Resturants that do not list calories

Options

Replies

• jessicalynch817
    jessicalynch817 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Muana1005 wrote: »
    Are you in the States? If so I think it's best to over-estimate. Italian pizzas are often paper thin. Try 1000?

Yes I am in the states. I'm confused what you mean by 1000 calories. Basically in a large pizza there are 24 square pieces of pizza. Probably about 2 inch squares. The place that serves pizza that's similar in size says each slice of cheese is 111 calories. Does that sound accurate!?
  • tigerblood6
    tigerblood6 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Mostly local food here doesnt have calorie stated on their food. I am from Malaysia
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't go to restaurants that have calories listed because I don't like chains. Once you get used to logging accurately you can guesstimate well.

Slices of pizza rarely ever have 111 calories. I log mine as 350+
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I just use a similar food from another restaurant.

This ^
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    1) you could use the same item from another source
    2) you could estimate the major components of the food in question and log those. So for pizza--crust/bread, cheese, tomatoes, olive oil, sugar (sometimes added to sauce), vinegar (likewise), other toppings. Spices are usually low enough in calories compared to other components that you can neglect them.
  • jessicalynch817
    jessicalynch817 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I don't go to restaurants that have calories listed because I don't like chains. Once you get used to logging accurately you can guesstimate well.

This pizza is like half the size of normal pizza because it is square, not like Pizza Hut or basically anywhere else. There is a chain restaurant around here that serves square pizza and they list it at 111 calories. I would say like 2 slices of their pizza would fit into one slice of Pizza Hut pizza.
  • nefeli89
    nefeli89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have this issue in my country, (Greece) I haven't seen any single restaurant so far, cheap or expensive, that lists the calories. It's frustrating! I use to log my food and Fitnesspal helps me to guess my calorie intake. I don't think I am always right, although I don't think I am too far up or far down from the actual calorie amount of each food.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The city I live in has many "Mom and Pop"/local-indie restaurants and NONE of them have any nutrition information. I limit how often I go to these places because logging can be difficult/very inaccurate. I try to find something close on MFP and give some sort of estimate (I aim for the high side because I would rather overestimate than under).
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

This pizza is like half the size of normal pizza because it is square, not like Pizza Hut or basically anywhere else. There is a chain restaurant around here that serves square pizza and they list it at 111 calories. I would say like 2 slices of their pizza would fit into one slice of Pizza Hut pizza.

Gotcha. Still. I bet just the crust is 100 calories.
  • Silinde
    Silinde Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Where I live (BE), pizza in a take away or restaurant (I'm not talking about chains, those pizza's are probably made in a factory and distributed around) is made with a slice of dough, then tomato sauce, then cheese, then the toppings you asked for, then another layer of cheese and herbs. I've seen them being made lots of times. :)
    Cheese pizza would indeed contain even more cheese than the other kinds, because it's supposed to contain 4 different kinds of cheese of which one "fungus cheese" (sorry, English is not my mother tongue). Often the "fungus cheese" is left off and it's called "3-cheese" pizza. But it'll still contain 3 cups of extra cheese compared to normal pizza. Cheese and meat (salami, sausage, ...) make for most of the calories.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    yes, I just use another similar type of restaurant
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. And if there are a few options for the item and there's a huge discrepancy when it comes to calorie count, I try to either pick the choice in the middle or really think about how greasy the food was...if it felt really heavy I pick the option with the highest calories, and if it felt pretty dry, I go for the lower one.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I had a slice of kosher vegetarian sorta Hawaiian pizza (veggie pepperoni instead of veggie ham) the other day. This meant 1) Store not part of a chain 2) Vegetarian pepperoni has a different nutritional profile from actual ham. I used a "generic" cheese pizza listing 2) I could count the slices of veggie pepperoni and I know the brand they use; it was in the database. 3) I'm very bad at eyeballing measurements, but I erred on the side of caution and guesstimated 1/4 cup of pineapple tidbits; it was probably more like 1/2 to 3/4 of that, but I wasn't going to tear the stuff off, measure it, and stick it back on.

This place likes to experiment a bit with toppings. I've seen french fry, vegetarian shawarma, and macaroni pizza. I avoid those and mostly stick to non-starchy veg or stuff where I can get a decent idea of the amount of topping on a slice. (There was a time when Hubby called from the store and let me know what slices they had ready, I decided to try "cauliflower" and it was only when he got home that I realized it was breaded cauliflower. But... it wasn't more than 1/2 a cup of it so I guessed and moved on.)
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Agree with what other people said. I also do this with pot luck meals b/c we have them at least once a month and I can't very well ask each person to list the nutritional information in their side dish - although they are very good about saying if there are nuts, mushrooms or other things that people might see as a problem.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Options
    Nah, I'd rather eat where I want to eat - or where other people I am eating with have decided on - that specifically pick a place just because it has its nutritional info on an app.

The guestimating based on similar foods method works well enough OP
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,715 MFP Moderator
    Options

If you feel like the chain restaurant's numbers are too low, you could always log half a slice of Pizza Hut since you think two of the local place would equal one PH. :)
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I need help!

Every Tuesday my dad likes to go to this little hole in the wall place for half price pizza. Now, I try to only go once a month because if I do not I feel guilty, however this place does not list the calories in their food. I was wondering if anybody else here has run into the same issue..

Do you just use a similar food from another resturant? For example this place serves square pizza, as does a popular chain called Ledo's (popular in MD/DC/VA) should I just use their calories?

Thanks in advanced for your help! Feel free to add me! :)

Just eat one slice.

That's probably in the range of 300-500 calories.

Drink only water.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I usually try to find something that is as similar as possible to what I'm having, even if it's in another restaurant
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,595 Member
    Options
    While we all know that typical single pizza slices are relatively large and range from 200 to sometimes a good 500 Cal for a single slice, the OP has already explained that her slices are, in her view, quite small.

Hence the lower caloric value.

It is a pizza place! Take a couple of slices home. Weight them. Deconstruct them. Domino's has a pizza calculator with weights giving you an idea of where pizza calories come from. Frozen pizzas exist by the dozens. Some are thinner crust. Some thicker. Weight something of similar shake and consistency as your pizza place.

Then either make a meal or recipe entry, or log as the something similar.

This would be more worthwhile to do if this is a frequent occurrence.

If the whole thing is very occasional what you're already doing is good enough!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    I don't just eat at a particular restaurant because it has the nutritional information; that would be too limiting for me. I do it for the menu, ambiance, setting and/or because I ate there before and I like what the restaurant serves. I don't eat alone either, so I respect my husband's or friends choices too.

I don't bother logging because I never guesstimate anything. Not worthy to me the trouble of looking and finding something in the MFP database that I know that it would be wrong.