How accurate was calorie MFP's estimate for you? Was it low or high if inaccurate?

Options
13»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I turn 60 late this year and I wish I could still run. Knees can't handle it. I tore them up pretty bad one year when I went from not being a runner to running a half marathon. I thought I was going to be one of those skinny old guys you see out running until I started pulling up lame. Surgeon who did my arthroscopic told me if I kept running, I would probably be back to see him. I walk a fair amount. According to my fitness app, I am at 195 miles so far this year.

You should try a little running if you like again. There is absolutely NO ORTHO OR DOC who will ever tell anyone over 22 that running is ok. They ALL say don't do it. I still do. I tore my meniscus snow skiing in 99 I think. Wasn't really able to get it repaired at that time. I left it. Did min mileage. Started up last July and have been about to do about 28=30 miles per week with no issues. Yeah - at some point my joints will go bad but I figure they are going to anyway. Try C25K and see how far you get? I did not think I would get past 2 miles due to knees but ended up I have been able to consistently do 5K and more. Even 10K plus some days.

My knees might be a little further gone than yours. I used a cane part of last winter because of a flare that took a couple of months to subside (genetic autoimmune complication). I am walking miles and miles on level ground, but stairs are not my friend. With all that walking, my leg muscles are in good enough shape that I wouldn't have any trouble running a 5k if my knees could take the pounding.

FWIW, probably not generalizable, my physical therapy people made amazing improvements in my ability to handle stairs with the torn meniscus: Different muscle engagement.

Oops, messed up the quote tags - too late to edit. Corrected in quote in this post, above. Sorry!
  • brooke88z
    brooke88z Posts: 23 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm 5'9", female, 34 years old with a sedentary lifestyle. MFP gave me 1720 calories /days to maintain 135 lbs. My true number is at least 1800 calories. So MFP was on the low side.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I turn 60 late this year and I wish I could still run. Knees can't handle it. I tore them up pretty bad one year when I went from not being a runner to running a half marathon. I thought I was going to be one of those skinny old guys you see out running until I started pulling up lame. Surgeon who did my arthroscopic told me if I kept running, I would probably be back to see him. I walk a fair amount. According to my fitness app, I am at 195 miles so far this year.

You should try a little running if you like again. There is absolutely NO ORTHO OR DOC who will ever tell anyone over 22 that running is ok. They ALL say don't do it. I still do. I tore my meniscus snow skiing in 99 I think. Wasn't really able to get it repaired at that time. I left it. Did min mileage. Started up last July and have been about to do about 28=30 miles per week with no issues. Yeah - at some point my joints will go bad but I figure they are going to anyway. Try C25K and see how far you get? I did not think I would get past 2 miles due to knees but ended up I have been able to consistently do 5K and more. Even 10K plus some days.

My knees might be a little further gone than yours. I used a cane part of last winter because of a flare that took a couple of months to subside (genetic autoimmune complication). I am walking miles and miles on level ground, but stairs are not my friend. With all that walking, my leg muscles are in good enough shape that I wouldn't have any trouble running a 5k if my knees could take the pounding.

FWIW, probably not generalizable, my physical therapy people made amazing improvements in my ability to handle stairs with the torn meniscus: Different muscle engagement.

Oops, messed up the quote tags - too late to edit. Corrected in quote in this post, above. Sorry!

I had pretty good PT also, after the knee operation and after the flare that had me using the cane. I don't think I would walk as much if I hadn't rehabbed the knees. I can do a flight of stairs, maybe two, on good days. I can still do them on bad days, it just hurts. On really bad days, it hurts too much to do them. Those days are more about arthritic inflammation in the joint than muscle engagement.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options

I had pretty good PT also, after the knee operation and after the flare that had me using the cane. I don't think I would walk as much if I hadn't rehabbed the knees. I can do a flight of stairs, maybe two, on good days. I can still do them on bad days, it just hurts. On really bad days, it hurts too much to do them. Those days are more about arthritic inflammation in the joint than muscle engagement.

Different conditions have different effects, so don't take what follows as arguing with you about your situation at all, but your response makes me realize I didn't express myself even remotely clearly. What I meant was that the PT folks taught me ways to engage the muscles differently, which materially reduced stress on the joint: Not so much a matter of rehab, but rather technique. My rowing double partner is in a situation that sounds more like yours: Arthritis makes stairs a problem, no matter what. Sympathies!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I also question the accuracy of MFP calculator. I have had my rmr done at the University of Florida. It is lower than what mfp would state. If I ate back my exercise calories, I would be gaining like a mad man!
  • smitra0
    smitra0 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's way too low, I eat close to 4000 Kcal a day, I do one hour of running a day at a fast pace and I weigh about 54 kg.