Keto Diet

Options
vshewy
vshewy Posts: 11 Member
So I'm finally coming back to myfitnesspal. I have had a lot of challenges the last couple years and my health has fallen by the wayside. My diabetes is out of control so I'm starting on the Keto diet tomorrow. I just need to get a few more supplies in and I'm ready to go. I know it won't be easy so I need all the success and inspiration stories I can get. I did the Wio Diet a couple years ago and it's pretty much the same thing. I know it will be hard since I have a huge sweet tooth and don't really like veggies. Please send determination and magic fairy dust my way!

Replies

• duffboysmom
    duffboysmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started the Keto diet myself. Feel free to add me and we can encourage each other!
  • traelynne4
    traelynne4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend the best way to get started on a keto diet?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    niyaxxo wrote: »
    traelynne4 wrote: »

i start my keto usually with a day of fasting. this helps my body go in starvation mode faster and when i start eating keto friendly food my body will start to switch to ketosis much faster. start small with the first couple of days at 50 grams of carbs then 30 and 25 until you are at 15 or even 10grams ! this diet is an investment so the best quality makes a difference. switch to omega 3 eggs is you can financially substitute, prep your meals so you do get sick of cooking 24/7, and for the love of god dontttttttttt bing snack. portion portion portion. stop eat after 8 (but if you do make sure to stay up at least 4 hours after you eat). if you like sugar, INVEST IN STEVIA or a natural sugars without carbs. and don’t forget to make some keto snacks and deserts to get rid of ur cravings and sweet tooth !

Starvation mode isn't what you think it is...........
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/761810/the-starvation-mode-myth-again/p1
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    niyaxxo wrote: »
    traelynne4 wrote: »

i start my keto usually with a day of fasting. this helps my body go in starvation mode faster and when i start eating keto friendly food my body will start to switch to ketosis much faster. start small with the first couple of days at 50 grams of carbs then 30 and 25 until you are at 15 or even 10grams ! this diet is an investment so the best quality makes a difference. switch to omega 3 eggs is you can financially substitute, prep your meals so you do get sick of cooking 24/7, and for the love of god dontttttttttt bing snack. portion portion portion. stop eat after 8 (but if you do make sure to stay up at least 4 hours after you eat). if you like sugar, INVEST IN STEVIA or a natural sugars without carbs. and don’t forget to make some keto snacks and deserts to get rid of ur cravings and sweet tooth !

As if keto weren't hard enough, let's add a bunch more rules!

A healthy body doesn't care how soon you sleep after your last meal. Someone with acid reflux may need to wait an hour or two; someone with diabetes (such as OP) may benefit from a snack just before bed.

@vshewy, are you on insulin? If so, make sure you discuss dosing with your care team.

I am not sure what things you need to be able to start tomorrow. Keto isn't that complex, you don't need anything fancy to get started, unless you only keep bread in the house.
  • vshewy
    vshewy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm on insulin. I have a friend who has done Keto for about 7 months and she's lost almost 100 pounds! To get started I needed to buy groceries so I could make shakes, actually get some veggies in my house, get rid of all the junk food and just get my mind set that I could do this.
  • crazybabyred
    crazybabyred Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just started Keto 4 days ago. I am also a diabetic and my sugars have gotten way out of control, even on Levemir and Humalog insulin. Today is the first day I woke up and checked my fasting sugar and it was under 300!! Apparently the low carb approach is helping. Support is always nice to have - feel free to add me!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    The Low Carber Daily and Keto MFP groups will be able to offer smart support. There is a number of low carbers in those groups using the diet to reverse T2D.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

For ketosis, if you are not a vegetarian, the easiest thing to base your diet around is animal products: meat, seafood, full fat dairy like cheese, and eggs. Add some veggies or berries or very small portions of starches to that if you wish, but lots of veggies (or shakes) are not needed unless that is a preference.

Keep an eye on your insulin and BG. You may need less within days of going keto. Be careful not to overmedicate yourself to a low.

And good luck! :)