Runners: what are your "must haves"?

Options

Replies

• MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question as I am a complete newbie here and would love to know such things as well! :flowerforyou:
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Must list of "must haves" is shorter than most.

For me the most important thing is proper clothing in order to stay comfortable. This applies much more in winter. The wicking and windproof materials are worth thier weight in gold.

After that just give me some fresh air!

For long runs or hot runs, a good water belt is also important. I have an amphipod.
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Bump, need ideas on what to buy with my next salary :)
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    my must haves for race day are fairly simple (and have probably all been mentioned above)

1. proper fitting running shoes (as an overpronater i wear brooks adrenaline)
    2. proper clothing (moisture wicking bra, socks, tank, etc and proper outer layers and hat when necessary)
    3. recently added - sweatband/running band - the sweat in my eyes has started to really annoy me
    4. jelly beans - for races longer than 10mi
    5. garmin forerunner. sadly, i cannot run without that or my phone app. i'm obsessed with pace.

when training i add
    5. icy water - only need a sip or two to refresh and it eliminates the stitch in my side when i drink too much
    6. philips shs5200 headphones - best running headphones i've found so far. i run to music when training, but on race day i prefer to take in all the sounds around me, just heightens the rush!
  • jforddesign
    jforddesign Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Definately a garmin forerunner 405... its so liberating to be freed from set running routes. Good fitting sunglasses are another must. I highly recommend Oakely M-Frames with vented lenses. I also enjoy running with a hydration belt with a single water bottle for my 4-6 mile daily runs.

And... GOOD RUNNING SOCKS! I used to have a problem with my feet going numb after about 5 miles but since I use thicker New Balance socks, my feet feel great! I never use those paper thin wicking running socks for anything other than around the house wear now!
  • ineednapkin
    Options
    -body glide for my thighs and actually around the top of my sports bra
    -moisture wicking shirts and socks
    -compression shorts (especially for long runs!)
    -good running shoes
    -I actually carry a water bottle when I am training but am looking into a fuel belt
    -My Garmin Forerunner 305 or my phone
    -my awesome hat or ChicaBand
    -Clif Shot Bloks!
    -my running buddy, my Dad! :D
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lucky1304
    lucky1304 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My must-haves?

First, LOVE the YURbuds. If you haven't tried them yet, I highly recommend them. And this is from someone who couldn't run with ear buds because they always fell out. I've run miles and miles w/ my YURbuds not falling out.

My others:
    My Mizuno Wave Inspires
    Ice baths are a yes when I'm running long distances
    My iPod Nano
    Run Like a Mother (great book)
    Garmin 305 (it's my husband's and I used to hate it b/c it's so bulky, but I can't run without it now)
    HRM
    Running skirt w/ pockets (pockets are so essential)
    Good running hat (love the one I got from Athleta)
    Moving Comfort jog bras

Oh also, Nuun. Electrolyte replacement (like Gatorade) without the calories. I've tried the lemon-line and the kona cola. Good stuff.

And Running Warehouse. That site rocks for cheap running gear.
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    List of important items:
    1 - I believe in learning from the experts so I bought two books on running. "Marathons for Mortals" and Runners World "Road Racing". Extremely helpful.
    2 - Runners World forums. Great source of running info.
    3 - Fitted shoe inserts and properly fitted shoes. No way I could have started running with my old sneakers.

4 - A Garmin Forerunner 305 and Garmin Training Center. Impeachable information about my HR and an application that helps me understand my conditioning level.
    5 - Wicking clothes (socks, shirt, and sun visor). I did cotton in the Army and it's horrible. Get the right gear and make it easier to succeed.
    6 - Camelbak and Nathan water belt. I'm training for a half marathon on August 21 and the California International Marathon in December. The Nathan is 2 water + 2 gel containers so it's OK for runs < 10 miles. Over that I need the Camelbak.

7 - Changed attitude toward diet. When I was losing weight, I was eating 800 to 1k net cals/day. I've upped my diet to 1750 net but am having a hard time hitting that. The most important change for me was to change my protein/carbs/fat from 50/25/25 to 25/50/25. I'm still not doing it right. The big change for me is that this is now less "eating" and more of "putting enough carbs in my body". And I'm not doing that very well.
    8 - homemade replenisher that's a Gatorade clone
    9 - Gu

10 - "Peas" - ice packs for knees
    http://tinyurl.com/29btra8
    11 - A foam roller.
    12 - A training plan. I use the SmartCoach application from Runners World on my iPhone. It's barebones but it works. I'd love to see an iPhone app for a half or a marathon that's got the features of C25k.
  • jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    My list for what its worth;

1. Garmin Forerunner 305
    2. tech material cloths (socks, shorts, shirt)
    3. Decent sunglasses that don't slide(currently using Ryders)
    4. Decent sun screen
    5. Vaseline for the nipples
    6. Duct tape for the heels to reduce blistering (yup! Red Green Special)
    7. Ipod for some tunes
    8. Running Cap
    9. Decent shoes or my Vibram KSO's
    10. Camera... if you enjoy the run... you may as well document it.
    11. Fanny pack to hold the extra's in.
    12. Gu Chomps, Granola Bars etc for extra fuel
    13. Camelbak for the really long runs where there aren't water stations.
    14. Cell phone... cuz you never know when you might have issues
    15. Nice weather (optional)
  • 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options
    Water

Just sayin.
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    just my legs and an ipod :)
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I'm gearing up for my first half as well.

Enjoyed hearing the feedback.

For a fuel belt...how do you keep your water cold? Or do you not mind it warm?
  • alisonbank
    alisonbank Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump to see responses.
  • kendradl
    kendradl Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Loving all the posts and people's suggestions - would love to know what brand, type of pant all the women out there are wearing? I currently am working with a pair of fitted cotton pants that I love :love: but they are getting old and starting to wear. So I am in need of a new pair and would love some suggestions. :happy:
  • bcbman
    bcbman Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Bump, so I can find this later. I am new to running as well. I have done a few 5k's and a Warrior Dash (but did not run the whole things). So I am currently doing C25k, then will do B210k and so on.