paleviolet Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good reminder, Raebeebaby!
  • cshagam
    cshagam Posts: 56 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    paleviolet wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to respond! I think upping the veggies will be key. And drinking black coffee- I usually put milk in mine and it adds up... and I like that you appreciate the value of a glass of wine. I feel motivated because I’d been thinking 10 pounds would take months but seeing what you’ve accomplished in 3 weeks makes it seem doable!

Coffee. You went there. Lol. Sooooo.... for as long as I was employed, I was a high school teacher and worked nights and weekends at a major airline. My hubby, who was a pilot with lots of days off, would sit on the lanai watching the ocean every morning he was home with a cup of coffee topped off with Bailey’s Irish Creme. I always said that when I retired, I would have coffee and Bailey’s every single morning. And I did. Fast forward four years and my morning routine was two large cups of coffee and probably what amounted in total to a 1/4 cup of Bailey’s. So, I don’t do black coffee, and I’m not drinking dairy at all. My new routine : I put a can of regular coconut milk in the refrigerator so the yummy cream chills at the top and while my coffee is brewing, I measure out 1/4 of a cup of just the white cream and whisk it over low heat. It gets super frothy and that amount provides me with two cups of sinfully delicious coffee. I get a little warning each morning that “this food is high in fat” but to be honest, coffee time is my favorite time of day. I have also done the same with coconut milk froth in my afternoon Earl Grey tea. I didn’t realize that’s an actual drink, called a London Fog. So yeah, I feel ya on the coffee dilemma. Lol
  • cshagam
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    VERY inspiring! I have the exact same stats and have been sitting at the 155-157 for quite some time. Your current weight is my goal.

I keep blaming lack of progress on being older, but truth is I've gotten lazy about logging and the scale reflects that. Time to get serious again!

Re: the wine - I've found that adding sparkling water to the wine makes it half the calories and you can have more than one glass! Cheers!

I, too, blamed my weight gain on being older and slower metabolism (I’m 54) but I realized I was just eating all wrong. I grew up in the southern US, where dinner could be eight different vegetables and no meat. Until I went away to college (at my same height) I never weighed over 100 pounds... then at the end of college, 115, then babies and life and somehow crept up to 160. So I’ve gone back to eating like I used to when I was young and so many of my little aches and pains left with the pounds. But the real change is how sharp I feel mentally.

The other thing I was doing was eating waaaay more than one serving of things-seriously, there are eight servings in a box of spaghetti?!?! Lol. So now I measure out everything that goes in my mouth. It’s getting easier rather than harder. I had a splitting headache for the first week, but now I really feel great! I’m not going back. I’m working too hard to let the weight creep up again.
  • paleviolet
    paleviolet Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    cshagam wrote: »
    paleviolet wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to respond! I think upping the veggies will be key. And drinking black coffee- I usually put milk in mine and it adds up... and I like that you appreciate the value of a glass of wine. I feel motivated because I’d been thinking 10 pounds would take months but seeing what you’ve accomplished in 3 weeks makes it seem doable!

Coffee. You went there. Lol. Sooooo.... for as long as I was employed, I was a high school teacher and worked nights and weekends at a major airline. My hubby, who was a pilot with lots of days off, would sit on the lanai watching the ocean every morning he was home with a cup of coffee topped off with Bailey’s Irish Creme. I always said that when I retired, I would have coffee and Bailey’s every single morning. And I did. Fast forward four years and my morning routine was two large cups of coffee and probably what amounted in total to a 1/4 cup of Bailey’s. So, I don’t do black coffee, and I’m not drinking dairy at all. My new routine : I put a can of regular coconut milk in the refrigerator so the yummy cream chills at the top and while my coffee is brewing, I measure out 1/4 of a cup of just the white cream and whisk it over low heat. It gets super frothy and that amount provides me with two cups of sinfully delicious coffee. I get a little warning each morning that “this food is high in fat” but to be honest, coffee time is my favorite time of day. I have also done the same with coconut milk froth in my afternoon Earl Grey tea. I didn’t realize that’s an actual drink, called a London Fog. So yeah, I feel ya on the coffee dilemma. Lol

I gotta try that! Thanks.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    VERY inspiring! I have the exact same stats and have been sitting at the 155-157 for quite some time. Your current weight is my goal.

I keep blaming lack of progress on being older, but truth is I've gotten lazy about logging and the scale reflects that. Time to get serious again!

Re: the wine - I've found that adding sparkling water to the wine makes it half the calories and you can have more than one glass! Cheers!

I, too, blamed my weight gain on being older and slower metabolism (I’m 54) but I realized I was just eating all wrong. I grew up in the southern US, where dinner could be eight different vegetables and no meat. Until I went away to college (at my same height) I never weighed over 100 pounds... then at the end of college, 115, then babies and life and somehow crept up to 160. So I’ve gone back to eating like I used to when I was young and so many of my little aches and pains left with the pounds. But the real change is how sharp I feel mentally.

The other thing I was doing was eating waaaay more than one serving of things-seriously, there are eight servings in a box of spaghetti?!?! Lol. So now I measure out everything that goes in my mouth. It’s getting easier rather than harder. I had a splitting headache for the first week, but now I really feel great! I’m not going back. I’m working too hard to let the weight creep up again.

I also grew up in the Southern US and I recall a lot of meals with fried chicken, fried fish, grits, hush puppies and not that many veggies. I didn't have a lot of veggies in my life until we moved to Oregon. I think it must depend on the family because southern cooking is usually pretty heavy and high fat. Sadly, one of the reasons the obesity rate in the southern states is the highest in the country.

That's funny about the servings. A serving of spaghetti is 1/2 cup. What? That's barely worth the effort.

Your coffee recipe with the coconut milk sounds delicious. What do you do with the leftovers after you've skimmed the cream off the top for your coffee?
  • jaimydude
    jaimydude Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Great job overall but I find it hard to believe there's only 10 lbs diff between those two pics. Is it just me? Or am I reading this wrong?
  • cshagam
    Options

I also grew up in the Southern US and I recall a lot of meals with fried chicken, fried fish, grits, hush puppies and not that many veggies. I didn't have a lot of veggies in my life until we moved to Oregon. I think it must depend on the family because southern cooking is usually pretty heavy and high fat. Sadly, one of the reasons the obesity rate in the southern states is the highest in the country.

That's funny about the servings. A serving of spaghetti is 1/2 cup. What? That's barely worth the effort.

Your coffee recipe with the coconut milk sounds delicious. What do you do with the leftovers after you've skimmed the cream off the top for your coffee?

Yes, I’ve seen a LOT of fried foods in the South. We may have been poor. Lol. We used to have fried chicken or a roast only on Sundays and grew all of our veggies in the garden. I just realized something as you said that. My dad was the curriculum director for Phys. Ed / Health for the entire state. His background was a PE/Health teacher and football/baseball coach, so I imagine that had a lot to do with the food that was offered to us as kids. Funny, I JUST made that connection.

I use the remainder of the coconut milk for cooking and recipes. I do a lot of Thai and Filipino dishes, so it never gets wasted. It lasts almost forever in the fridge.
  • cshagam
    edited April 2018
    Options
    jaimydude wrote: »
    Great job overall but I find it hard to believe there's only 10 lbs diff between those two pics. Is it just me? Or am I reading this wrong?

It’s exactly ten pounds because I waited until I hit ten pounds to let myself buy a new blouse and take a picture. The scale is moving much slower now -because since this picture, in almost one week, sometimes the scale moves down a pound and some days stays the same. A lot of it must have been water because I had more urine then than I’ve ever had in my life -like “wake up four times a night to pee” kind of volume.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options

Yes, I’ve seen a LOT of fried foods in the South. We may have been poor. Lol. We used to have fried chicken or a roast only on Sundays and grew all of our veggies in the garden. I just realized something as you said that. My dad was the curriculum director for Phys. Ed / Health for the entire state. His background was a PE/Health teacher and football/baseball coach, so I imagine that had a lot to do with the food that was offered to us as kids. Funny, I JUST made that connection.

I use the remainder of the coconut milk for cooking and recipes. I do a lot of Thai and Filipino dishes, so it never gets wasted. It lasts almost forever in the fridge.

I'm from the South too and sometimes in summer it was just too hot for meat. Butter beans and fresh peas and cold sliced cucumbers and cantaloupe and all sorts of yumminess come to mind :)
  • adarbyem
    adarbyem Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It's amazing on what 10lbs looks like. Fat is so low mass and high volume it's sometimes unbelievable.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    jaimydude wrote: »

It’s exactly ten pounds because I waited until I hit ten pounds to let myself buy a new blouse and take a picture. The scale is moving much slower now -because since this picture, in almost one week, sometimes the scale moves down a pound and some days stays the same. A lot of it must have been water because I had more urine then than I’ve ever had in my life -like “wake up four times a night to pee” kind of volume.

Four times a night to pee? Doesn't everyone do that? :wink:

I've discovered that 145ish is pretty perfect for my age and fitness level. I used to think 135 was fat when I was in my 20's. Now I'm not sure I'd really want to go below about 140.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!