Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Sugar tax in the UK

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    2aycocks wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The trouble is, they'll just replace sugar with artificial crap, which is equally, if not more damaging ... We'll see won't we :/

How are artificial sweeteners more damaging? If the end game is to reduce obesity, switching to artificial sweeteners, Diet Coke instead of regular for example - is often a very productive solution.

What about greasy fish and chips? McDonalds burgers and fries? They going to ban those as well? Do those contribute to obesity? Where does this all end once you start banning things? And who makes the decisions as to what to ban and not ban?

In case you didn't see my earlier post upthread:

"One country that has already seen a positive impact on public health from a junk food excise tax is Hungary. Manufacturers of junk foods in that country pay a “value added tax” of 27% on top of the 25% tax that’s imposed on most foods. Hungary’s law levies the junk food tax based largely on sugar and salt content.

Four years after Hungary’s tax was introduced, more than 59% of consumers had lowered their consumption of the offending junk food products, according to a study conducted by the country’s National Institute of Pharmacy and Nutrition and the World Health Organization (WHO). Overweight or obese adults were twice as likely to change their eating habits than were people of normal weight, the researchers found. When consumers were polled, they reported that they were opting for less expensive products—but that the taxes also made them more mindful of the health risks of junk food."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arleneweintraub/2018/01/10/should-we-tax-junk-foods-to-curb-obesity/#3085d5097df6

But nowhere in that article does it say what happened to the obesity rates in Hungary. Kinda an important piece of information to be left unsaid.

I just glanced through the related report, http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/332882/assessment-impact-PH-tax-report.pdf?ua=1

Again, they note a reduction in the consumption of the products but NOWHERE do they comment on a reduction in the actual obesity. Seem much happier with the revenue generated, and less concerned with the underlying problem.

The law went into effect in 2011, probably too early to show change in obesity rates specifically identified with the implementation of the law.

The analysis does show a reduction in high calorie, nutrient poor items, especially among the obese. Doubt if anyone could call that a bad thing.
  • Packerjohn
    edited April 2018
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    the other side of the coin, however, is that Type 1 diabetics, who frequently use high sugar drinks such as Lucozade when they are having a low blood sugar moment, now will find they need to consume DOUBLE the amount of reduced sugar liquid to get the same level of carbs. Not difficult you might think, but try getting 200ml of lucozade into a belligerent/in denial teenager rather than 100ml.....

And how much of the sugary drink consumption is directly related to the needs of T1 diabetics who need high sugar drinks for medical reasons?

so one minority group without a choice in terms of medical need (who ordinarily would favour artificial sweeteners) are to be penalised (both financially and in terms of availability) for the actions of another group who have a choice, but choose not to exercise that choice?

It's a tax, not a ban. If this tax puts someone buying sugary items for medical reasons over the cliff financially, they already had significant problems.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    In reality, how often would someone with diabetes need to drink a sugary drink? Are we talking every day? Genuine question, I'm not doubting that it's an issue
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The trouble is, they'll just replace sugar with artificial crap, which is equally, if not more damaging ... We'll see won't we :/

How are artificial sweeteners more damaging? If the end game is to reduce obesity, switching to artificial sweeteners, Diet Coke instead of regular for example - is often a very productive solution.

What about greasy fish and chips? McDonalds burgers and fries? They going to ban those as well? Do those contribute to obesity? Where does this all end once you start banning things? And who makes the decisions as to what to ban and not ban?

In case you didn't see my earlier post upthread:

"One country that has already seen a positive impact on public health from a junk food excise tax is Hungary. Manufacturers of junk foods in that country pay a “value added tax” of 27% on top of the 25% tax that’s imposed on most foods. Hungary’s law levies the junk food tax based largely on sugar and salt content.

Four years after Hungary’s tax was introduced, more than 59% of consumers had lowered their consumption of the offending junk food products, according to a study conducted by the country’s National Institute of Pharmacy and Nutrition and the World Health Organization (WHO). Overweight or obese adults were twice as likely to change their eating habits than were people of normal weight, the researchers found. When consumers were polled, they reported that they were opting for less expensive products—but that the taxes also made them more mindful of the health risks of junk food."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arleneweintraub/2018/01/10/should-we-tax-junk-foods-to-curb-obesity/#3085d5097df6

Uh-huh. It's good that there is a positive effect. But that wasn't what my statement was about. To clarify, if the government starts adding a Special tax to whatever they believe we the people don't need, where does it stop? And do you really trust the government to always have YOUR best interest in mind?

Actually.... In the case of our current government (in the UK), no, I don't, but that's another discussion altogether :)
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    just do what we did last time something like this happened; throw it in a harbor

:D
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I love this idea, but only if the extra tax is used to subsidize making healthier foods like fresh produce cheaper.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    the other side of the coin, however, is that Type 1 diabetics, who frequently use high sugar drinks such as Lucozade when they are having a low blood sugar moment, now will find they need to consume DOUBLE the amount of reduced sugar liquid to get the same level of carbs. Not difficult you might think, but try getting 200ml of lucozade into a belligerent/in denial teenager rather than 100ml.....

And how much of the sugary drink consumption is directly related to the needs of T1 diabetics who need high sugar drinks for medical reasons?

so one minority group without a choice in terms of medical need (who ordinarily would favour artificial sweeteners) are to be penalised (both financially and in terms of availability) for the actions of another group who have a choice, but choose not to exercise that choice?

Fruit juice is not being subjected to the tax. T1 diabetics can easily buy juice instead.
  • IrRevd
    IrRevd Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    As a child in the UK I never drank sugary drinks and still don't as an adult. I still became obese. It had nothing to do with sugary drinks.
    We pay tax on cigarettes and alcohol, people still buy them.
    It won't change a thing.

Actually high taxation has significantly reduced the level of smokers in the UK.
  • IrRevd
    Options

No they can but something else like dull sugar coke, use glucose tablets or add sugar to their drink.
  • IrRevd
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I love this idea, but only if the extra tax is used to subsidize making healthier foods like fresh produce cheaper.

It is being used to fund breakfast clubs and healthy eating campaigns in schools. The tax is currently completely ring fenced.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I bet the UK school vending machines are dull as dishwater.
  • IrRevd
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

I'm not sure many schools here have vending machines.
  • jgnatca
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Do they have a convenience store within walking distance from the playground? The proprietor around here gets a hunted expression when school is let out.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

Schools in the US don't stock junk food in vending machines.

https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/high-school-notes/2013/07/01/junk-food-axed-from-school-vending-machines

It's a good thing
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

https://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/high-school-notes/2013/07/01/junk-food-axed-from-school-vending-machines

It's a good thing

BS - you should see the machines in my daughter's high school - I quit sending sweet snacks in her lunch because she was doubling up by eating the one I sent and buying more out of the machine. They also have soft drinks and Starbucks cold coffee mixtures as well.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

It's a good thing

BS - you should see the machines in my daughter's high school - I quit sending sweet snacks in her lunch because she was doubling up by eating the one I sent and buying more out of the machine. They also have soft drinks and Starbucks cold coffee mixtures as well.

Hope you are working with other concerned parents to get rid of that *kitten*.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I’m old. My favourite vending machine offerings were chocolate milk and cheesies (Hawkins). That was in the seventies.

THEY SAY if you want to eat healthy cook like your grandmother. I’m a grandmother. But I suspect that THEY mean prairie grandmas from the fifties. I have a vintage recipe book. You know how they prepared the roast? Slathered it with thick slices of bacon, well marbelled roast, lard side up. Vegetables au gratin glossy with melted butter. Mashed potatoes with gravy. Whole milk. Finish up with apple pie. Then go out and lug hay bales until the sun goes down.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    When the budget got short and I wondered how to most efficiently feed us, the importance of lard comes clear. Fatten up those piglets on kitchen scraps and you will be eating high off the hog come fall.