Online dating faux pas

shenanigans_
shenanigans_ Posts: 457 Member
edited April 2018 in Chit-Chat
If you're single, like moi, you may know the pain of online dating. While certainly very entertaining, some profiles can be downright obnoxious. What are some things that you find funny/inappropriate/rude to include in a profile?

Some of my favorite cliches:
my kids are my world
i'm relaxed and laid back
not looking for anything serious

Not a fan of shirtless selfies in front of dirty mirrors with clothes lying all over the floor.
Nor am I fan of posting pics of your kids.

Replies

• projectsix
    projectsix Posts: 5,088 Member
    edited April 2018
    denny_mac wrote: »
    Here are the things I didn't like to see when I used to use those:
    • Repeated use of the phrase "NO HOOK UPS". No one (female) is going to put on their profile that they're looking for a hook up, so I know YOU aren't looking for one. The guys who are going to try to hook up are not going to be deterred by you putting that in your profile.

Truth right here. Nor do we believe you now. I know multiple women who have "no hookups" in their profile and just slept with the guy day 1 first date. I know of 3 women, one being one I dated wanted me to stay over first date.

• RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    "I love to laugh!"

No *kitten*--who the hell doesn't?

Also, I don't mind that the bulk of men (in my area, specifically) put a picture of them holding a fish or buck or other wild game as their main profile picture. I didn't realize why this was so prevalent until I realized... probably that's the only picture they have of their entire body because they're unlikely (in this area, again) to take selfies.

I cannot excuse the "I'm taking a selfie with the camera positioned at my crotch looking up at my face" selfie. I understand you don't want anyone to know you're taking a selfie... But, c'mon... If I want to know what that view looks like, I'll get there myself...
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    I don't use online dating sites anymore, but some of my favorites were:
    • Older men looking for much younger women
    • Divulging too much personal information (like income, or herpes)
    • Pics with their kids
    • Recently separated men

• shenanigans_
    shenanigans_ Posts: 457 Member
    hud54014 wrote: »
    I don't use online dating sites anymore, but some of my favorites were:
    • Older men looking for much younger women
    • Divulging too much personal information (like income, or herpes)
    • Pics with their kids
    • Recently separated men

Ugh, yes to all of those.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Bathroom profile pics....ewww!
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    When they have pictures of only there shoes or a few 20s
  • projectsix
    Online dating sites = No thanks

This.
  • projectsix
    RivenV wrote: »
    "I love to laugh!"

HAHA ! I'm glad you said this. I always hated this too, I mean we all love to laugh. You want me to be your Jester?! Is that what you're asking? :p
  • RivenV
    "I love to laugh!"

HAHA ! I'm glad you said this. I always hated this too, I mean we all love to laugh. You want me to be your Jester?! Is that what you're asking? :p

giphy.gif

I hate it so much. I only ever saw it abundantly on other women's profiles, interestingly.

Also in abundance on women's profiles (around here), "I love spending time outdoors! Camping, hunting, fishing, etc!" I mean, maybe they really do love those things... Or maybe those are major extracurricular activities of most men around here... so they're just saying it to be marketable to a potential mate?
  • projectsix
    "I love to laugh!"

giphy.gif

I hate it so much. I only ever saw it abundantly on other women's profiles, interestingly.

Also in abundance on women's profiles (around here), "I love spending time outdoors! Camping, hunting, fishing, etc!" I mean, maybe they really do love those things... Or maybe those are major extracurricular activities of most men around here... so they're just saying it to be marketable to a potential mate?

Yeah that's typically a woman thing I think, the whole "make me laugh" although I didn't look at men's profiles.
  • RivenV
    Mr_L33 wrote: »
    " i want a man who can handle me "

handle yoself.

Reminds me of "If you can't handle me at my worst, then you don't deserve me at my best!"

Ok, well, when do we get around to your "best" because most of the chicks who use this phrase are in "worst" mode forevar.
  • go_cubs

handle yoself.

Don’t want no *kitten* *kitten* man
  • projectsix

handle yoself.

Don’t want no *kitten* *kitten* man

Can you give me even just a hint here? f word for the first one I think.
  • go_cubs
    B
    A
    That’s all I’ll say
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    ZombieKillaPrincess Posts: 404 Member
    "I love to laugh!"

giphy.gif

THIS IS AMAZING. LOL

I hate online dating so much...

Cliches I see often:
    Not looking for anything serious
    Open book, just ask me

Things I hate:
    Dirty mirror pics
    Excessive gym selfies/flexing
    Pics with kids (lots of creeps online)
    Super close ups, bad lighting, bad angles... I mean, are you even trying?
    Being messaged "Heyyy" or "Hiiii"
    "Separated" or recently divorced

• activities1
    activities1 Posts: 3,475 Member
    First message I got was a pic of their diick. I mean some weren’t even maintained! Lol the least they could do is trim before sending without knowing their name.

Also, not a fan of pics with kids. Leave the kiddos out of it. There’s major creeps out there.
  • -Pictures of kids scare me
    -Picture of possessions make me roll my eyes
    -Inflated salaries
    -Men with sparkly eyes or any type of filtering/photoshopping
    -Braggy profiles annoy me too as status never impresses me.
    -Quotes like “Looking for my forever” or anyone who shares what they want in th next 5 years of their life.

Calm down boi we’ve not even eaten dinner yet.

All of this.
    Pageantry is obnoxious