Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    The thing about
    CMNVA wrote: »

Why aren't people like you never found under controlled circumstances in studies?

Agreed. I'd love to know what my "secret" was back then.

you ate less than you think you did, you were more active than you are now. You likely walked to school and friends houses ect, now you likely drive everywhere. Its not magic.

Honestly, I have given a lot of thought to it. Even at the time, it was perplexing to everyone around me, including my cousin who lived with me and was a gymnast. I really, truly was not active, did not walk to school or friends houses (drove everywhere), ate bacon/eggs for breakfast, bought lunch at school cafeteria or went to McDonald's, stopped at my local High's Dairy Store 2-3 times per week and bought a pint of chocolate chip ice cream and ate it in one sitting. My parents worked so we every weekend we went out to dinner both nights. I'd get a 12 ounce prime rib, baked potato, salad bar. No issues putting it all down and then having dessert. I was really a glutton and inactive. That all came to a stop around my mid 20s. Even now, though I easily gain weight, it doesn't seem to be as much as some other people my age and social circle. But I am definitely heavier than I should be. If I were to eat 2,000 calories a day, it seems way under what I used to eat in my youth. It's what makes things so hard now. I've never had to curb my eating and have a lifetime of overeating habits. Very hard to change.
    [/quote]

IMHO why NEAT makes a lot of sense for why people seem not to gain weight while they are younger, when they were not "Active", is NEAT is subconscious. You may not realize how active you are or fidgety, adjusting posture, shaking your head to music. ect. As far as people who want to deny BW set point, why would people be resistant to weight gain by burning more calories in a surplus? Then after weight loss, there bodies burn less greater than what would be expected from mass loss? Makes sense to me that the body is pushing for a homeostatic point. Not saying BW set point can't go up. I believe it does over time. If you stop and think about it. Would it make sense for our early ancestors to be so large they could not run away from a predator? As far as the modern obesity problem, in the first world, how many cave bears do we have to run from? Its in our nature to rest when we can and eat as much as possible for survival. Our environment has overtaken our biology. Prevalence of high calorie hyper palatable foods and modern "Conveniences" that make us move less.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Why aren't people like you never found under controlled circumstances in studies?

Agreed. I'd love to know what my "secret" was back then.

you ate less than you think you did, you were more active than you are now. You likely walked to school and friends houses ect, now you likely drive everywhere. Its not magic.

Honestly, I have given a lot of thought to it. Even at the time, it was perplexing to everyone around me, including my cousin who lived with me and was a gymnast. I really, truly was not active, did not walk to school or friends houses (drove everywhere), ate bacon/eggs for breakfast, bought lunch at school cafeteria or went to McDonald's, stopped at my local High's Dairy Store 2-3 times per week and bought a pint of chocolate chip ice cream and ate it in one sitting. My parents worked so we every weekend we went out to dinner both nights. I'd get a 12 ounce prime rib, baked potato, salad bar. No issues putting it all down and then having dessert. I was really a glutton and inactive. That all came to a stop around my mid 20s. Even now, though I easily gain weight, it doesn't seem to be as much as some other people my age and social circle. But I am definitely heavier than I should be. If I were to eat 2,000 calories a day, it seems way under what I used to eat in my youth. It's what makes things so hard now. I've never had to curb my eating and have a lifetime of overeating habits. Very hard to change.

I remember a thread once where we compared the idea of a big meal between "naturally" thin and "naturally" fat people and there's a biiiig disparity sometimes. 2-3 pints of ice cream a week? That's what I aim for in moderation. 2-3 pints a night was my serving size at my largest. I would have the same steakhouse meal, plus two meatball subs at lunch, plus a snack before dinner in case the restaurant is slow, plus a bag of chips or some pop tarts or something after because I'm 'hungry' again. The disparity between what a "big" portion looks like, plus snacks, plus drinks, etc all adds up. I was a big high schooler and a fat woman in my 20s and I was eating a ton to maintain that. What you describe as a typical day? I'd lose weight on that. I'm not surprised you weren't gaining.

Edited to try and fix the quotes.

Interesting. I agree, that's quite a lot of food. Most people around me, though, who were heavier, were eating quite a bit less than I was. And probably exercising. Although at 2800 calories a day, at 100 lbs, I find it hard to believe I wouldn't gain. I certainly do now.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It's easier to tell yourself "as long as I dont eat after 8 I won't gain weight" and eat anything and everything for the rest of the day. CICO is a hard truth that many don't want to hear.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Yes, well known fact that women often LOSE weight in early pregnancy - because nausea means eating less.

As you get past first trimester this usually settles down and you get hungrier and eat more - obviously calorie needs change to grow the baby.