Smoothies. Are they worth it?

Replies

• justcarpediem
    justcarpediem Posts: 4 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    by all means be creative, I use vanilla protein powder spinach and cinnamon mixed with carrots sometimes and it tastes like carrot cake. Smoothies can be basically anything blendable

Oh my gosh, thanks for that suggestion! I'm definitely going to try that!
  • chloe_wearmouth
    chloe_wearmouth Posts: 19 Member
    Thanks for all the tips guys! I plan on weighing out everything before adding it of course and counting it into MFP. Just wondering, using veggies like spinach and kale, does it add a flavour to the smoothie? For example if I made a mango and pineapple smoothie and then added kale would that alter the flavour?
    Thanks!!!
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    Im on 1300 cal a day. So one of my meals is a smoothie, and to me its very much worth it.
    200ml skim milk
    30g greek yoghurt
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder (isowhey)
    1 banana
    About 280 calories.
  • Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    edited April 2018
    If you are using all natural stuff like fruit and veg etc then don't be afraid of the sugar (unless instructed so by a doctor to avoid it). If you can fit the smoothie into your calories then fantastic I would have one everyday if you enjoyed it! Full of vitamins and minerals definitely what the body needs sometimes. :)

Matter of fact i will be doing smoothies and juices when the summer rolls around. I love the occasional one to refresh the body in the morning or afternoon!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    I tend to use smoothies for upping my carbs without adding too much fat to my macros. I am on a higher cal allowance than most women, so it can fit when I choose it to. They are not my favourite food/drink.

If you enjoy them and they fit your goals, eat/drink them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited April 2018
    You don't HAVE to eat in the morning if you're not hungry. Actually, for me eating a smoothie full of sugar first thing in the morning, especially if I'm not even hungry, is a disaster waiting to happen.

But no, fruit is full of nutrients, so they're not unhealthy, just a lot of calories. And as people said, you can add protein and fat to them. The thing for me really is that they don't fill me up one bit.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    4rahb3feda9m.jpg

Here is what I did to make a knock off TI'm Hor tons iced capp. I brewed a keurig pod of Folgers vanilla Biscotti coffee and put it in ice cube trays. After they were frz they went in the blender. I added 2 tbsp of the sugar free (or low sugar) french vanilla coffee flavour syrup. (It's like those fancy coffee houses use with the pump on top) and also a half cup dark chocolate almond milk and a half cup normal almond milk. I blended it, crossed my fingers, then really enjoyed it. I made it up as I went along and won't change a thing.☺
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    nothing wrong with smoothies but if you dont want to eat in the morning theres zero need to. Eat what/when you want

Hey thanks for replying! The only reason I want to have something in my stomach is because my job only allows us to eat/use the bathroom etc. At certain times. If I dont have anything at 8am, I then have to go until 1.30pm before I am allowed to eat. Same again for evening, not allowed to eat until 6.15pm when I get home which is why Ill try and eat at every opportunity as I am on my feet running around all day. Unfortunately I end up skipping breakfast because I don't feel like eating and then regret it at 11am so I am just trying to think of different ways to get something inside me :)

Don't know what your job is or what country you're in, but my understanding is that you can't make anyone work more than 4 hours continuously without a break. You'd need to verify what the law is for your location, but those are very long spells where you're not allowed to eat nor go to the toilet. Something is wrong there.
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    I'm not a smoothie freak, but they are a great vehicle for getting veggies in.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    If it fits your calorie goal, nutritional goals and satisfies you there is no problem having a smoothie.
    If I were you I would add some form of protein to the smoothie. Milk, yogurt, protein powder, cottage cheese... whatever appeals to you.

I don't have them because I am not satisfied drinking my calories. I do better just eating something.
  • nurzepat
    nurzepat Posts: 2 Member
    1 cup plain kefir, 1 cup water, 1/2 frozen banana, 1/2 c. frozen berries, scoop of grass fed beef protein powder, handful of spinach. Yum! I use it for after work-out treat. For quick breakfast or lunch, I make a pot of steel-cut oatmeal with chopped apple, raisins, cinnamon, hemp seed, chia seed, soy milk on Sundays and refrigerate individual portions to microwave mornings which is easier than making a smoothie. If you have a few minutes, it is easy to make an egg mcmuffin: scramble an egg in small pyrex dish, cover with paper towel, microwave 1 to 1.5 minutes on medium power while toasting a whole wheat english muffin, microwave a breakfast patty while buttering the toasted muffin--5 minutes start to finish, more satiating protein and less fuss than a fruit smoothie.
  • chloe_wearmouth
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    nothing wrong with smoothies but if you dont want to eat in the morning theres zero need to. Eat what/when you want

Hey thanks for replying! The only reason I want to have something in my stomach is because my job only allows us to eat/use the bathroom etc. At certain times. If I dont have anything at 8am, I then have to go until 1.30pm before I am allowed to eat. Same again for evening, not allowed to eat until 6.15pm when I get home which is why Ill try and eat at every opportunity as I am on my feet running around all day. Unfortunately I end up skipping breakfast because I don't feel like eating and then regret it at 11am so I am just trying to think of different ways to get something inside me :)

Don't know what your job is or what country you're in, but my understanding is that you can't make anyone work more than 4 hours continuously without a break. You'd need to verify what the law is for your location, but those are very long spells where you're not allowed to eat nor go to the toilet. Something is wrong there.

Hey, Im a nursery nurse in the UK and yeah everything they do (staff wise) is pretty illegal i.e. no pension, no sick pay, no annual leave unless absolutely nescessary, no breaks, work 60 hours and only get paid for 40 etc. but ive just gotta suck it up until I can find somewhere better (19 years old with a mortgage, pets etc.) So I can't really afford to not work there at the moment but on the look out for somewhere better
  • chloe_wearmouth
    Thanks for all the help and information guys!!! Really appreciate it! Definitely gonna try adding veggies and protein!
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    edited April 2018
    As long as it fits your calories, it’s fine. Personally, fruit smoothies tend to make me feel hungrier than just eating fruit and yogurt. Blending up the fruit causes your body to digest it faster. I notice I kind of crash and need to eat again shortly after having a smoothie. I feel fuller longer if I eat the exact same ingredients and same amounts without blending them, like Greek yogurt, frozen berries, and honey, eaten with a spoon. If you’re putting spinach in there, that you wouldn’t be able to eat any other way, then the smoothie might be a good choice for you. It’s a matter of personal preference and may come down to the smoothie being faster and more convenient for you.
  • chloe_wearmouth
    As long as it fits your calories, it’s fine. Personally, fruit smoothies tend to make me feel hungrier than just eating fruit and yogurt. Blending up the fruit causes your body to digest it faster. I notice I kind of crash and need to eat again shortly after having a smoothie. I feel fuller longer if I eat the exact same ingredients and same amounts without blending them, like Greek yogurt, frozen berries, and honey, eaten with a spoon. If you’re putting spinach in there, that you wouldn’t be able to eat any other way, then the smoothie might be a good choice for you. It’s a matter of personal preference and may come down to the smoothie being faster and more convenient for you.

Yeah thats the thing, Im strapped for time as it is and eating early on a morning tends to make me feel sick but then I find I am super hungry at work if I just skip altogether so its a lose lose as I then cannot eat until around 1.30pm so I thought if I can manage to drink my breakfast then that might make things easier for me. Thanks for replying!
  • allyssasmommy8
    allyssasmommy8 Posts: 12 Member
    They can be good if the ratio of fruit to greens are right. I do 2:1 or 4:2 vegis to fruit. You don’t want to spike your sugar in the morning so balance is key.
  • chloe_wearmouth
    They can be good if the ratio of fruit to greens are right. I do 2:1 or 4:2 vegis to fruit. You don’t want to spike your sugar in the morning so balance is key.

Do you feel like the veggies overpower the fruit in terms of flavour? I'm worried that I make a smoothie and it just tastes like spinach and broccoli and it overpowers the fruit in there. Thanks!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member

Do you feel like the veggies overpower the fruit in terms of flavour? I'm worried that I make a smoothie and it just tastes like spinach and broccoli and it overpowers the fruit in there. Thanks!

banana and stevia are both really good at covering the flavor of spinach with very small amounts. Go test for yourself your own threshold and just how much you need it covered is different
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,261 Member
    We love our nutribullit! I upgraded & bought the Rx one. 2 yrs ago, my hubby got all his upper teeth pulled. During the time he waited for his gums to heal, our son gave us a regular nutribullit. He started making all kinds of smoothies with some fruit, veggies, flaxseed, protein powder, you name it, he even put whatever I made for dinner & added almond milk, chicken, beef etc. He lost all his weight, got off insulin, got off heart meds & got active. He still makes a smoothie every day. I have a few a week but during the hot summer, I have one ever day. I also buy frozen fruit. I use about 3/4 cup or fresh fruit, I add, yogurt,almond milk, veggies & protein powder or "healthy meal" powder & sometime xanthan gum. I love it, plus it's the only way I eat fruit.If I'm especially hungry I'll make one to have with my meal. I'm all for it, oh, he also makes hot soup with it.
  • ehseeker
    ehseeker Posts: 515 Member
    Add some good protein powder and greek yogurt. I agree with spinach. It tastes great in smoothies.