Trader Joe’s suggestions

Replies

• KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    They have the best frozen grilled asparagus. No giant fat stocks in theirs like many other brands.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    I don't find much of their stuff to be lower cal or diet friendly, but it's not bad either and if you can fit it in your meal plan, they do have some good things. I like their Indian frozen meals for a change of pace. I like their boxes of frozen white and brown rice. I always buy their crunchy peanut butter. Toothpaste, dog food. Very good quality items for lower prices than our grocery stores (DC area).
  • nicholahmola
    nicholahmola Posts: 18 Member
    Vanilla meringues! 4 cookies for 90 calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Why there and not literally any other store? Trader Joe's is not some Holy Mecca of food shopping.

I like Trader Joe's and drop in a couple times per year but I have gotta say I don't get the hype. Sorta like IKEA. I just don't.

As for the question though - none of the stuff I have really liked from TJ's has been "healthier" fare. Dolmas, macarons, various beers, and the delicious jar of Speculoos cookie cocoa swirl. Everything else has been the same to me as every other store.

I also think this may vary more with location. I heard someone in NYC metro talking about how much cheaper it was to buy food at Trader Joe's than just about anywhere else. In the Midwest, it's just like "fancier Aldi", not a huge money saver really, although they do have pretty good prices on frozen entrees/sides. I always think I'd spend more there if I lived alone.

Yeah, my ex boyfriend and all his friends raved about IKEA. I went once and didn't get it.

Nuts are cheaper at TJs, but I haven't found the savings worth going out of my way. My mom goes there regularly, so I'll ask her to pick up stuff from time to time. The only places I go out of my way for are Whole Foods and Market Basket.
  • Karlottia
    Karlottia Posts: 2 Member
    I like the teriyaki tofu, cut in little squares and airfry for ten minutes. Add to salad or stir fry. Fat free feta.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Inexpensive gourmet cheese
    General Tao's stir fry sauce
    Green curry simmer sauce
    chicken sausage
    Greek yogurt
    Corn salsa
    Frozen asparagus risotto
  • freenowphoever
    freenowphoever Posts: 52 Member
    Masala "burgers" in the frozen section
  • musicalannie1
    musicalannie1 Posts: 1 Member
    One of my new found loves is their Sriracha Ranch Dressing!! You can dip ALL the veggies in that stuff it's so yummy! Their Omega Nut Mix is a really great snack too. Also so many ready to eat (frozen) veggies and meals. Mashed cauliflower. Get whatever looks good! I love their frozen selection for a busy lifestyle.
  • DifferentView
    DifferentView Posts: 17,416 Member
    Here their fresh fruit is good and cheaper. However, their tomatoes suck.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Here their fresh fruit is good and cheaper. However, their tomatoes suck.

Unfortunately I can't find a tomato that doesn't suck :(.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    One of my new found loves is their Sriracha Ranch Dressing!! You can dip ALL the veggies in that stuff it's so yummy! Their Omega Nut Mix is a really great snack too. Also so many ready to eat (frozen) veggies and meals. Mashed cauliflower. Get whatever looks good! I love their frozen selection for a busy lifestyle.

Yessss, I love the sriracha ranch dressing! Also the green dragon hot sauce--I put that *kitten* on everything! :lol:

Another reason I love Trader Joe's is that their items don't have artificial colors or preservatives. One of my kids is sensitive to the colors, so going there saves me the hassle of sifting through all the ingredient lists for red #40 and yellow #5, etc.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Black Bean and corn enchiladas
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Think I’m the third one to say it - their Everything but the Bagel seasoning is awesome! Put it on avocado... mmmmm
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Based on a recent unfortunate experience, I can absolutely say that the Salmon Jerky should not be on your list of things to buy. Unless you enjoy eating something that's reminiscent of dog treats or cat food.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    I love Trader Joes! Try the Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage, Chicken Gyoza Potstickers, Green Dragon Hot Sauce, and Frozen Fire-Roasted Corn. I've never found anything there that I didn't like. Its not all healthy (Cookie Butter, I'm looking at you), but its all delicious.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    The macros on their frozen small pizzas are actually good . 350 Cal pop to scratch your pizza itch.

I like their already cooked chicken strips , only place I'll buy them . Their yogurts . My ultimate favorite staple is the whole wheat fiber bread. Multigrain fiber bread. Boxed lentil soup. Gyoza.
  • io8785a
    io8785a Posts: 35 Member
    Goat Milk Yogurt: 100 calories per serving (6 oz)

Thai Yellow Curry Sauce: 100 calories per serving (1/4 cup)

I also buy most of my fruits and veggies from there.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    @DX2JX2 I have to beg to differ on the salmon jerky... my whole family loves it! That said, more than one of us have expressed envy of the dog’s jerky (also from TJ’s), so YMMV for sure! :D