Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• takemetosingapore19
    takemetosingapore19 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think because it’s easier to find some fault with it than to do it. I don’t find cutting calories hard but many do which is why so many people are overweight to begin with.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    First off CICO is absolutely real! The 95lb girl could have really high NEAT! Some people are just more fidgety! BW set point is extremely real, there is evidence if that in multiple metabolic studies of how the body wants to regain weight. I can post them if necessary. Hell leptin, a master hormone, was not discovered until 1994 I believe. Some people also just do not eat that much. There are studies on how the restraint area in the brain in naturally thin people light up when eating to tell them to stop, and many obese it does not. Macro splits may not be that important, besides a constant lvl of protein for loss or maintenance, but I truly believe it can have a lot to do with satiety. While eating "Clean" may help some people lose weight, restriction of many foods, more fiber, lean protein, most people will rebound. Calories will creep up slowly, it is just biology.

lol
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    nettiklive wrote: »
    So a 95-lb girl sedentary girl with very little muscle mass putting away easily 3,000 calories plus a day of high-fat, high-carb foods a day is burning up the caloric difference by swinging her foot and tapping her fingers on the desk more?
    Could be. But somehow I find that difficult to believe.

Or it could be that her body is repairing previous damage caused by the conditions that brought her to 95lbs. Could last for a few months during recovery.

So someone really new to maintenance might just start gaining weight after they added calories to stop loss because there body needed to repair it's self?
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Why aren't people like you never found under controlled circumstances in studies?[/quote]

Agreed. I'd love to know what my "secret" was back then.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »

Why aren't people like you never found under controlled circumstances in studies?

Agreed. I'd love to know what my "secret" was back then.

you ate less than you think you did, you were more active than you are now. You likely walked to school and friends houses ect, now you likely drive everywhere. Its not magic. [/quote]

Honestly, I have given a lot of thought to it. Even at the time, it was perplexing to everyone around me, including my cousin who lived with me and was a gymnast. I really, truly was not active, did not walk to school or friends houses (drove everywhere), ate bacon/eggs for breakfast, bought lunch at school cafeteria or went to McDonald's, stopped at my local High's Dairy Store 2-3 times per week and bought a pint of chocolate chip ice cream and ate it in one sitting. My parents worked so we every weekend we went out to dinner both nights. I'd get a 12 ounce prime rib, baked potato, salad bar. No issues putting it all down and then having dessert. I was really a glutton and inactive. That all came to a stop around my mid 20s. Even now, though I easily gain weight, it doesn't seem to be as much as some other people my age and social circle. But I am definitely heavier than I should be. If I were to eat 2,000 calories a day, it seems way under what I used to eat in my youth. It's what makes things so hard now. I've never had to curb my eating and have a lifetime of overeating habits. Very hard to change.