Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are Processed Foods "Bad"?

Options

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The issue with the question, as many have pointed out, is that "processed" can mean a VERY wide variety of things.

IMO, when I think of processed foods (I seldom use the term when talking about food), I think of things that are very far from their original state, and have had many extra things from preservatives to sweeteners to other things all added in.

I do think we are better off "generally" eating simple ingredient meals that don't have a lot of "extra" things added in.

In my personal definition/use of the word "processed" I would say that processed foods are not as good for you as unprocessed foods. But, my definition isn't exactly correct, and unless I define it, someone else won't know what I'm referring to, hence why I try to avoid using that in conversation too often.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    J_Fairfax wrote: »
    Fresher tastes better

I agree, nothing sadder than stale Oreos....

Stale ginger snaps are even sadder. **glares at husband who didn't put the lid back on the cookie jar last night**

This is a fair point. Stale Oreos can at least theoretically be saved by slower milk-dunking. Stale ginger snaps not only have a texture issue, but the bite of the ginger seems to disappear so they taste slightly off.

I hope your hubby was appropriately ashamed.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    That's true, but I'd bet most home kitchens don't have a team of researchers tweaking recipes to make them as palatable as humanly possible. Large-scale food manufacturers do.

Home cooked unhealthy food is also way less convenient, when's the last time someone you know stopped at the grocery store to get everything they needed to make homemade burgers and fries and then went home and spent an hour making it instead of stopping at McDonald's? So yes, it's possible, but you really need the convenience of fast/packaged foods to make impulsive bad food decisions.

I prepare all meals but one a week at home for my family.
    I make a meal plan that sometimes includes homemade hamburgers and fries. I make a grocery list throughout the week and we go shopping once. We buy food for a week at a time. It takes maybe an hour to shop for a full cart of food which will be many meals for 3 people. Dinner making daily may be 30 minutes to an hour of cooking time but not preperation time. Burgers and fries at home are a pretty quick meal- maybe 20 minutes forming the patties and heating the grill to finishing cooking. If I slice a potato and put it on a tray in the oven it takes about 15-20 minutes to cook that at the same time. I usually don't make my own buns or condiments/sauces unless it is a special occasion. We buy cheese someone else made- usually a block of cheddar..
    When we go out to eat as a family we decide the day before or early in day day where we will go. I look up nutritional information if possible and prelogging my food choice. We are generally driving 45 minutes, sitting in the drive thru for 15-20 minutes or waiting at a counter or table, possibly eating in the car while doing errands and then driving home another 45 minutes. It is convenient to not pack food, more expensive, not faster than me cooking and far from spontaneous. It does not really taste better than my own cooking. There may be more salt or oil than I would use at home. There are not ingredients that make us overeat for the rest of the day/week from that one meal.

I understand from the internet that many people are not like me but I don't buy the idea that eating foods that are packaged or made at a restaurant are controlling people's food choices based on ingredients you wouldn't use at home.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Well, it's up to you to choose your food. I do eat some processed food, with less and "better" ingredients, I use "__" cos to some it may be unimportant , to some it's not. But I would not ban them forever, just choose the best ones, since they can be tasty hehe.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Any food that is no longer in it's original growth state is processed. Cooking is processing food, so is adding spices and marinating. I'm not a dietitian nor nutritionist, but I do know that raw pork is NOT good for you.

"Processed" is just the latest "bad" food trend.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    First I think its important to say that "processed food" is a very Ill defined subjective term that different use in different ways. So, before I say how I feel know that when I think "processed" food I am thinking of a reductionist approach where a food product is just a combination of a few heavily refined products. For example a food product that takes refined wheat flour as a carb source mixes it with high fructose corn syrup as a sweetener and purified vanilin for flavoring. I do think that when possible it is better to avoid that in favor of whole foods.

I dont say that because I think there are toxins or chemikillz in processed foods that are dangerous or aren't also in whole foods. I say that because of what is missing from heavily processed foods which tend to be constructed from a limited number of refined ingredients.

An apple has thousands of component ingredients too lengthy and complex to actually list out or add to a processed foodstuff. Apple Jack's cereal does not contain everything that is in an apple. I think having processed foods in ones diet is fine but that if you ate only processed foods you would likely end up with gaps in your nutrition beyond just the obvious vitamins which often are intentionally added to processed foods.

Ironically one thing food processing does do well is fortify certain staples like breakfast cereals and milk with things like vitamin D and iron which are typically lacking from most whole foods. So honestly the "best" diet is probably a mixed one where you have your processed breakfast cereal and fortified milk along with some whole fruits, vegetables and proteins.