My Weightloss Makes People Angry...& That Makes me Happy! :-D

Replies

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    I've never been obese, but I've always been the "chubby" friend and friends would make seemingly harmless comments that sometimes hurt my feelings about my weight. I know of at least one who is bothered by my weightloss and she is probably the most insecure of my group of friends. She's very skinny, and even if I worked my *kitten* off I would never look like her since she's 6' tall and I'm 5' :lol: but she seems very threatened by everything and has started making more comments about my "chubbiness" as if she hopes the more she says about it the more likely it is I'll put the weight back on...
  • DylsGrandma
    DylsGrandma Posts: 69 Member
    Sounds to me like they are jealous of you. I applaud you for your weight loss success! You would think people would be more supportive. We are all proud of you! <3
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    I lost a friend over my weight loss. She was always commenting, telling me to slow down, I was going to burn myself out. Eventually she was indeed correct, I did, but her negativity really pushed me to it. If she'd just kept her thoughts to herself instead of berating me with them daily I might have listened. This time I really hope people keep their opinions to themselves.

I get it, people either mean well or don't like being confronted with the fact that they also need to make some changes. I just wouldn't comment on a friend's weight and don't understand why people do it at all. It's just sooooooooo personal and such a private struggle.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    it goes back to the old saying " opinions are like A&&H##les everyone has one". You have to decide for yourself what matters and that its really up to you how you look and or feel in your own skin. I know now that i have such an appreciation for people that have gone through the hell of losing lots of weight and what they learn about themselves while doing it....nuff said..:)
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    ForMe2No wrote: »
    Happens to me all the time now. I don't let it get to me. I don't think all of them are jealous. I think some of them are jealous, some are a little envious, some are genuinely happy for you and simply saying you look good right where you are (their opinion) and some think you look/or are sick and don't want to actually say you look sick. Truth is sometimes I see myself and feel I look a little sick or strange or funny. I'm not finished I'm still considered overweight for my height so I want to lose about 25 more pounds or so but I'm also strength training and toning so I think I understand where they are coming from. So the more time that passes the more I feel like they will adjust to my new body just like I need time to adjust to it. Especially if you have lost a lot of weight in a fairly short time.

Also, personally, I feel I can tell the comments that are coming out of each category. At the end of the day I am a much happier person and so most of the negative comments just don't even give me pause to respond.

I agree with the majority of that. I have not really had any negative comments, except my mom told me I am starting to look like a bobble head and that I am turning into one of those people who are grouchy when they lose weight because they are hungry. I know she loves me and I do not pay her any attention. I laugh when people say I am skinny enough or that I do not need to lose any more weight. I could lose 100 more lbs and I would not be close to "skinny". I have learned to take it all in stride and not internalize any negativity.
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    I strongly believe in eye-for-an-eye.

I used to have a co-worker who was morbidly obese (maybe 500 pounds) and she was notorious for making these flippant back-handed comments.

One day she brought a plant into my office for decoration because she didn't have room in her cubicle. I *kitten* hate plants in my office (because: gnats). As she sets it down, she goes "there, you're welcome, now you have something you can snack on, Twig".

The next day she had Costco-sized Crisco on her desk. The post-it read, "as do you, General Sherman".

Needless to say, the plant was removed; she avoided me and never let me hear her rude remarks about people and their size.

Awesome! Maybe I should try something like this! :D
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    could be jealous, you never know. Positive changes are hard - you've successfully made one - they didn't. Maybe it's that?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Thread is 2 years old
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Thread is 2 years old

Well, slap me silly and call me Helen.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    utahjulia wrote: »
    Thread is 2 years old

Well, slap me silly and call me Helen.

It's OK. I really liked your rejoiner--I may have to steal it!
  • amluckhurst
    amluckhurst Posts: 40 Member
    Well done for sticking to your regime. I'm very impressed!
    I guess some people may be genuinely concerned about your health. But others perhaps jealous or resentful.
    The energy which comes with their objections will guide you to the response.
    I'm not sure telling someone they need to lose weight will help, you don't want to be like them right....?
    A killer smile would do the trick, voice how happy your are, how confident you feel, how pleased with your achievements. Perhaps tell them that people also call you an inspiration. I'm inspired by you.
    Keep strong and well. Health is a major life foundation, treasure it.
  • rcarroll3
    rcarroll3 Posts: 2 Member
    My daughter dealt with this when she got down to a sz 12 from sz 22. It really bothered her that people kept telling her she was too skinny, even though they were sz. 4.

• Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    rcarroll3 wrote: »
    My daughter dealt with this when she got down to a sz 12 from sz 22. It really bothered her that people kept telling her she was too skinny, even though they were sz. 4.

Do you think it could be that they enjoyed being smaller than her? In my circle, I used to be the heaviest. Now i'm the smallest. The girl who used to be the smallest became super competitive & would make backhanded comments all the time.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    rcarroll3 wrote: »

Do you think it could be that they enjoyed being smaller than her? In my circle, I used to be the heaviest. Now i'm the smallest. The girl who used to be the smallest became super competitive & would make backhanded comments all the time.

These posts go back for 2 years and am curious Cute....what is your total weight loss thus far? How are others feeling now to this point?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!