Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• RecognitionT
    RecognitionT Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Why do people do anything stupid?

We're not a species made to last.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Why? Because people are not taught in school that science is not made like in ancient Greece - through deduction. Also they have no idea what the difference is between a hypothesis and a theory. Also they can't be arsed to learn these. Therefore you shouldn't be arsed to explain or prove anything to anybody.

The Socratic method isn't taught anymore. I'm not overly concerned as I just think it makes it better for those who can think and reason.

My point is that the scientific method is not taught either.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    CICO is problematic to many because:

1) There is no marketable product associated with it. Who is going to make money if you switch to CICO? You don’t need a commercial product to make it work, and if you can’t sell it, no one is going to push it.

This is pretty funny because Under Armor owns MFP and they don't even sell a kitchen scale.

Why would Under Armor sell a kitchen scale?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've had this conversation a few times with people who are chronic yo-yo, fad dieters within my circle. They've seen how successful I've been with losing weight and always ask about it. At first they INSIST that they can't ever lose weight unless they cut out whole food groups, exercise excessively, create extreme deficits, or completely change their diets to foods they don't even like. Stuff that isn't sustainable. And they know it. I press them about it and eventually they concede that yep, it's that simple to just eat less.

It's wild how simple it is. But it's not fast enough for them. It doesn't take the weight off quickly enough. People demand instant gratification and a modest deficit over a long period of time doesn't provide that. The ability to stick to something for a long period of time and not give up when it isn't instantaneous requires trust. It requires trust in ourselves and trusting the process and having faith in a result that can't yet be seen. Humans generally don't do a great job with that. So I guess they'd rather yo-yo and keep regaining the weight they lose over and over again, and trying something different each time to see if it provides an instant result.

Thank you for this post...you just helped me understand why people do what they do in one post, and these are the exact things I've been trying to grasp for several years now.

• lisa0527
    lisa0527 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes, exactly.