about sugar. Try using stevia and products with stevia instead.

Stevia is nasty. Stuff always tastes bitter to me and ruins pretty much anything it's put into.

So why should I replace refined sugar (the little bit I use) for something I loath?

A little bit of sugar isn't going to hurt you. Everything in moderation.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Refined sugar is nothing but *kitten* in your body. Watch a few Netflix videos about sugar. Try using stevia and products with stevia instead.

Stevia is nasty. Stuff always tastes bitter to me and ruins pretty much anything it's put into.

So why should I replace refined sugar (the little bit I use) for something I loath?

That's not what your statement sounded like.

Sugar is nothing bad. Not matter the source. Your brain and red blood cells need sugar (in it's most basic form of glucose) to function.

Yes excess can be bad since it usually leads to weight gain. But in and off itself sugar is nothing to be afraid off. Documentaries like the ones you are recommending on Netflix and articles like the ones the OP's mother is reading are are actually causing problems for people who then go out of their way to avoid ALL sugar, even the sugar naturally occuring in things like fruit.

Or is fruit bad for you too?
  • 2aycocks
    edited March 2018
    Options

That's not what your statement sounded like.

Sugar is nothing bad. Not matter the source. Your brain and red blood cells need sugar (in it's most basic form of glucose) to function.

Yes excess can be bad since it usually leads to weight gain. But in and off itself sugar is nothing to be afraid off. Documentaries like the ones you are recommending on Netflix and articles like the ones the OP's mother is reading are are actually causing problems for people who then go out of their way to avoid ALL sugar, even the sugar naturally occuring in things like fruit.

Or is fruit bad for you too?

Lololol!
  • 2aycocks
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Well thank you everyone for correcting me on my first post ever in community. I can see this is going to be fun!

You have 200+ posts?

Really? Must have been from a few years ago. I've been off here for a while. Thanks for checking on that for me.
  • davidylin04
    davidylin04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There's a terminology issue here. Substances like water and oxygen are toxic at certain concentrations/doses. Sugar sure can be toxic - pretty sure you'll die if you consume a few thousand grams in an hour.