Need some beginner help on weight lifting!

Options
So I recently bought a second hand weight bench and a few weights...probably 60-80lbs. I've been losing weight solely on cardio and I know that's only going to work for so long so I started the weights. I'm having trouble finding information on how many sets/reps and amount of weight I should start with. I'm more interested in endurance then I am strength so I put 10lbs on each side and have just been kind of playing around with deadlifts and bench pressing (if that's the correct term) I've been working really hard on my form because I know that quite important but I don't know what kind of routine I should actually be doing!? And should I be lifting every second day or every day!? Anyone with any ideas I would love to hear them....

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Read the pinned post in the Fitness forum for a list of proven programs to follow.. It's usually best to follow the programs as written instead of modifying them. Why do you want to work on endurance?
  • quietone44
    quietone44 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Read the pinned post in the Fitness forum for a list of proven programs to follow.. It's usually best to follow the programs as written instead of modifying them. Why do you want to work on endurance?

I don't actually I just prefer it over strength training. I'm not looking to bench press my weight or anything I'd rather be able to do more reps and sets then to be able to lift 150lb deadlift. I just want to proportion everything and shape my arms and chest a bit.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    quietone44 wrote: »

I don't actually I just prefer it over strength training. I'm not looking to bench press my weight or anything I'd rather be able to do more reps and sets then to be able to lift 150lb deadlift. I just want to proportion everything and shape my arms and chest a bit.

training "heavy" is what will do that.
  • quietone44
    quietone44 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »

Without looking bulky?
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options

Without looking bulky?

absolutely...you will not suddenly look like a male pro bodybuilder. ever.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options

Without looking bulky?

you wont get bulky its VERY hard especially for females....doesnt just happen accidentally it takes years of very dedicated work/ Side note low weights really wont do anything
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Without looking bulky?

Great read about that here (from a female perspective, no less): https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/strength-training/heavy-bulky/
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    In the thread that @malibu927 posted have a look at the AllPro programme.

It will give you a higher rep range and increases the reps before weight. This will let the weights you have last a little longer.

You won't get bulky. It takes a lot of dedication for a woman to get bulky.

Cheers, h.
  • sophia162
    sophia162 Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Without looking bulky?

you wont get bulky its VERY hard especially for females....doesnt just happen accidentally it takes years of very dedicated work/ Side note low weights really wont do anything

It won't? Like, even a little bit? Sorry for piggyback ridin' the post here, but I'm starting strength training (started mid february), so I'm doing whole body (as in no splits) workouts, 3x a week, with 4kg (8.8lbs) dumbbells. Following the guidelines of the stickies provided here in MFP. I really, really, really can't afford to buy heavier ones, and won't be able to afford them for quite a while (family medical crisis).

Will these contribute at all to my goals (of loosing fat while maintaining muscle and increasing fitness)? =( ?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Not gonna look bulky. My profile pic is from eating in a SURPLUS and lifting heavy and I don't look (that) bulky. You're going to look nice and lean as you lose fat and continue to maintain muscle mass by lifting.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,458 Member
    Options
    sophia162 wrote: »

Without looking bulky?

It won't? Like, even a little bit? Sorry for piggyback ridin' the post here, but I'm starting strength training (started mid february), so I'm doing whole body (as in no splits) workouts, 3x a week, with 4kg (8.8lbs) dumbbells. Following the guidelines of the stickies provided here in MFP. I really, really, really can't afford to buy heavier ones, and won't be able to afford them for quite a while (family medical crisis).

Will these contribute at all to my goals (of loosing fat while maintaining muscle and increasing fitness)? =( ?

Of course it contributes. Any movement burns calories, anything that challenges your muscles increases strength. It's just not the very most effective or time efficient route. Eventually (possibly soon), to keep challenging yourself, you'll need to increase sets/reps and it will take increasing amounts of time for a sub-maximal return.

You might want to check out some of the beginner bodyweight programs in the thread linked in a post above. They don't require lots of equipment, and have well-thought-out progression built in.

Hang in there!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Without looking bulky?

This is false. The absence of progressive overload won't do anything but body builders train with "light weight" compared to power lifters. I use light weight for isolation work and hypertrophy.
  • sophia162
    sophia162 Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Without looking bulky?

Of course it contributes. Any movement burns calories, anything that challenges your muscles increases strength. It's just not the very most effective or time efficient route. Eventually (possibly soon), to keep challenging yourself, you'll need to increase sets/reps and it will take increasing amounts of time for a sub-maximal return.

You might want to check out some of the beginner bodyweight programs in the thread linked in a post above. They don't require lots of equipment, and have well-thought-out progression built in.

Hang in there!

Cool. Thanks for the info and I'll look in to ways to progress without adding weight (just yet). I admit my current workout is feeling less and less of a challenge, so it's inevitable that I take it up a notch.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Without looking bulky?

Hang in there!

Cool. Thanks for the info and I'll look in to ways to progress without adding weight (just yet). I admit my current workout is feeling less and less of a challenge, so it's inevitable that I take it up a notch.

You put your finger on it.
    Without challenging yourself then there's no reason for your body to adapt.

You certainly can challenge yourself with light weights but your volume has to go up to compensate and produce overload. Even advanced lifters can do it but it takes a lot of time and quite frankly is unpleasant. German Volume Training is one example - it's nasty to do and nasty the next day too!

Overload via increasing weight is more effective for strength gains and is more time efficient.

Second the suggestion to include some bodyweight exercises in your routine - no equipment to purchase and fit in a full body routine very well.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Sorry i agree with you guys my wording was off, I was talking in terms of the OP's goal to portion and shape her body. Sometimes i forget im not just talking to Op lol. Light weights wont change the way you look when compared to heavy weights which force your body to build muscle which is where shaping comes from. Otherwise your just spinning your wheels with what you have if your not progressing in weight or reps you wont build anything.

Whats that saying- along the lines of- do what youve always done get what youve always gotten? Need to progress to see progress
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sorry i agree with you guys my wording was off, I was talking in terms of the OP's goal to portion and shape her body. Sometimes i forget im not just talking to Op lol. Light weights wont change the way you look when compared to heavy weights which force your body to build muscle which is where shaping comes from. Otherwise your just spinning your wheels with what you have if your not progressing in weight or reps you wont build anything.

Whats that saying- along the lines of- do what youve always done get what youve always gotten? Need to progress to see progress

@JaydedMiss
    Actually you aren't quite right - you absolutely can and do build muscle with light weights / high rep and it's the building muscle that changes your shape.
    Overload isn't just by increasing weight remember, probably the most efficient way though and best for strength gains. It's more accurate to say that overloading your muscles causes growth rather than heavy weights causes muscle growth.

Light weights and low reps are (virtually) a waste of time though which is I think what you mean, better than nothing but not by much. All too frequently the low/low combination is what you see in gyms and yes that is just spinning your wheels. The irrational or misguided fear of accidentally getting bulky is stopping people training effectively.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts 5x5 is an excellent beginner program. 5 lifts... 5 sets 5 reps... it’s important to note that finding an overall program with compound lifting sequences will not only achieve results, it will help prevent injuries by balancing the work across all major muscle groups... there’s a free app... that keeps track of your progress.

If you are going to freestyle... do a minimum of 4 sets and maximum of 10-15 reps with a 1-1/2 to 3 minute rest between sets the last 2-3 reps should be challenging... start your weight wherever you like and increase by 2-1/2 pound increments each session for each lift until the last set becomes really difficult. Then back the weights off by 10-20 lbs and begin the “climb” again... in the mean time educate yourself on complimentary diet and nutrition... even guys have a hard time bulking without dedicated nutrition and supplements to increase bulk... as a last word make sure you spend some time on flexibility training before each lifting session otherwise you will increase your chance of injury