The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,838 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    You have to find what works for you. Weighing food help me how to lean portion size. Finding some kind of work out you like will also help. I like to run and some wight lifting. We all have set backs .good luck and dont give up.
  • Athenry35
    Athenry35 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    jmast7769 wrote: »
    eihosford wrote: »
    T0M_K wrote: »
    Looking for support, fitness friends....46 y/o
    The struggle is real!

Hi. How can I help? the struggle is real fo sho.

Well, my personal struggle right now is sticking to a reasonable eating plan. I'm active most days of the week and have had some weight loss success with weight watchers (last year), but do not like their new plan and the meetings were feeling pretty stale for me. I do believe that it just gets tougher and tougher to maintain the older we get....

What kind of training are you doing? Cardio? Weights??

Lots of cardio right now - running 3-4 miles 3 or 4x's per week, walking on non run days. I started doing some weights training in Feb. Followed Harley Pasternaks' 5 factor fitness weight routine and liked it. Found it a bit repetitive at the end of the 5 weeks though. I then went on vacation and have struggled to get back to 'that' area of the gym since...even though I know it's beneficial for overall health/wellness....
  • Ralphone
    Options
    You sound like you are on the right track.
  • shawnisblessed
    shawnisblessed Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I am 49 years old. Please feel free to add me.
  • jmast7769
    jmast7769 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The struggle is real!

Well, my personal struggle right now is sticking to a reasonable eating plan. I'm active most days of the week and have had some weight loss success with weight watchers (last year), but do not like their new plan and the meetings were feeling pretty stale for me. I do believe that it just gets tougher and tougher to maintain the older we get....

Lots of cardio right now - running 3-4 miles 3 or 4x's per week, walking on non run days. I started doing some weights training in Feb. Followed Harley Pasternaks' 5 factor fitness weight routine and liked it. Found it a bit repetitive at the end of the 5 weeks though. I then went on vacation and have struggled to get back to 'that' area of the gym since...even though I know it's beneficial for overall health/wellness....

I would suggest pushing a low weight/high repetition weight program as your base and supplementing with cardio. Toning and converting lean muscle is a great building block that gives you benefits beyond the actual workout. Requires your body to burn more calories and not as reactive to missing a workout here and there.

My two cents! Different for everyone!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    36 here and looking for friends.
  • Athenry35
    Athenry35 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The struggle is real!

I would suggest pushing a low weight/high repetition weight program as your base and supplementing with cardio. Toning and converting lean muscle is a great building block that gives you benefits beyond the actual workout. Requires your body to burn more calories and not as reactive to missing a workout here and there.

My two cents! Different for everyone!

Thank you jmast7769 - I agree that a weights program would be most beneficial. I did start noticing a difference in those short 5 weeks - but I also noticed a difference in my appetite! Appreciate the feedback!
  • jmast7769
    jmast7769 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I weighed 191 in August of 2017. I am now around 165-170. I have pushed nutrition and weight training and very little cardio. I try to eat balanced and not give up any temptation food. Just limit it! Really comes down to calories in versus calories out. I eat in 5 meal portions to keep my metabolism constantly firing and ensure my BMR stays as high as possible. Weight training is also great for BMR. This go round I am trying to study the science behind what I am doing to train smarter as I’m not getting any younger.

Any thoughts? I am learning a lot as I go and would love to have some input by anyone else going the same route???

• J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,540 Member
    Options
    Present!
  • shenanigans_
    shenanigans_ Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    HHD awesome people
  • wcaldwelld
    wcaldwelld Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    54 here... been on for several years feel free to add away
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    JJordon wrote: »
    36 here and looking for friends.

Feel free to add me brother.
  • Gngr09
    Gngr09 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, new since Monday - feel free to add me as a friend!
  • CindyLouWhoinWhoville
    CindyLouWhoinWhoville Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I didn't feel old until this weekend when the local classic rock station played The Red Hot Chili Peppers! WTH they aren't classic rock!!! When did that happens???? :/
  • bobshuckleberry
    bobshuckleberry Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Turned 50 on the 21st of March. Started crossfit last July, has totally changed my body and other aspects of my life. Doing my first competition later this month.ay35cynybsmm.png
  • donnap1010
    donnap1010 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    44 here ...feel free to add me
  • Ralphone
    Options
    I didn't feel old until this weekend when the local classic rock station played The Red Hot Chili Peppers! WTH they aren't classic rock!!! When did that happens???? :/

Remember when there where videos on M tv lol
  • jennifereallen614
    jennifereallen614 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How do you add friends?
  • daisyf717
    daisyf717 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Athenry35 wrote: »
    The struggle is real!

I liked Lou schuler’s new rules for weightlifting for women. It has really good lifting plans. I went through it once but I’m doing something a little different now. Highly suggest it tho!
  • jeremy_cortright518
    Options
    Hey hey. Feel free to add me. I am 32 but feel like 40 if that counts lol. I am currently looking to drop 100 lbs and am coming back off of a spinal injury so. Definitely could use support and any recommendations available. Thank you and hope to hear from you all soon.