Silly question

Options
This is a silly question so please bare with me. Can I tone up while eating 260 calories of ice cream daily if the rest of my diet is clean, I eat 1g protein/pound and weightlift 4 times a week while eating at maintenance?

I love ice cream and fit it into my CICO as I walk a long distance to work which buys me the additional calories. Just wondering if I have to eat really clean to tone up.

Replies

• keithkob000
    keithkob000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is a silly question so please bare with me. Can I tone up while eating 260 calories of ice cream daily if the rest of my diet is clean, I eat 1g protein/pound and weightlift 4 times a week while eating at maintenance?

I love ice cream and fit it into my CICO as I walk a long distance to work which buys me the additional calories. Just wondering if I have to eat really clean to tone up.

my too
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    If I had to eat all my calories in "clean" foods I'd be bloated and feeling awful. I consider myself pretty fit, cut, lean etc.. and I enjoy my fair share of ice cream (pretty much everyday, whether i'm bulking, cutting, maintaining) but the portion sizes vary depending on how many calories I have.

My hero!!!

• smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I see someone doesn't follow the Rock on insta. His cheat meals are truly epic and anything but clean.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Of course you can eat ice cream and still tone up. Its about fitting it into your daily maintenance calories.
    The 'toning up' happens when you lift heavy things :smiley:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Whenever you are tempted to stress about any food, think about it like this: would you stress about the effect of milk, grass-fed butter, and dried fruits on toning up? That's analogous to dairy cream, dairy fat, and sugar. Ice cream is not nutritionally vacant. It can be high in calories because it's high in fat, but if you control for that with appropriate portions there shouldn't be a problem.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options

Here's what some "uber fit" people eat.....
    http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/this-is-what-you-have-to-eat-to-compete-in-the-tour-de-france-182775[/quote]

Carbs, carbs, carbs and more carbs...I love it!!!
    Except that I would need to be WAY more active for this to work for me :D

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Ice cream is just a food, it has calories and nutrition.
    Whatever makes up the remainder of your diet also has calories and nutrition.

As long as you have an overall healthy diet in terms of overall calories and nutrition what impact does any single food have?

Really don't get why you would exclude foods based on their colour! If something tastes good and has a good nutritional profile why does the colour matter?

It's great that you have improved your diet but you don't need to be obsessive and restrictive about it, you are allowed to enjoy your food - it's so much more than just fuel.

Here's what some "uber fit" people eat.....
    http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/this-is-what-you-have-to-eat-to-compete-in-the-tour-de-france-182775

You do know these guys arent fit right? Ask them to lift, ask them to go for a run... will they do well? Nope. Different muscles and different idea of fit :)

Well I guess you could interpret fitness as being fit for a particular sport and apply that to darts players or sumo wrestlers and make a case they are ultra fit.......... Hmmm. :wink:

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »
    I see someone doesn't follow the Rock on insta. His cheat meals are truly epic and anything but clean.

Right?!? The amazing towering stacks of pancakes! I wish!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    So you're trying to recomp at maintenance calories and asking if you can eat ice cream? If you're training properly with a progressive overload and getting adequate protein, yes.

What is eating clean? Just, no.

Thanks. I joined in 2018 so just learning my way through. Lost about 18 pounds and now I am skinny fat and need to focus on recomp.

I have always heard about Uber fit people (i.e the rock) getting cut by never eating candy, pastries, ice cream, etc so I have been curious if I need to become that crazy to be toned. I have cleaned up my diet - no eating out, limited salt, limited white carbs, tons of fruits, etc but ice cream is the love of my food life and I can’t give it up.

Glad to hear that I don’t have to.

IF you want to look like the rock, you've got to roid like the rock. And yes, when cutting that last few % of BF to look like that for 10 seconds of screen time, what you eat matters.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    OP - eat ice cream. But here’s what saved my life....protein ice cream fluff. A giant bowl is 120 cals and there are endless flavors limited only by your imagination.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    OP - eat ice cream. But here’s what saved my life....protein ice cream fluff. A giant bowl is 120 cals and there are endless flavors limited only by your imagination.

lol that sounds like a protein fluff ad
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    Okay ... just googled Protein Fluff ... I gotta go!