How much damage can one bad day cause.

Options
IrRevd
IrRevd Posts: 38 Member
edited April 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Im curious to know much damage can be done by one bad day.

For example, if soneone was reguarly to eat around 2000 calories and then had one day of eating really badly (4/5000 calories) how much damage could that day realistically cause?

My secondry question is related I guess but us there a limit as to how much weight you can gain in a day?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    One pound of fatty tissue equals 3500 calories.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    It would depend if your regular intake is a deficit or maintenance...

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Nothing a week can't fix if you're maintaining. If you're losing, you'll basically undo a week or so of dieting. You may even not undo all of it if your typical deficit is on the large side.

ETA: for your second question, it will depend on how many of the calories you've eaten your body ends up absorbing.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    IrRevd wrote: »

For example, if soneone was reguarly to eat around 2000 calories and then had one day of eating really badly (4/5000 calories) how much damage could that day realistically cause?

My secondry question is related I guess but us there a limit as to how much weight you can gain in a day?

It kind of depends on what you ate but the short answer is practically no damage at all. At worst you main gain some water weight but actual fat would be negligible at best. It is no more easier to gain a pound in a single day than it is to lose one.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

It kind of depends on what you ate but the short answer is practically no damage at all. At worst you main gain some water weight but actual fat would be negligible at best. It is no more easier to gain a pound in a single day than it is to lose one.

I like what you said but is it true.? It seems way easier to gain than to lose. I hope you are right.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    flippy1234 wrote: »

I like what you said but is it true.? It seems way easier to gain than to lose. I hope you are right.

Personally, I think I could gain a pound (real weight, not just water weight) fairly easily in one day, but it would be demonically difficult to lose one in the same of time . . . so I think that part is maybe hyperbole for many of us. Losing a true pound as fast as possible, without it being a near-death experience, would take me 2-3 days, I think (now that I'm at a healthy weight).

But I 100% agrees that massively overeating on the rare occasion has very little impact. You may want to read the link I posted upthread for evidence. ;)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    That is a myth we tell ourselves. It keeps us from being happy during weight loss because we are so uptight we err being too aggressive and it is not sustainable.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    That is a myth we tell ourselves. It keeps us from being happy during weight loss because we are so uptight we err being too aggressive and it is not sustainable.

Endorsed.
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    If those bad days are regular then my guess would be a lot of damage however 1 bad day in a week I don't think will do too much providing you are eating at the mfp recommendations the rest of the time. I've had at least 1 bad day a week in recent weeks due to birthdays weddings etc and I've still lost weight.

But I guess it will also depend on how much over you go over on a bad day. At 1200 cals a day for me eating 4000 would be a big no no!
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Not as much as you think. As long as you leave it to 1 day, after a few days you’ll even back out.
  • r3488
    r3488 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I had been eating in a deficit at about 1200 to 1400 calories per day, but for my birthday last year, I didn't care. I had a big dinner and dessert (along with eating normally the rest of the day). I ate just under 3,000 calories that day. The next morning, I stepped on the scale and... had LOST 0.2 pounds from the day before. ONE day doesn't undo all of the hard work. :smile:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Personally, I think I could gain a pound (real weight, not just water weight) fairly easily in one day, but it would be demonically difficult to lose one in the same of time . . . so I think that part is maybe hyperbole for many of us.

The body is not really that efficient so it may be entirely possible to gain a pound of fat in a day but it would take effort and planning. It would probably require something like eating sugar all day and trying to keep the insulin/glucose absorption window open.

Eating sugar wouldn't be the best option for this experiment, especially for someone who is active or dieting. A good amount would be wasted to replenish glycogen as it's not the preferred macro for fat storage. Fat is more easily stored as body fat, but probably would not be realistic to drink pure oil. The best meal would probably be a made of high fat foods palatable enough for the person to be able to eat a lot, and as low in protein as possible. So I'm thinking would mostly be a mix of fat and carbs, but predominantly fat. Things like cakes and high fat candy bars come to mind.

Eating a lot at once can affect the ability of the body to absorb calories, so it would definitely need to be more than a 3500 calorie surplus, and any increase in metabolic rate following this meal, if any, should be accounted for too.

More than definitely possible, though, even without the above considerations for someone who is capable of eating as much as I am.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Personally, I think I could gain a pound (real weight, not just water weight) fairly easily in one day, but it would be demonically difficult to lose one in the same of time . . . so I think that part is maybe hyperbole for many of us.

The body is not really that efficient so it may be entirely possible to gain a pound of fat in a day but it would take effort and planning. It would probably require something like eating sugar all day and trying to keep the insulin/glucose absorption window open.

Eating sugar wouldn't be the best option for this experiment, especially for someone who is active or dieting. A good amount would be wasted to replenish glycogen as it's not the preferred macro for fat storage. Fat is more easily stored as body fat, but probably would not be realistic to drink pure oil. The best meal would probably be a made of high fat foods palatable enough for the person to be able to eat a lot, and as low in protein as possible. So I'm thinking would mostly be a mix of fat and carbs, but predominantly fat. Things like cakes and high fat candy bars come to mind.

Eating a lot at once can affect the ability of the body to absorb calories, so it would definitely need to be more than a 3500 calorie surplus, and any increase in metabolic rate following this meal, if any, should be accounted for too.

More than definitely possible, though, even without the above considerations for someone who is capable of eating as much as I am.

We think alike. I'm not going to do the experiment, but that's the route I'd try if I did. Plus enough adult bevs that impulse control was inhibited, the fat calories would get stored while the alcohol calories were prioritized to be processed out, and I'd be more likely to lay around a lot . . . but not enough to cause nausea. ;) And I'll bet it would be fun. ;););)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    None...some water weight and scale weight from more waste in your system.

How much actual weight (fat) do you think you'd lose fasting for a day? Same concept. The human body strives for homeostasis and is pretty good about becoming more or less efficient depending on energy intake in the short term. Consistently eating in a deficit or surplus is necessary to override your body's ability to maintain homeostasis.