Unhealthy/Gross foods growing up

Options

Replies

• 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I just remembered this. When I was a kid, my grandmother would make hog brains and eggs. I ate it! She would also make souse, which was basically hog head cheese. They didn't waste any of the pig.
  • sophia162
    sophia162 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    firlena227 wrote: »
    Can't believe no one's mentioned raw cake mix yet... sometimes my sister and I used to eat so much of the mix there wasn't really anything left to bake with! I'd 100% do the same thing now too though.... :)

Ahh, yes, that is hands down the best (and most brutal, calorie-wise and macro-wise) indulgence. Raw cake batter and cookie dough are the one kids' food I still (and probably always will) enjoy :P
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Can't believe no one's mentioned raw cake mix yet... sometimes my sister and I used to eat so much of the mix there wasn't really anything left to bake with! I'd 100% do the same thing now too though.... :)

Do you mean the dry cake mix or cake batter? The first one frightens me a little ;)
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options

My dad would make a marble crumble cake sort of thing every year for my bday. It was basically one box of vanilla cake mix made per instructions on the box, and then take a box of dry chocolate cake mix and layer it in between the vanilla batter, swirl with a spoon. The result was a marble cake with this sort of crumbly texture like what you would find on coffee cake or streusel topping. I wonder if it would taste as good as I remember?? Maybe I'll ask him to make it for my 31st 29th bday. :lol:
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Bread balls! Squish up a piece of white sandwich bread into a little ball and eat it. As kids we thought they were great!

^Yes! Sometimes we would squish them into cubes, and see who could me the best shaped square.
  • HappyKat5
    HappyKat5 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I ate this at least 3-4 times a week on Wonder white bread when I was growing up. Years later, as I was feeding my cat, I realized his food looked and smelled better than the Potted Meat.
    Hmmm...
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    af240 wrote: »
    The sugar post currently on the front page got me thinking it could be fun to start a new thread to share all the unhealthy and gross foods you had as a kid, that you now look back and shake your head at (or still have as an indulgence, we're not here to judge lol). I'm sure this has been done before, but it's still fun to share...

We had "bread and butter" with spaghetti which was just a slice of untoasted wonder/white bread with a generous slather of butter on top. It was my favorite meal as a kid just for that bread lol I know this isn't very far from garlic bread/toast, but the thought of just plain untoasted white bread makes me want to gag!

My Mimi would make me sugar grapes, which was just regular grapes wetted and rolled in sugar, as if they aren't sweet enough already lol. But it was "our thing" and I always asked her to make them for me when we would go visit.

Mine are pretty tame haha

My mom once made me a fried bologna sandwich but I (kind of unfortunately, I guess) was always a really conscious eater - even as a child. How boring -_-
  • lolothedragon
    lolothedragon Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't ever remember eating anything especially weird, except maybe butter. I would eat with a spoon in allowed.

I feel kind of weird about cinnamon sugar toast now...I never thought it was strange. I still eat it on occasion. I think it's delicious. lol
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I don't ever remember eating anything especially weird, except maybe butter. I would eat with a spoon in allowed.

I feel kind of weird about cinnamon sugar toast now...I never thought it was strange. I still eat it on occasion. I think it's delicious. lol

I'm kind of wondering about that as well! What's unhealthy or gross about cinnamon sugar toast?! We never had "American" (???) white bread (as in Wonder Bread or the like); I'm not even sure if I've ever eaten that kind of white bread. So, our cinnamon sugar toast was always on wheat. As an adult I rarely eat it, but that's because I want a generous amount of vegan butter and cinnamon sugar. Calorie wise, it's a treat because it's just not very filling.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Seems like there's a lot of fond memories of cinnamon toast! My mom used to make it for breakfast sometimes. It tasted like that cinnamon swirl bread from the store and it was so good as a kid! My sister and I later decided we were going to try and make it ourselves. We didn't have cinnamon or butter, so we settled on just pouring close to a fourth of a cup of sugar on a slice of untoasted white bread and eating it. We thought it was the greatest creation ever. Even though I think neither of us wanted to admit it wasn't as good as the cinnamon toast. It makes me gag thinking about the texture now.. Crunchy sweet bread. So gross.
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    i remember during the summer my mother would work at a ta office and we would go with her. our big treat was getting to bring lunchables with us and using the microwave to melt the cheese on the pizzas or ham sandwiches we made.

my mom always cooked beautiful homemade meals but my dads a junk food junkie o occasionally there would be a boxed mac and cheese or ramen night.

we did spaghetti sandwiches with a good 1/4 inch of butter on the bread. we also had lunch sandwiches of butter, bread, ketchup and a thick slice of cold meatloaf

buffalo breaded chicken with blue cheese on hard rolls
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    The 2 strangest I can think of that I loved as a kid were:
    Creamed eggs on toast = hard boiled eggs sliced up and mixed with white gravy served over toast
    Spam and pea salad = pan fried spam and peas mixed with mayo, chunks of cheddar cheese and onions

Also my grandfather used to buy a beef tounge about once a week. My grandmother would cook it and then he would use it for sandwiches throughout the week. I have the worst memory of the first time I opened their fridge to find an entire tounge on a plate! :p

I forgot all about Spam and pea salad. Loved it!

We butchered our own beef. Mom cooked the tongue one time. Dad said "I don't care how poor we are, we don't EVER have to do that again."
    We didn't. But I loved beef heart.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My mother wasn't a good cook either but she liked to be praised after every meal. If we were silent, she would pat herself on the back.

I remember partially cooked spaghetti mixed with American cheese...the pasta was still crunchy. Yuck! I don't like macaroni and cheese for that reason...too sticky/gummy flavorless.
    We ate canned sardines often. Also boiled eggs.

All meats were pretty much breaded and fried, cold cuts or fried hamburger.

Our vegetables were a wedge of lettuce or sliced tomatoes. Any other vegetables were boiled (out of a can).

She would buy frozen pot pies that would bake in the oven for an hour....she acted as if she slaved over the stove.

Cakes were always boxed cakes and either uniced or iced with boxed frosting. Pies were too complicated (thankfully).

My grandmother lived next door and we would go out in the garden and eat the vegetables off the vine...cucumbers, cabbage, or tomatoes. We had no idea what a bell pepper was...thought they were poisonous and smashed them.
    Bell peppers are my favorite vegetables now....Then I didn't know that peppers were edible.

When I was 15, I ate my first slice of pizza....mushroom...it was from a restaurant and not very good.

I was actually undernourished, growing up....very skinny.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    SpaghettiOs with "hot dogs." I don't know if Chef Boyardee changed the recipe or my tastes have changed, but BLECH!

I admit to still liking this one - baked bean sandwiches. Baked beans (sometimes heated, sometimes cold) on bread. I still have them sometimes (like twice a year), but now the bread is whole wheat instead of Wonder white.

I used to melt Nestle's Crunch candy bars over the toaster (this was in the dark ages before microwave) and eat them melted. Actually, I would eat any chocolate melted.

Chocolate milk chocolate powder. I didn't like milk but I loved the powder!

Cheese sandwiches. I lived on them in college. White bread slathered with mayonnaise and two slices of American cheese. I couldn't eat them now (I wouldn't want to, actually too much mayo and the cheese tastes like wax to me) but I lived on them then.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Looking at what you all have written here, I notice how different the „usual practice for a cheap meal” in households is around the world. I have never ever heard of spaghetti with buttered bread! My grandpa eats watermelon with bread, though.

Buttered bread was one of my favorites growing up. I spent part of my kindergarten and first two years of school in Austria, where we grew our own herbs as an educational hobby and used to cut a bit to put on the Butterbrot we ate during the break. Can't remember eating a lot of unhealthy food when I was there, but we were a bit strapped for cash and mom used to sometimes make cooked zucchini with a bit of leftover melted cheese and call it „fondue”. I thought it was fancy, and the edge of the matured cheese made the dreaded vegetable go unnoticed.

The rest of my childhood (before and after Austria) I lived in Romania. It was post-89 so we did have all the usual commercial sweets and commodities. As far as unhealthy goes, I loved the Chupa Chups lollipops, the ones that made your tongue blue, and 7Days croissants because they came with collectibles. My absolute favorite was the Kinder Egg, I was on a one-a-day diet.

My grandma was a fan of making things easy so I remember a lot of Alphabet instant Soup and instant strawberry pudding.

A household staple was frigănele - leftover bread soaked in a milk, egg and sugar mixture and then fried. They were heaven.

Oh, later edit for gross foods (foods which for me are not gross, but for others might be): Tripe soup (fantastic), fried breaded brain, hot fresh marrow, salted, spread on fresh bread.
  • jelly_potato
    jelly_potato Posts: 77 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I still eat pretty much all of the snacks that I made myself at home as a child, with a few exceptions of course. Sometimes when I had a sugar tooth I would take yogurt and dump a few table spoons of cocoa powder and sugar, until it had the consistency of pudding. Ew, that's one tradition that's better left in the past. Here's the funny bit - a few weeks ago while skyping with my mother, she told me that she had made up this incredible chocolate pudding by doing that exact same thing I did back then. Great minds do think alike I guess :D .

Those foods I bought from the school snack booths though....I can't believe I ever found any of the snacks there appealing, just thinking about them now kills my appetite. Allow me to murder your cravings with the following list:

1. Miserable $0.90 pizza's with the most disgustingly cheap toppings and the most baffling colouration of the dough.
    2. Traditional (in my country) soft pastry, which dripped fat when warm and could be used to excavate fossils once it got cold.
    3. $0.15 juice box, which was water with toxic-looking bright red, yellow, green, and blue colour and very artificial tastes.
    4. Cheap chips and puffs that apparently were supposed to be pizza flavoured, but smelled like hobo socks.
    5. Folded and toasted pita sandwiches with a choice of questionably fresh mayo & non-mayo based salads, sauces and meat/cheese. The hygiene was terrible, there were sometimes cockroaches, the woman there wore no gloves and would occasionally drop coins in the mayo salads and then scoop them out with her fingers and finish the order.

Edit: My home country does not use dollars, but let's assume it does for the sake of relateability.
  • twinkles4
    twinkles4 Posts: 124 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

I'm kind of wondering about that as well! What's unhealthy or gross about cinnamon sugar toast?! We never had "American" (???) white bread (as in Wonder Bread or the like); I'm not even sure if I've ever eaten that kind of white bread. So, our cinnamon sugar toast was always on wheat. As an adult I rarely eat it, but that's because I want a generous amount of vegan butter and cinnamon sugar. Calorie wise, it's a treat because it's just not very filling.

Husband loves cinnamon sugar toast. He was telling me that as a child they would buy jars of this pre-made cinnamon/sugar spread and asked me I would keep an eye out for it. He loved it as a kid and wanted to have it again.

Well after several weeks of looking I finally told him I can't find it anywhere. He looked online for it and found out it was taken off the shelf in the late 80's as it's a carcinogen :s
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    af240 wrote: »

We had "bread and butter" with spaghetti which was just a slice of untoasted wonder/white bread with a generous slather of butter on top. It was my favorite meal as a kid just for that bread lol I know this isn't very far from garlic bread/toast, but the thought of just plain untoasted white bread makes me want to gag!

Oh god we did the same thing... though I think we had wheat bread... which somehow sounds worse?
    Also I remember eating saltine crackers with butter on them at my grandparent's house!! ahhhh lol
    Although same grandparent's house.. we ate canned peaches without draining them and chopped up bananas and put in the juice. THAT still sounds good!
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    My grampa always served buttered saltines whenever he would make chili. I don't eat them as an adult much though, because that extra butter adds up fast! Sometimes I have been known to sneak a few though because they still taste delicious.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I used to melt cheddar cheese in a cup and eat it that way, just the cheese after pouring off what oil came out of it. I used to like Little Debbie's snacks. My favorite was the oatmeal cream pie at my grandparents. I used to sneak them and hope they didn't notice a bunch missing. Later in high school, my idea of breakfast was a Charms blow pop and a diet Coke.