Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people deny CICO ?

Options

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    lisa0527 wrote: »
    Sure it has. It’s not common. It’s probably quite rare. Has it been reported? Yes. See Table 2 for Patient details. Truth is there is significant inter-individual variation in the extent of adaptive thermogenesis relative to the energy deficit.
    https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.2217/17460875.2.6.651?needAccess=true

A study on 2 whole people, huh?

I think you might need to reread the article.

The article shares details about the case studies of three people -- two men who were on an extended expedition and a woman who was participating in a weight loss study. Table 2 is about the woman. The point: this is a very small amount of data from which to begin drawing conclusions that might apply more widely.

The article makes no claim for generalizability. In the context of a larger study it discusses a woman whose metabolic adaptation to energy restriction exceeded the energy deficit, resulting in weight gain on a lower calorie diet. I think they’re clear that they are reporting on one end of the spectrum of inter-individual variation in metabolic adaptation to an energy deficit. The majority of individuals lost weight exactly as expected. I shared the article because there is a firmly held belief in this Community that it is impossible to gain weight after cutting calories. Because of the over emphasis on the CI component of CICO, the answer to stalled weight loss is almost always “you’re eating more than you think you are”, or “eat less”. There exist some unfortunate individuals for whom that advice is both demotivating and simply wrong. So a little compassion when they post asking for help might be in order.

You are talking about the .0099% of the population, the outliers. On threads like those. chime in with your advice see if that helps them.

I did not know it was 0.0099%. Do you have a source for that figure?

I just pulled that number out of thin air. You are still talking about the rare case in which this happens. Maybe you should give me the percentage of with people with this condition and we can back from there.

Well .0099% is 1 out of 100000, or did I add an extra zero.

Either way. That's a LOT of people. It's probably actually a much smaller number :) Most of whom should be under a doctor's immediate care.

Thanks for doing the math for me. I thought I picked a pretty solid number for how thin the air was. Teaches me.