Need some beginner help on weight lifting!

Options
2»

Replies

• sophia162
    sophia162 Posts: 115 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    sophia162 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    quietone44 wrote: »
    jdog022 wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Read the pinned post in the Fitness forum for a list of proven programs to follow.. It's usually best to follow the programs as written instead of modifying them. Why do you want to work on endurance?

I don't actually I just prefer it over strength training. I'm not looking to bench press my weight or anything I'd rather be able to do more reps and sets then to be able to lift 150lb deadlift. I just want to proportion everything and shape my arms and chest a bit.

training "heavy" is what will do that.

Without looking bulky?

you wont get bulky its VERY hard especially for females....doesnt just happen accidentally it takes years of very dedicated work/ Side note low weights really wont do anything

It won't? Like, even a little bit? Sorry for piggyback ridin' the post here, but I'm starting strength training (started mid february), so I'm doing whole body (as in no splits) workouts, 3x a week, with 4kg (8.8lbs) dumbbells. Following the guidelines of the stickies provided here in MFP. I really, really, really can't afford to buy heavier ones, and won't be able to afford them for quite a while (family medical crisis).

Will these contribute at all to my goals (of loosing fat while maintaining muscle and increasing fitness)? =( ?

Of course it contributes. Any movement burns calories, anything that challenges your muscles increases strength. It's just not the very most effective or time efficient route. Eventually (possibly soon), to keep challenging yourself, you'll need to increase sets/reps and it will take increasing amounts of time for a sub-maximal return.

You might want to check out some of the beginner bodyweight programs in the thread linked in a post above. They don't require lots of equipment, and have well-thought-out progression built in.

Hang in there!

Cool. Thanks for the info and I'll look in to ways to progress without adding weight (just yet). I admit my current workout is feeling less and less of a challenge, so it's inevitable that I take it up a notch.

You put your finger on it.
    Without challenging yourself then there's no reason for your body to adapt.

You certainly can challenge yourself with light weights but your volume has to go up to compensate and produce overload. Even advanced lifters can do it but it takes a lot of time and quite frankly is unpleasant. German Volume Training is one example - it's nasty to do and nasty the next day too!

Overload via increasing weight is more effective for strength gains and is more time efficient.

Second the suggestion to include some bodyweight exercises in your routine - no equipment to purchase and fit in a full body routine very well.

Very nice. Thanks for taking the time. I've been reading all the replies and I've definitely learned a bit more.

Now, I have been increasing the volume of reps, but it's only been a noticeable challenge for all the "arm" exercises. Huff. But legs and chest, for example, I could go on quiiiiite more... but it gets boring, ha! >.<

Anyway, I'll research how to get the most out of these things... and consider buying a heavier set. I mean, my situation won't change much either way, it's just the feeling...

Thanks all.
    And salutations to the OP, I hope these answers help you in some way too!
  • quietone44
    quietone44 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    Strong lifts 5x5 is an excellent beginner program. 5 lifts... 5 sets 5 reps... it’s important to note that finding an overall program with compound lifting sequences will not only achieve results, it will help prevent injuries by balancing the work across all major muscle groups... there’s a free app... that keeps track of your progress.

If you are going to freestyle... do a minimum of 4 sets and maximum of 10-15 reps with a 1-1/2 to 3 minute rest between sets the last 2-3 reps should be challenging... start your weight wherever you like and increase by 2-1/2 pound increments each session for each lift until the last set becomes really difficult. Then back the weights off by 10-20 lbs and begin the “climb” again... in the mean time educate yourself on complimentary diet and nutrition... even guys have a hard time bulking without dedicated nutrition and supplements to increase bulk... as a last word make sure you spend some time on flexibility training before each lifting session otherwise you will increase your chance of injury

Thank you!!!! This was very helpful
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Read the pinned post in the Fitness forum for a list of proven programs to follow.. It's usually best to follow the programs as written instead of modifying them. Why do you want to work on endurance?

I don't actually I just prefer it over strength training. I'm not looking to bench press my weight or anything I'd rather be able to do more reps and sets then to be able to lift 150lb deadlift. I just want to proportion everything and shape my arms and chest a bit.

Without looking bulky?

you wont get bulky its VERY hard especially for females....doesnt just happen accidentally it takes years of very dedicated work/ Side note low weights really wont do anything

It won't? Like, even a little bit? Sorry for piggyback ridin' the post here, but I'm starting strength training (started mid february), so I'm doing whole body (as in no splits) workouts, 3x a week, with 4kg (8.8lbs) dumbbells. Following the guidelines of the stickies provided here in MFP. I really, really, really can't afford to buy heavier ones, and won't be able to afford them for quite a while (family medical crisis).

Will these contribute at all to my goals (of loosing fat while maintaining muscle and increasing fitness)? =( ?

While something is of course better than nothing, if you are able to do a whole body workout 3 times per week, it's probably not challenging enough for you.

If freecycle.org is in your area, that's one place to start for free weights. When finances permit, you might get good prices on CraigsList or thrift stores as well.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Without looking bulky?

While something is of course better than nothing, if you are able to do a whole body workout 3 times per week, it's probably not challenging enough for you.
    Why do you say that? There are plenty of legitimate 3x/wk whole body beginner programs. A whole body routine, if intelligently designed, is a great starting place for a beginner.
  • walking4me2day
    walking4me2day Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have just started again on Strong Lifts 5x5....I like it. Give it a try.